Re-using window rubbers

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Re-using window rubbers

Post by KarlT »

Hi

Still thinking about my DIY respray.

My chrome inserts are all cracked & split but the rubber seems ok.

Don't want to replace chrome but can I just buy black inserts? Where from?

Any tips on removing & refitting windows?

Cheers

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Re-using window rubbers

Post by CovKid »

Yes you can fit black. There does seem to be a trend to lose the chrome but I went the opposite way and added chrome gutter trims as well as respraying the existing trim in the rubbers with a near enough chrome finish (lots of masking tape) as well as rear vents. Just a pity they didn't make chrome mirrors as I'd have done those too!

Plenty tips on removing and refitting windows in forum and in WIKI I believe.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Frostbus
80-90 Mem No: 2682

Post by Frostbus »

need a warm day!!!!!! rubber will split and crack if you attempt it while cold, also takes some guts and a couple of people outside ready when it pops out!!! washing line works a treat covered in talk inside groove to put back. dont use washing up licquide to lubricate rubbers
honestly darling it wont cost much to fix.

KarlT

Post by KarlT »

Anyone know where I can get the black filler strip?

KarlT

Post by KarlT »

Have had alook on WIKI and this is wrong isn't it?........

''the inside (asumeing your windows are factory fitted without chrome or black inserts on the outside ) start in one corner and ''

Also mine are factory fitted caravelle, when do I insert the piping stuff? After I've got the rubber seal & window in?

:?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Theres a special tool for fitting rubber strip
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

CovKid wrote:Theres a special tool for fitting rubber strip

Yes I used to be a champion window fitter and made my own:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/ ... C05570.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But you can buy them together with the insert at:
http://www.wilks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If indeed you have this type of extrusion - look at their range under I think - marine/window rubber.This is an oportunity to give the rubbers a good clean up taking care to brush out the grot before replacing them. Washing up liquid does wonders in the re4fitting if used sparingly. IMHO the silver plated plastic stuff looks carp but if you really need it I think it is available from the car restoration people in the death.
Cheers
Wofie.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Hey Citizen Smith thats a great find! They do the chrome stuff - whooopeeee.

Its a love/hate on chrome filler I know but theres nothing quite like a bright red bug for instance, with full chrome fittings. Personally I'm keen to retain the Caravelle features. My attempt at respraying them worked very well but at some point I need to pop the windwscreen out and sort the rust so a source for the strip will be great. Biggest problem might be new windscreen seal with the relevant groove. Gather they're hard/impossible to find.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

CovKid wrote:Hey Citizen Smith thats a great find! They do the chrome stuff - whooopeeee.

Its a love/hate on chrome filler I know but theres nothing quite like a bright red bug for instance, with full chrome fittings. Personally I'm keen to retain the Caravelle features. My attempt at respraying them worked very well but at some point I need to pop the windwscreen out and sort the rust so a source for the strip will be great. Biggest problem might be new windscreen seal with the relevant groove. Gather they're hard/impossible to find.

Ther are other firms doing that sort of stuff on the internet but I am having trouble finding one I used many years ago when I did up a Beetle. I virtually rebuilt it and sprayed it silver. But I finished up looking like a barage balloon (Probably before your time - ask your Grandad) so I did it again in Roots Electric blue and it looked so good I sold it on almost imediatelly. Never really cottoned on to Beetles and couldn't live with the lack of space in the back of the Splitties and Bays. But When High Top WBX came my way reasonable I just snapped it up. It has cost me more than any vehicle so far but fingers crossed for some trouble free miles foe a while now. I would be surprised if you couldn't reclaim your windscreen rubber with a bit of cleaning and TLC with maybe some baby oil or similar. Just need to carefully scrape off the rust.
Good luck anyway
Cheers
Wolfie
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX