LPG on K JET

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Adey

LPG on K JET

Post by Adey »

Anyone know where i can get a mixer from to fit on a 2.2 k jet audi motor?
DUBLIMINAL

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

don't know about the mixer but have you sorted something out to hold the metering flap up when on lpg. If its not held up and back fires it will be a dead jet.

Adey

Post by Adey »

Why would i need to do that, surely if the pumps off then there won't be any petrol being delivered?
DUBLIMINAL

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Its normal for k jet to break if they back fire on petrol, the air ignites in the inlet system and try to get out, the flap acts as a one way valve and closes very hard and very quick and damages the metering head (this is why it needs holding up on LPG). Lots of cars had k jet and had no problems but some were prone to an ocassaional back fire, they fitted air release valves on these to prevent damage, they would be shut under normal running (vacum) and dump any air if they back fired (pressure). I would'nt be a good idea on a lpg car because it would be fuel and air thats gets relaesed under a hot bonnet. LPG is prone for backfires if they run low on gas.

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Adey, what Andy is saying is correct, the kjet would be under serious threat of damage if you didn't fit a device to hold open the valve, in our systems we tap off the side of our vaporisers with a specially designed jet that holds open the flap with a jet of gas, we've used this on the kjet and extensively on the Range Rover that has a simialr system.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740