Leaky High Top Repair

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BullyFan
80-90 Mem No: 2669

Leaky High Top Repair

Post by BullyFan »

Recently we had our first trip in our new Autohomes Komet. On the first night we had the kind of rain Noah would have recognised. Needless to say this was our opportunity to discover the small leak in the high top. :(

Next morning, being in deepest Sutherland and therefore nowhere near any auto shops or similar, we went to the local newsagents and bought some of Mr Wrigley's finest (spearmint flavour). After a little chewing the gum was pliable enough to squash into the two small holes we found. Sorted :!:

Anyone got any suggestions as to what would make a good long-term repair? Each hole is only a couple of millimetres wide and about 15mm long. As the holes are in the high top gutter they let in a remarkable amount of water.
Iain & Tarlika
Member no. 2669

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i'd be using fibreglass resin, like they made the roof out of in the first place........ or if not that p38..........but you'll need to waterproof that after, its porus
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

BullyFan
80-90 Mem No: 2669

Post by BullyFan »

mocki wrote:i'd be using fibreglass resin, like they made the roof out of in the first place.

I had been thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 14-5580768

or as an alternative:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 14-5580768

I'm guessing that the second might be easier to paint over. Can I use any kind of paint? I'm concerned that the paint might react with the resin underneath.
Iain & Tarlika
Member no. 2669