cutting side windows into a pannel van

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ed82

cutting side windows into a pannel van

Post by ed82 »

Hi Folks,

New to this forum, just perchased my first T25 been in the vw scene for many years now owning mainly mk2 golf gti's.
Just Got myself a T25 Watercooled panel van and im looking at the best ways to fit some side windows. I've done some thinking and I really want glass as apposed to the perspex side windows.
Are templates available?
are the caravelle windows and seals a straight forward option as they are widly availabe on the bay?
Any advice would be appricated.

Cheers Ed

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: cutting side windows into a pannel van

Post by billy739 »

caravelle/minibus windows will not fit unless you fit the window section panels(welding/filler/ respray)

panel van conversion windows come in many sizes depends who made them .
if you buy a used set of conversion windows you will find the rubber seals have hardened , whilst they can be reused they wont seal like they should , causing leaking and rust, so ideally budget on new seals as well, these are available from most window companies.

so get the windows before you cut the hole!

top job would be to fit the proper panels and fit recessed caravelle tinted windows, but wont be cheap

if you get stuck rattybird on hear may be able to help with some 'dont do's' lol

ed82

Post by ed82 »

So am I right in thinking I can get WHOLE CARAVELLE glass set buy the different seals for the van conversion cut a hole the size of the glass + seal and pop in the windows? or do I need different glass?
Any one done it or has pics?
I like the stock look of the caravelle glass but I am thinking I might just fit glass in the sliding door and opp. So would it be easyer just to buy a sliding door with a window in it? oening ones seem to look a bit odd. I was thinking of a roof vent to get round this.
My van needs a spray job any way and my intention is to fit out the interior and glass then remove it bebore I paint it.

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

to fit proper caravelle windows you will need to weld these parts in,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other wise its non standard glass, and that comes in lots of different sizes , some flat , some curved!
as for the door easiest , not always cheapest is caravelle/ factory window sliding door , good ones are £150 ish

seems alot of work , but the finished result is always lots better!

sliding or fixed windows is then up to you ,all standard sizes clear or green tint from factory

ed82

Post by ed82 »

Any one got pics of non standard windows fitted to there panel vans?
has any one fitted after market windows whats the best ones out there?

I had a mad moment and was thinking of cutting small squaire windows in the door as the inside frame sort of suggests this and one in the side panel to make three small windows down each side, then just get some glass cut some new seals and I have something a bit different.
I like two tone painted vans and thought this small window mod would look good with the window sections in cream with the rest of the van in light blue if you get my drift.

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

look at any pictures of an autohomes/ autosleeper camper , they are all panel conversions!

all westys/some devons are minibus/caravelle based

elsid
80-90 Mem No: 4623

Post by elsid »

There is an article on fitting windows to T4/T5's in issue three 2010 0f Volks World Camper & Bus. It shows you how to cut the holes etc but doesn't say anything about the glass. In "Cost of Job" it says POA Just Kampers so I presume the glass comes from them, I don't know if they do it for T25's.
Sid
Sid from Bridgwater, Somerset, member No. 4623
1985 Autosleeper VHT 1.9 auto. (later called Trident) converted to run on LPG

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

if your going to put windows in its well worth the extra work of fitting caravell windows.

there are quite a few people that break these vans that would be happy to cut out the rebated window frames.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

rattybird
80-90 Mem No: 3979

Post by rattybird »

Dont do it unless you realy want to do it its so much F'n Hassle :ok
" Its hip to be square "

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

its an easy job , just research it and do it right , find out which kit you need and what windows you want

obviousy caravelle window sections are easiiset as you dont mess with the window opening!

cut corners and it will turn out rough

jonnyels
80-90 Mem No: 5114

Post by jonnyels »

you should try http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
We brought a slider for behind the driver and a solid window for the sliding door.I cant remember how much we payed now but it was well worth it probaly the best thing we have done to our van.
The guys there are very good aswell they know what there talking about and if you want to do it your self they can supply a fitting kit or like us they can recomend some one in your area that use there windows and fit them.

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

I fitted my own window in. Quite easy when you stop and think about it. Cant beleive som of the prices of the panels fo fitting factory windows. I paid a tenner for my panel complete with the glass and seal.
This is the panel i fitted meself.

Would do it again as well. Really easy to do just check everything before doing it.
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

wiggy
80-90 Mem No: 4646

Post by wiggy »

when fitting pannel van converstion window do you cut hole 5mm bigger than window to allow fitting rubber seal confused :run

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Post by jiffies »

I've got an authomes conversion which from reading the postings was once a panel van. The van had all the window holes cut out but the glass was not fitted in the side ones. Some seals were present but not all. This is where the problem arises. I have no idea what type of seals I need & how many per window. I think I need a minimum of two seals per window. Maybe 3. If anyone has any info on the type of seals I need & where to get them from that would be great.
Claytonrite Rubber was one of the seals i heard I need.
Cheers
Jiffies