My Door cards

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aberdeenbus
80-90 Mem No: 6846

My Door cards

Post by Aberdeenbus »

Well the Aberdeen bus is slowly coming out of its 2 year Hibernation all the rust has gone many of the panels have been replaced or recrafted, it’s on its 3rd 1.6 td engine which seems to be working and my mate Alan whose garage it is in is staring to scan the small ads for a Trabant to replace the once rotting pile that graced his garage.

Metal work and Paint work are Alan’s forte as it would seem is making brackets, holders and metal pipe work out of just about anything and recreating many obsolete VW parts

My forte is the other bits the electrical, wood work and the trimming.

Below are my new door cards.
I bought the ply ones from EBay (they fit kinda and only require a little fettling).
I wanted vinyl cards either embossed or two tone but couldn’t find what I wanted so I made them.

The first picture shows the layouts for the different vinyls

The second shows the middle strip face up and the upper strip face down and a 2mm thick strip of plastic. This sandwich was stapled down using 12mm staples which were then bent over on the reverse side.

The third shows the middle strip filled with 2layers of compressed fleece from Dunelm its non slip and it gives right padded feel (about 3 mm), a sandwich the same as the top is made and again stapled into position.
The fleece (2 layers)is placed under the top and bottom vinyls and they a glue on the reverse face using Evostik spray adhesive and 4mm staples in the corners.

The last three show the finished card and the card plus the door pull (Audi80) and the door handle and door pocket (BMWe36).

I’m quite pleased with them, I chose two different kinds vinyl the middle section being perforated, and a slightly different grey for effect.
To everyone reading this, give it a go, I’ve done it a few times but it really isn’t that hard if you take your time, each card took about 2 hours to do.

Cheers
Si
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Aberdeenbus

Re: My Door cards

Post by Aberdeenbus »

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

they look well smart :ok ..wish i had that sort of talent :cry:

heres me thinking you had done a love heart shape in there too :lol:
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

I_M

Post by I_M »

When I saw the first pic, I thought you were covering the cards in a dog blanket...

uniB
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3694

Post by uniB »

I had my fears too when I saw the dog blanket, then I thought you were embossing love hearts into it! But I'm glad to say the final job looks great, good to see someone trying something a bit different – looking forwarrd to see some more of the build :ok

Dav, Caryl & Mr O Leary

http://www.dubteriors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I make quality VW interiors

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Nice work. :ok :ok
Good tip about the Beemer pockets.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

As said, very nice work!

Not being cheeky/geeky but isn't that a BMW E30 door handle and pocket?

Aberdeenbus

Post by Aberdeenbus »

Yep typo they are from an E30 I rewired the mirror loom so the switch would work my mirrirs and made a small cut out in the top to fit the electric window switches.

Si

Lol dog banket :D

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Aberdeenbus wrote:Yep typo they are from an E30 I rewired the mirror loom so the switch would work my mirrirs and made a small cut out in the top to fit the electric window switches.

Any chance of a couple of pics of these modifications?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

hixsy
80-90 Mem No: 7322

Post by hixsy »

very nicely done, might pinch that idea :-) thx
bye bye orange ! hello white !