Rat look T25?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Rat look T25?

Post by sirbraunstonquiffqc »

Do you think i'm crazy? Flicking through Volksworld and the like, i see plenty of rat looking VW's. I don't see Type 25 Rats.My Leisure drive is a bit scruffy (still weatherproof) but has most of its original exterior paint ,original windows,seals and funky retro 80's decals. The interior is also scruffy but all original.I'm thinking it looks great scruffy as i am also scruffy! As long as i keep on top of the mechanics, have a nice exhaust and good wheels. Anyone else considered keeping their Type 25 scruffy? I think every bump,dint and scratch tell a story and if i had a show stopper i don't think i'd be able to relax! Any thoughts? Anyone else had similar ideas?

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Re: Rat look T25?

Post by 72BUG »

I thought they were all rat look. :lol:
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Ha ha ha ha ha

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

Personally I love the patina of age in a variety of guises, but when it is done deliberately I find it somewhat nauseating, as if some rich kid has rented a flat in the middle of the bad area of town, but still has his dad to fall back on if things get a bit too scary. It just isn't right.
Unfortunately most 'rat' cars have been sanded and left to rust to create the look, instead of finding some old rust bucket and getting it through an MOT with some ingenuity.
But again it is all personal opinion, I'm sure others love the look, however it is achieved.

Just to add that T25's are a bit too young to get the rat patina yet, and it would be very 80's when they do.

Not real
http://www.vwcampervanblog.com/wp-conte ... ures-4.jpg

Real
http://www.strawberryleisure.com/wp-con ... t-0411.jpg

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Post by very_bland »

I know what you mean about texasuk, it's a bit like kids who shave their heads, cut holes in their jeans and pretend they have always been "punks" they sort of have a vague idea, but are utterly lacking any authenticity. On the other hand, when the ratty look is done well it can be very attractive, there is beauty in decay even if it is manipulated decay, and it become something of an art, like a post-apocalyptic film prop. I also agree that T25 are not only too younge but also the wrong shape, it's a look that really suits round vehicles; splitties, bugs etc. A T25 would probably just look scruffy, as most of them do anyway as 72 bug has pointed out. Though a military look with a touch of DIY desert punk, Mad Max stylie, is something I have considered myself! :D

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

Good call, an eastern block style drab green and lots of red stars would be a suitable makeover, with black steel wheels and small chrome hubcaps to complete the look, quite high on the suspension. Maybe an ICBM on the roof as well? Sounds interesting.

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Possibly as T25's age then the patina appearance will look more natural.Trying too hard with a look can really be bad. As time has gone on the T25's have become much more retro and classic anyway. Everything 80's has come back into vogue.I agree that falsely sanding body paint down etc looks terrible unless really done well. I suppose that the patina look would also suit warmer climbs as well! Personally i'm going to trail blaze the way by leaving my exterior and interior with the minimum of attention and keep the engine,wheels,exhaust etc in good nick.
3 cheers for bumps,chips,scratches and knocks!........and lots of stickers.
Watch this space!!!!

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Please check out the Fiat Multipla (original frog shape) from the film: "Children of men". It only gets a brief cameo,but for a modern vehicle the effect that the film makers achieve with the makeover is excellent. Surely as T25 owners we're all perhaps a little contrived when we choose to modify or re spray? Conscious decisions on any style are always made on classic cars? We're all pretentious to a certain degree?

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Modern car. Cool.

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Basically a rat look will work, if:
a) The paint job is done really well
b) Take inspiration from the right vehicle

I personally don't think this look http://www.strawberryleisure.com/wp-con ... t-0411.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would work on a T25 where as....

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... -CHRON.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xRFNBWST25E/S ... ax+Mod.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

If I go ahead and do it, and I'm wrong, you can all point laugh and call me naughty names!

And yes car above is pretty damn cool! The car of a Professor responsible for a zombie apocalypse! :lol:
Is that the one from children of Men? I've not seen it

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

3 cheers for bumps,chips,scratches and knocks!........and lots of stickers.
Watch this space!!!!

If you need any help lend it to my wife!!! :rofl
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

sirbraunstonquiffqc

I think a T25 covered in grey primer looks fab. Fancy paintwork just doesn't work for me.

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

There's a start, ignore the wheels!
:lol:

It needs to be a syncro doesn't it

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

nautural rat look

was tempted to test this one as would not take much......

i have another late van , sign written and ratty but amazingly good underneath if anyones interested!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

That pic of Mr/Mrs/Ms very-bland's is a bit dark, I thought it was a camo job and I like that look, but on "brightening" it up a bit you can see it IS rat look =

Yeh a camouflage painted Syncro with nice wheels would be my fave T25 look.

Mind you I like the posh look South African "fully loaded" Audi powered ones too !

I like ours best though !!
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here