GEARBOX CHANGE

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

WANABESYNCRONAUT
80-90 Mem No: 0

GEARBOX CHANGE

Post by WANABESYNCRONAUT »

HELLO TECHNICIANS. IVE REMOVED AN AUT. GEARBOX AND PUT IN A 14 SYNCRO BUT IVE SOME DIFFICULTIES FITTING A SHIFTER AND THE STUFF IN BETWEEN. IS EVERYTHING SYNCRO SPECIFIC OR CAN I USE A 5 GEAR SET THANX IN ADV.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: GEARBOX CHANGE

Post by toomanytoys »

Hi
Little more info please... is it a syncro vehicle or a 2wd and you have fitted a syncro box?? originally Petrol/diesel??

There are subtle differences on different boxes/linkages depending on what you start with and what you put in..

Can you add a general area where you are located to your profile, as there may be someone near you that can be of assistance...

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

use a 4 speed(or syncro) stick and a syncro bottom box and 4 speed selector rod front and the correct rear one for your engine, ie petrol or diesel. If you can only get a 4 speed linkage set it will be ok, but it won't be quite right for selecting syncro first G gear, but you won't really be needing that.
were the captive nuts in the chassis for the syncro mounts ?

WANABESYNCRONAUT

hello again thanx for your quick replies its a vanagon 2.1 hv or mv engine with an automatic gearbox witch i both kicked out ive put in an akg 14 syncro gear box with a home made front mounting i think the linkage witch is connected to the gearbox is a little short i mean the last part that stands in a vertical position the problem upfront is probably that a 5 speed td shifter witch i obtained differs from a dsl or petrol engined chassis and the 4 speed gear shifter is not an option because i need the gelande gear for cruisin down the boulevard at extreem low speed as you may have guesed im not a native english writer and im located in midwest holland grtnz

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

4 speed stick is fine and you will be able to get G gear but the the bit that stops you selecting G instead of 2nd by mistake is only found on the syncro bottom box underneath the gearstick - the box is the same as the four speed but the detent plate is different.
The 5 speed stick and bottom box has extra detent spring nonsense in, but the gearbox already has the spring in it in a four speed or syncro, but not in a five speed. The petrol and diesel linkage at the gearbox are different lengths, iirc the diesel is the shorter one, but I can't be sure and don't have both to hand to compare.

WANABESYNCRONAUT

thanks aidan at the gearbox side weve made the steel mount a little higher and changed the angle of the shift ax (the part that stands up) im now gonna try a 4 gear shift stick from the petrol version witch ill collect sunday
if that wont work well have to hobby a little my tech man wants to make the automatic shifter fit??
ill keep you informed about our progress.
erwin thanx for the link but i tried it (before i came to you guys) and they wouldnt accept my hotmail account with
i have for about 15 years!! the brits didnt mind so here i am. GGGroeten wannabesynGGronaut