battery question

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

battery question

Post by dumpy »

Hi

I have a split charge system in the van (homebuilt), now i have been using a 'standard' battery as the 'leisure battery' which i'm aware is not ideal because of the differing structures of leisure and starter batteries and yada yada, but I had one lying around and have been using it with a mind to buy a leisure batt when I could afford one.

well lo, and indeed behold, i have come across another starter battery. now am i ok to simply plonk this one in next to the first 'not quite leisure' battery in parallel (ie hook up the + and - terminals to each other), or does it not quite work like that, i'm fairly sure it does but physics was never my strong point (for I... am an artiste!). also will the split charge charge both the leisure batteries up.

if this works, it leaves me in much the same situation, but a more powerful same situation until i cough up for a leisure battery.

your thoughts would be appreciated big time.

thanks

PS

what are the heavy duty, idiot proof connectors you can get for batteries, I want to make a 'remote' jump start terminal to go behind the engine access flap to save having to empty the van every time I need a boost! I'm sure you can buy them?
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

daschmoo
80-90 Mem No: 4507

Re: battery question

Post by daschmoo »

That is how you connect them up but be aware that if the batteries are not in equal condition then the bad one will drag down the good one until they find a level... and this "level" could mean ruining the good one!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: battery question

Post by ghost123uk »

daschmoo wrote:That is how you connect them up but be aware that if the batteries are not in equal condition then the bad one will drag down the good one until they find a level... and this "level" could mean ruining the good one!

Agreed with daschmoo :) ( mad handle that :lol: )

Normal batteries work fine as leisure batteries as long as you NEVER let them run till they are flat - that ruins them in no time. I use a normal battery as my leisure, and I too have a home made (simple relay) "split charge circuit" = no trouble in 2 years (yet !!)

Re =

dumpy wrote: what are the heavy duty, idiot proof connectors you can get for batteries, I want to make a 'remote' jump start terminal to go behind the engine access flap to save having to empty the van every time I need a boost! I'm sure you can buy them?

Can't say I can recommend that - you have to real careful with those sort of currents (100's of AMPS)
Best thing is to have a decent main starter battery and arrange it so it cannot be run down by ancillary equipment = cheaper and just better all round. ( IMHO of course :) )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here