Function of Air Vents?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Function of Air Vents?

Post by AngeloEvs »

Are the vents really necessary on a WBX'r if the airfilter draws air from the engine compartment instead of the airbox? . Thinking of buying or making some covers to stop rain getting in but wondered if their original function was for the air cooled models.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Function of Air Vents?

Post by Mocki »

many moons ago i considered using some clear perspex to do this, by affixing it to the back of the plastic vents, but after some consideration, decided against it.
the buggering about moving where the air intake took in the air ment it would be too low down and would suck in too much road water in the wet season and the extra cooling in the hot season was too risky to remove.imo so i didnt.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thats why I thought of covers that can be removed for Summer when its drier and hotter. One side is blanked off by the airbox which leaves the other one for additional cooling but I can't see it making alot of difference other than to allow hot air to vent after parking up or moving through slow traffic.

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Think the vents bring in cooler cleaner air for engine to run on too. All air under van is hot from radiator heat. :ok
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

el sketcho
80-90 Mem No: 5851

Post by el sketcho »

This may sound stupid but if the vents went the other way up surely that would stop the rain getting in but still allow for air to go through? :run
If you're better than the leading brand, why aren't you the leading brand?

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

el sketcho wrote:This may sound stupid but if the vents went the other way up surely that would stop the rain getting in but still allow for air to go through? :run

Seems logical and sensible, maybe thats the solution - fitting an alternative design. Have the tools and materials so might consider that idea. let you know how I get on. :ok

getunder

Post by getunder »

Engines run better on cold air because it is denser. Also run better and economically when lots of moisture in the atmosphere so no trouble in this country. Years ago you could get a Wal Phillips water injection unit for motorcycles.