help with diesel or LPG....?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

help with diesel or LPG....?

Post by waltraud »

Dear all,

i'm sure this is a frequent debate between the relative sense, economy and long-term environmental considerations but basically I;'ve got a 1.9DG and am starting to do longer and more frequent trips so reckon that LPG would pay for itself in a year at 6000 miles p/a and a conversion costing 1000 poundsa. BUT i'm also aware that at any given point i mght also need a new engine as they are so troublemsome...even thought this one is strong and seems ok for now, probably not that old I'm guessing. SO i wondered about going the route of a late SDI converstion, based on 500 engine, 400 parts to go diesel, sundries etc and then either do myself if it looks within my scope or pay a well known conversion guru to do it. My thinking is that I'll keep the van long-term and it should make sesne over a few years. At present i've just gone London to brighton and back and it cost a bomb and put me off driving!!! That would be a real shame. Also my wife is badly asthmatic and i've always thought that the soot from a diesel is very bad for the body and planet??

thanks for your thoughts

Tim
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: help with diesel or LPG....?

Post by R0B »

the devils fuel brigade will tell you to go down that road.and we petrol/lpg brigade will tell you to get it gassed.getting it gassed will be a lot less mither.but its down to you mate.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

thanks Rob, why did lpg win you over apart from less hassle conversion?

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Gas it ... lean, green and carbon clean :pimp

Ian :ok
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Seems like i've chosen the pro gas forum, should have known that Diesel would not be considered an alternative fuel! My brother who's a Green Party candidate swears by his Golf SDi as it does 60 / gallon but i someohow can't add up that diesel means green? T

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

LPG lets me keep the flat four VW Boxer engine... utterly fab sounding, unique, simple and weeping with heritage.
I must have saved five or six thousand pounds in fuel since I had it fitted.

Moving up from the 1.9 to the 2.1 DJ was DIY easy peasy. By simply using the DG carb + manifold. with the new engine.
30 BHP increase and no extra fuel costs.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

Strong argument Kev, i've thought about this route also, makes sense. In practice seems to me that 2.1 & lpg =scooby=sdi in terms of diy costs (would need lpg fitted) and it is likely to be dictated by what we can afford, i like the clean running of lpg but the reliability and economy of sdi. Tim

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

As Rob said, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. We gassed our 1.9 almost 3 years ago. Like it fine, but not sure I would do it again as diesel conversion is only slightly more expensive up front, but can sell your present engine for a few quid and be almost even steven. Cost / mile of fuel is almost identical as 1.9 tdi will return low to mid 30'smpg at £1.18/litre while gas 17-21mpg at £.56-68/litre. Diesel is easier to find then autogas too. With proper planning autogas is not a big problem to find, but diesel needs no planning as it's everywhere.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS