Supermarket gas Vs. Shell

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

illzlee
80-90 Mem No: 8010

Supermarket gas Vs. Shell

Post by illzlee »

hi all,

i've seen a fair bit of information supporting the use of shell or 'service station' lpg as most claim to get better results in terms of performance & mpg. round 'ere i can only seem to buy lpg from 2 separate Shell stations and Asda - to be honest i can't tell the difference in performance and i'm currently working out the mpg on a tank after getting about 17mpg out of the shell fillup last time.

are asda the best of a bad supermarket bunch for lpg? any thoughts? :?

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Re: Supermarket gas Vs. Shell

Post by ermie571 »

Hi folks,
got no shell round here....stuck with Morrisons and somerfield.

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

illzlee wrote: are asda the best of a bad supermarket bunch for lpg? any thoughts? :?

Hiya, I fill up at Shell Allestree because a) it's nearer to me (10.6 miles) and b) the gas pump at Asda doesn't give me a good fill ... it switches off before the tank's full and I have to drive 14 miles each way to get there in the first place so want it crammed.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i think somerfeild is shell anyway, its morrisons that seems to be not so good (in my experiance anyway)
only ever had a couple of tanks of asdagas, so cant really comment.

whereever , and whatever its still cheaper than petrol and devils fuel
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Rincewind
80-90 Mem No: 6812

Post by Rincewind »

alot will depend just where you are in the country too

I work out of the oil refineries on the Humber, and Total deliver to Shell/ calor etc and Conoco - Morrisons / Jet

either way each refineary has only one tank to fill out of each(much the same as petrol), so you get the same stuff dependant on which refineary it comes out of.

So depnedant on where you are to the refinearies, as to who supplies what to who.... if you see what i mean :?
light travels faster than sound, which explains why some people seem bright until they open their mouths

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

never noticed any difference other than the price per litre, I fill up with whatever I can get and get the same mpg/performance.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

helga592
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by helga592 »

Just to add my 2penath
When i fill up from Jet i can noitce a marked diffrence in MPG. Compaired to the local Shell.
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

illzlee
80-90 Mem No: 8010

Post by illzlee »

i can confirm there is a negligable difference in the performance or mpg using either Shell or Asda lpg - they are both sold as autogas..

The only difference for me is the shield around the filler nozzle at shell stops gas spraying all over your hand when you release the pressure.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Used Asda in cribbs causeway on the way to cornwall and it didn't fill the tank. went to nearby morrisons and put another 10 litres in :idea

Why does that happen where some pumps stop filling before the tank is full?

A local 24hr self-service debit card pump does that too which is a pain as it's the same price as the calor centre next door (36.9p)

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i think its all to do with the pressure the pumps is set at, when it reaches its limit it shuts off even if you are not full, happenes with my local BP some times, but not others.

i only use the 24hr shell at cribs, same price, but open 24/7.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Cruz wrote:Used Asda in cribbs causeway on the way to cornwall and it didn't fill the tank. went to nearby morrisons and put another 10 litres in :idea

A local 24hr self-service debit card pump does that too which is a pain as it's the same price as the calor centre next door (36.9p)

Mine clunks and the last 10 go in slow ... at most pumps except our nearest Asda which shuts of after another 2 or 3 litres.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Mine clunks and does the same but at the odd one it stops a good 8-10 litres shy which is a git when you've another 200 miles to do to the next one in cornwall

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

Be chance rather than design, I've done some reserch on this

Flogas, via E$$0 in Leek, Bus has oodles of Poke, in fact, Goes like a Rabbit on Full Moon 52.9ppl
Autogas via $hell in Derby, Not as "fast", but Solid Performance, Good Punp Pressure 51.9ppl
Asda, Derby, was So badd, even Torz noticed, Flat, sluggish switched to Petrol to get up Swinscoe Hill
So bad topped up in Leek, performance returned to $hell levels.....47.9ppl, poor fill

Both me and Torz Drove on All 3

On a separate note, bloke from Fox lpg Conversions in Derby, who i met at Derby Eco Fest Told me at least 3 folk to his Knowledge had Issues with the asda Pump, Including a A&E visit for Burns, tho not read owt in Paper so Could be Chinese wispas
:)

fix
80-90 Mem No: 6345

Post by fix »

Cruz wrote:Used Asda in cribbs causeway on the way to cornwall and it didn't fill the tank. went to nearby morrisons and put another 10 litres in :idea

Ive just noticed this post, as if you are or were a month ago paying 36.9p for a litre? Thats well cheap!

WANABESYNCRONAUT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WANABESYNCRONAUT »

illzlee wrote:hi all,

i've seen a fair bit of information supporting the use of shell or 'service station' lpg as most claim to get better results in terms of performance & mpg. round 'ere i can only seem to buy lpg from 2 separate Shell stations and Asda - to be honest i can't tell the difference in performance and i'm currently working out the mpg on a tank after getting about 17mpg out of the shell fillup last time.

are asda the best of a bad supermarket bunch for lpg? any thoughts? :?
hi illzlee i was trying to compare the milage of my renault versus your 2100wbx i presume. my renault does aprox 1op 6,5 (litr/km) and yours aprox 6 km p gallon (i took 1.6 km for 1 mile and 4.5 li for a gallon) i havent compared shell with others but most fill stations use BK autogas here in holland but the price is nice anyway a friend has a t3 with road tyres and a tdi engine his milage is allmost twice as good as mine but diesel is double the lpg price
my only lpg problem is the 120 litres inboard tank witch moved my bed 6 inches up grtns wannabesyncronaut