Rock & roll bed & seatbelt adviser

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Re: Rock & roll bed & seatbelt adviser

Post by Willoughby »

Hi jiffies

I fitted a 3pt belt last year on a 3/4 bed. Got the kit from Brickwerks. http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some pic's

Kev
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Post by jiffies »

Willougby
Thanks for the great pictures. Am I right in thinking the kit Brickwerks sell has one over the shoulder belt & one lap belt? Is there a way of having two over the shoulder seat belts if a have a ¾ width rock & roll bed with cupboards on one side? Do you have any other photos of how the seatbelt works on the cupboard side of the bed?
Cheers
Jiffies

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

Ahh.. I only have the two belts one lap one three point. I don't have one on the cupboard side. :(

The brickwerks kit has one three point belt (left or right) and all the bits you need to fit.

Not sure if/how you can fit 2 two three point belts in you have cupboard fitted some one will be along soon to let us know.

K
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

The only thing I can think of is to have the 3 point belt as you suggest on one side. On the side with the furniture I wonder whether a 3 point racing type harness would work with the 3 fixing points mounted to engine bay & the shoulder straps going over the back of the rock & roll bed

http://www.paddockspares.com/sec700blac ... black.html

Cheers
Jiffies

willard
80-90 Mem No: 5085

Post by willard »

Had an issue with belt location when first got my van a couple of years ago. It had no rear belts and with 2 kids was THE first thing I got sorted after some head scratching and searching on here...which was very helpful if only to make me realise what wouldn't work in my van.

I have a 3/4 R&R bed and have 2 3pt belts and a centre lap strap. I have fitted both the reel and anchored end under the seat, looping THE bebbing up and over the seat back. You can use the mid point guide slit bit in the kit to fit to the rear face of the seat back to ensure that the belt stays at THE correct shoulder position. I used the marked positions for the receivers and drilled the angled engine section and wheel arch to fit the reinforcing plates for the reel and anchored end, and jobs a good-un. This has also been through an MOT and the only comment was that the belt sometimes didn't reel in as quickly as it should but a minor repositioning of the guide onteh seat rear solved this.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned before, but a seat that is not secured to the frame (ie the foam to the R&R bed) is an MOT failure as the whole lot could slide under the belt in a severe head on.

Hope that this information helps. I can take pictures if you want and (try) to post them. Have fun working it out :ok
It's only money....

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Willard
Thanks for the good advise. Photos would be fantastic though it wotld really help me out. Where did you but the 3 point belts from? With regard to the foam not being secured to the frame is an MOT failure. Can this simply be strapped to the bed frame with fabric ties or does it need to be far more secure than this? If so how is it normally done?
Cheers
Jiffies

willard

Post by willard »

Jiffies, I#'ll try an get some pics later today and post then up - seenings as theres no work due to the snow! I guess a lot of youare bored of the stuff, butthis is the first covering that we've had (In Cornwall) since last January.

I bought my belts from JustKampers - probably not the cheapest but convenient at the time. They're the long ones as I wasn't sure where I was gonna fit them when I ordered them. The lap strap is a recovered part from another van (VW).

With regards toteh foam, I believe (but may be wrong) that it must be secured so that it doesn't slip. Mine is now fully bonded to a board, fixed tot eh frame and the whole lot covered in THE finished material so it can't go anywhere. A mate simply has a lip along THE front of the bed which holds the foam back which only works when ther is weight onteh foam - which is when it needs to work, otherwise if he barkes hard the seat ends up onthe floor!

I guess it may depend onteh testing centres interpretation of THE rules as so often seems tobe the case. It may be worth speaking to a test centre that you trust and see what they say. They can be helpful sometimes and aren't always an inconvenience!

I'll try an post thepics later.

Have fun in the snow if you have any...I'm off sledging with the sprogs!
It's only money....

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Post by Epiphone »

fitted rear seat belts today, picked them up from scrapyard for 30 euros for the pair. I assume they were factory fitted and had the same 3 point plate for the reel.

found the hole for the top mounting point behind the upholstry, no problem

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Epiphone
I have the mounting points both sides for a 3 point seat belt but the issue is that one side will be covered with the furniture units so the seat belt fixing point will not be accessible. A lap belt is no good as they are not safe, especially with young kids

willard

Post by willard »

Jiffie, take a look at these pics and see if they help at all...

Hope I get the insertion of the pic right from photobucket! (Probably not :run )

Willard
It's only money....

toolsntat
80-90 Mem No: 644

Post by toolsntat »

Willoughby wrote:Hi jiffies

I fitted a 3pt belt last year on a 3/4 bed. Got the kit from Brickwerks. http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some pic's
Kev

Kev , of all the times I have thought about doing this install and not bothered your pictorial description gives me renewed vigour to get it done.....
Excellent
Thank you :ok :ok

Andy
------------------
"GOT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
"WANT ANY OLD TOOLS??"
WANTED old treadle lathe please......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1980 2.0L Aircooled Blue Hightop Holdsworth Villa Camper
2002 White 2.0l 280 td swb hightop Tranzit works van

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Willard

Thanks for the pictures, makes it crstal clear now. You mention the kit from JK. I presume its this one? and I will need 2x, 1 for each side

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_25 ... 13005.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your help

Cheers

Jiffies

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Post by very_bland »

I have still not got round to this for my van either... the previous owner has built a bench out of plywood with metal hinges on to convert it into a bed... with seat-belts attached will this actually get through an MOT as legal seating? (the ply is only 6mm so I'll re-cut it out of much thicker ply if this construction is kosher.)

Seller told me it would, but I decided to ignore the majority of what he said.

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Very Bland
I would call an MOT test centre to check before you make it
Cheers
Jiffies

Yozza
80-90 Mem No: 6195

Post by Yozza »

Ay up,

Great pics by the way, very informative. :ok I'm in the process of putting in a 3 point belt in the rear of my twin slider van. I don't have a upper fixing point (pictured by the white light). However, there is a small indentation (marks the spot to be drilled?) is this the case for vans?

Cheerz
T25 '90 2.1i 16" Doka
JCB 3C MkII
Thwaites 6000