Buzzer Of Doom

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zinfandel
80-90 Mem No: 2048

Buzzer Of Doom

Post by zinfandel »

OK fitted S/Hand engine in van (please no preaching about S/hand engine's).
Starts and run's ok oil light go's off after starting engine until you build the rev's up 2000 + and then the buzzer go's off. (I know it's meant too).
Have replaced the wires to the oil switches as old one's where bad.

Will replace the oil filter as soon as I can get one (tried all the local stores) did change the oil as I had some, any other ideas or advice.

Other then the buzzer the engine sounds good smooth and quiet.
pete
1986 1.9 DG with Gas High top Membership No 2048

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/wiki/index.p ... essure[url]
heres the wiki link also look at the linkat the bottom of the page.[/url]
member 1168

zinfandel

Post by zinfandel »

Thanks for the reply, Iv read most of the articals about the light comming on and just wanted peoples fixes, I read one where changing the oil filter worked.
I know i shoud go to a garage to have the oil pressure done but I dont trust most so say Experts.

Iv orderd filter and new switches from JK should Ill flush the engine and try new oil and filters and switches.

Pete

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Re: Buzzer Of Doom

Post by Grun »

Pete,
I had the dreaded buzzer syndrome a few years ago. Turned out to be a bad contact in the two way connector in the engine bay, the first one along the wire from the pressure switch that is near the water pump. Any break in the circuit to the dash module will trigger the buzzer (when the revs exceed 2000 for 3 seconds IIRC.)
If you disconnect the wire to that pressure switch, and ground (earth) the wire, and then run at 2000 revs or more for a few seconds, and the buzzer sounds you have an electrical problem. The pressure switch is closed with normal oil pressure and goes open circuit if pressure falls, the opposite to the other (lower) pressure switch that does the light without the buzzer.
Dont know if that makes sense, but it worked for me, I planned to put a push button switch on the dash to break the circuit briefly while driving so that I would know the system was functional, but not yet done!
Mike

Dan Wood
80-90 Mem No: 2309

Post by Dan Wood »

Out of interest, how does the dashboard 'know' the revs are above 2000?

I've no rev counter, and as far as I can see, no wiring for one so it must be something clever on the ignition/dizzy side of things...

Grun

Post by Grun »

Dan Wood,
Now you are asking! I am no electrician, and the little I have read on electronics is very basic, but the "dashboard" is fed with a reference signal from the alternator, whch of course is directly connected via the belt drive to the crankshaft pulley, and I would say that is how the dashboard "knows" the engine is above 2000 rpm. Someone with more knowledge of electrickery will no doubt expand on my theory before too long. Could equally be the dizzy signal, must have a look at the H-ynes book of lies as it is often called, and see if I can make sense of the wiring diagram.!!! :?
Mike

Grun

Post by Grun »

Dan Wood,
The bible according to H-ynes (as I read it) shows the signal taken from terminal 1 on the coil and via a fiendish route to pin 9 of the 14 pin connector to the flexy printed circuit behind dash and then via the aforesaid flexy, to the rev counter (if present) and to J114 "Oil pressure monitor control unit" This appears to be the same for both the 1.9 carburettor and 2.1 injection engines.
Diesels? 'I Know nothing' (Manuel, Fawlty Towers.)
Mike

Dan Wood
80-90 Mem No: 2309

Post by Dan Wood »

Thanks for that. Always nice to have an "I wonder...." question sorted. :)

(I'm that type of person that has lots of those in his head :roll: )

zinfandel

Post by zinfandel »

Thanks Grun ill try that, Ill read it a couple more times but what you say is that if I ground the lead to the switch next to the water pump then the buzzer will sound when the engine is above 2000 revs.

At work tonight I was talking to the fitters (bus) and they said that it was unlikely to be worn bearings as the engine/oil would not have got hot as I have only run the engine for no more then 5 min and not driven it on the road!

Any other ideas or experiences as then we could list possible courses on the wiki site, as there seems to be lots of peeps who have had this problem for different reasons

Grun

Post by Grun »

zinfandel,
No, buzzer should not sound when wire is grounded. If it does you have an electrical problem. Buzzer should sound when wire not grounded (i.e. open circuit.)
Mike
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

zinfandel

Post by zinfandel »

OK, got it will try

pete

lance
80-90 Mem No: 3771

buzzer

Post by lance »

i have same prob with buzzer on 2.1 new engine from vw buzzer goes of at about 2krpm and has new sensors and oil filter?

Grun

Post by Grun »

Holly,
Look here for a good write up on the workings of the oil pressure monitor system, the link is also in the wiki.
I think we can assume that your VW engine has the correct pressure switches fitted, so the fault is most probably in a wiring connection disturbed during the engine change.
If you follow the wire which should be connected to the pressure switch near the water pump, you should come to a (two way?) connector in the engine bay, check this one is making contact and the next along the way to the dashboard is a 7 way connector (T7a) engine compartment junction box (pin 7). Check that one to.
Lets see how zinfandel gets on with his wire grounding.
Mike
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

zinfandel

Post by zinfandel »

Grounded the wire Buzzer silent.
Will try the filter oil at weekend+new high pressure switch :roll:

Pete

lance
80-90 Mem No: 3771

buzzer of doom

Post by lance »

this is the second engine i have fitted in my lifetime,im just wondering if ive got the wires to the senders the wrong way round and should i try swaping them around?thanks for link though,i will use that info at weekend other than that its back to main dealer