Speaker Pods...

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Speaker Pods...

Post by PEET »

I have had to make speaker pods for the door bottoms for a customer and just wanted to know if there was any interest in me making more??
NO idea on prices etc just wanted to see if there is ANY interest. They would be available for in plain MDF or upholstered to spec if need be.

Look like this upholstered and fitted...
There is a slight part of door metal to be removed but that is easy and also 6 x 9's could be fitted.
Let me know what ya think please? Peet

Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Speaker Pods...

Post by R0B »

hhmm.how much?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

I have some of these and my only concern would be the weight. Mine are the same shape and after a while they pull on the door card (hardboard OEM types) and start to break the panel with constant door slamming.

Mine are screwed onto the door panel itself in various places so it's not a fixing issue, just the sheer weight of MDF and 6x9's.

I have another set of cab cards to make soon and would be looking to rethink my original setup.

Is there a more lightweight alternative that could be used?

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

Tidy looking that, I'd be interested in a set. :ok

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

poshbuggers wrote: Is there a more lightweight alternative that could be used?

If you look for it you can buy lightwieght MDF. 30% lighter than the normal stuff you buy off the shelf.
Alternatively you could laminate some thinner pieces. Making the 'pod' full thickness where strength is needed around the speeker and around the edges. Or you could achieve the same with a router by removing excess weight from behind?
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

poshbuggers wrote:I have some of these and my only concern would be the weight. Mine are the same shape and after a while they pull on the door card (hardboard OEM types) and start to break the panel with constant door slamming.

Mine are screwed onto the door panel itself in various places so it's not a fixing issue, just the sheer weight of MDF and 6x9's.

I have another set of cab cards to make soon and would be looking to rethink my original setup.

Is there a more lightweight alternative that could be used?

You could mount the MDF section through the door card and metalwork. Put some threaded inserts in to the MDF around the speaker area where the weight will be and then mount the speaker in to the MDF.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Fibreglass is used in door pods
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

PEET

Post by PEET »

Yes they are and they are meant more for major sound systems can look fantastic and thats fine if you want to spend 2-3 days fabricating a pair and gettin covered in dust :D - I can also do these if they ar ever wanted and my builder does them for ICE show winning cars but they aren't going to appeal to most 80-90 folk!! :lol:
I'm just trying to give people a cheap option that they can fit easily and with as little work and as stock look as poss for the pound.
As for weight issues a hex head screw can be fitted in each corner direct into the steel around the speaker or some other fixing depending how fussy you are. :ok
These are on new clips and are solid as, the speaker isnt a huge heavy one either. BUT these are also the prototypes!
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

eatcustard

Post by eatcustard »

You can add me to your list
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

PEET

Post by PEET »

Thanx Mr Custard! :ok

I'm probably looking at just supplying them plain and covered to order as most of us can do that and more important would want to do it ourselves I reckon!
The pattern builder has gone away for a few weeks and I'm off to sweden to get my new Gipsy nex week so be a few weeks til I can get them supplied but I shall start pursuing it.
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

eatcustard

Post by eatcustard »

I would like mine plain, as I will bond it to a new door card, then get that covered

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Clever b'astard :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Istanbul05

Post by Istanbul05 »

Very interested tooooo!! Keep me posted!

Cheers Si

choplee
80-90 Mem No: 8091

Post by choplee »

Deffo interested ...prob plain ,as i'll need the lovely brown leather look ..lol :rofl

aronadams
80-90 Mem No: 8291

Post by aronadams »

Also very interested, would want mine black, give me a bell when you are up and running,

Aron

Weston Super Mare 1989 T25 Leisure Drive Conversion, my first one!