LPG tank underneath where to put spare wheel?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

LPG tank underneath where to put spare wheel?

Post by nesty »

I am having a LPG conversion at the end of the month. I am having LPG tank that goes underneath in the spare wheel bit.

However I will be travelling on to a hoilday destination straight after the conversion. I am now faced with a decision where to put the spare wheel pre-conversion.

What has everyone else done?
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: LPG tank underneath where to put spare wheel?

Post by lloydy »

people seem to put them on the roof or carry a can tyre weld. or if your full of money do a search on here for rear wheel carrier
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Some chap asked the same question on here a few weeks/months ago... funnily every suggestion he argued with and didnt like.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Maybe he doesnt go anywhere now in case he gets a puncture... :rofl :rofl

nesty

Post by nesty »

I got a Holdsworth and the only viable place I can see at the moment would be just inside on left when you open the tailgate. Though not sure if a mounting kit is available?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

yep VW used to fit them there. look at this

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might be gone now

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

Post by ambivert »

why not stick it on the front like a bay? i know some folks say that's not good if you have a head on collision because it will take the impact instead of the bumper, but lets face it, if you have a big tank of highly flammable gas up front you'll probably shagged anyway
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

How common is it to put the LPG tank there ?

I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't allowed to put it there due to safety issues re ground clearance. Could be wrong (probably am :wink: )

My Doughnut tank is at the back offside 1/4, so I guess a spare wheel would go there as they are around the same size. (as long as you ain't got furniture there - I bet you have :? )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

not very common, only because of the size, not safty issues.

You would be filling up every 150 miles.

K
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

nesty

Post by nesty »

The 3 options I had was underneath the pullout bed. Couldn't go there as Propex is there.

Or have the wardrobe at the back dismantled for the tank. I didn't want that either.

The underslug tank was the only viable option for me! It's 55 litres. The Standard petrol fuel tank 60 litres. Not much difference?

I might have to out the spare wheel like the tank in the picture. (This tank wasn't an option anyway).

http://www.gasure.co.uk/sales.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

mines in the wardrobe, gasure take it apart and put it back together again. only takes up about 300mm at bottom of cupboard.
With the 55l tank [or any size LPG tank] it only fills to 80%, so is a very small tank. Not a problem if you don't mind filling up a lot. I went for the bigger one in the wardrobe and would actually still like it bigger, i might get the spare wheel one as well and run them in tandem
Lloyd

horizontal kipper
80-90 Mem No: 2661

Post by horizontal kipper »

gasure fitted my westy joker with twin tanks one underneath where the spare wheel used to go the other small tank under the rear seat next to a propex and battery charger gives a fill capacity of 62ltrs, dont know if any other vans have this setup but we find it great. spare wheel is now mounted on the front of a full height bull bar off a doka, looks a bit mad max :mrgreen: when its on the van (removed for work at the minute).

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

nesty wrote:The 3 options I had was underneath the pullout bed. Couldn't go there as Propex is there.

Or have the wardrobe at the back dismantled for the tank. I didn't want that either.

The underslug tank was the only viable option for me! It's 55 litres. The Standard petrol fuel tank 60 litres. Not much difference?

I might have to out the spare wheel like the tank in the picture. (This tank wasn't an option anyway).

http://www.gasure.co.uk/sales.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What dimension is that tank as it must hang low..

nesty

Post by nesty »

I don't know, but I did explain to Gas-sure that my T25 is lowered.

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

toomanytoys wrote: What dimension is that tank as it must hang low..

Well thats a pretty retrospect question is it not Simon, if it hung too low it would not meet the standard, so by logic it will not hang low will it?
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Great thread as I'm calling Elite tomorrow to get booked in, as the guy who knows about LPG was off yesterday and forgot to call him today. I do not want to lose any space in the van so will be going for the one in the spare wheel carrier, I think!
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk