Fitting Fridge Vents

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Apollo
80-90 Mem No: 2368

Fitting Fridge Vents

Post by Apollo »

Hi

My recently purchased Holdsworth came with a 3-way fridge, however the couple who owned it had never used the fridge on gas.

I now know this is probably because external vents were not installed for what reason I don't know.

There are no internal or floor vents to the rear of the fridge area either.

I have just ordered a vent kit and flue from leisurespares.co.uk £££

Can somebody please advise on the best way to fit these, as I can't pull out the whole cooker/sink unit to measure up. Is there better way.

I am reluctant to go cutting holes in the side of the van in case I bugger it up. Anybody know of somebody in London who could do this for me for a reasonable price?

Or should I just borrow a jig-saw from somewhere and get busy

The vents are integrated top flue/vent and seperate bottom

Do I really need a cowling seeing as the back of the cooker/fridge/sink unit is sealed off from the rest of the van?

Should I take this opportunity to install a low voltage fan on the exhaust vent for those hot days? (Here's hoping :D )

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I too wait words of wisdom on this as in the same boat ( err... sorry, camper )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

Shirly you are going to need to take the fridge out to get it done anyway, isn't that enough room? Have you thought how you are going to hook up the flue when you put it back? What is this "cowling" of which you speak?

What makes you think some 'erbert with a jigsaw that doesn't own your van is going to take more care of it than you? Don't forget to treat the cut edges for future rust! If you do take everything out it might be a long time before you see the back of that panel again, anything else you could be doing back there to justify such a big job?

BTW I no longer have a fridge as such but I've seen it done :shock:
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Apollo
80-90 Mem No: 2368

Post by Apollo »

Taking the fridge out is not a problem, but once flue is fixed onto fridge getting the height right for the external vent bit could be a problem as you can't get back there with the fridge in place (i'm not that skinny). I guess I could just measure from the floor to the top of the flue this would give me the height. Then use the side of the fridge cabnet for a reference point for the rest.

Leisurespares faxed through a diagram of the installation they reccomend and it shows a cowling or shroud, similar to a radiator fan shroud in a car. I suspect this is generally for caravan installations, but it would help to isolate the cooling for the fridge and could be more effective and also reduce the heat build up at the rear of the unit.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to do back there so don't really want to pull everything out. also am living in central london so the street is my workshop.... makes it a bit more diffcult to pull everything apart as I have nowhere to store things.

TOMMY THE CAT
80-90 Mem No: 48

errrrr

Post by TOMMY THE CAT »

I thought that you needed venting even on electric? I obviously are living on planet wrong again.
D :?

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

I want to do the same sort of thing but only for a part-time camper.

Is there anyway of just venting through the floor?

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

There was some stuff on this in the camping section.

Tommy, not planet wrong, just over cautious perhaps?

Vents in the side are to allow ait to flow over the cooling bit, without them your fridge wont be as efficient but many vans I have seen in this country don't have them. Make a hole in the floor and let the warmer air out at the top of your units, cools your beer and heats the van at the same time.

Flues are a diferent thing. The flue needs to go outside, pretty much above the flame and in a place that will not allow combustion gas to come back into the van.

Another thing to think about is what happens to unburnt gas that might escape while changing bottles or failing to light the fridge. It's heavier than air and shouldn't be alowed to spread across the floor or collect in a low point. A bund or lip is usual and holes in the floor to let it out. I have seen the exciting effect of a thin layer of gas on the floor of a van that finds a source of combustion, not good!

When making holes in the floor consider spray from the road, especially in bits where you cant see it and mop it up like behind the fridge or in the bottom of your gas locker. As you drive along with your drivers window open a bit your van will literally suck water laden air up from underneath. You should think about a baffle of some sort.

I must point out I only read most of this on other camper and caravan sites and in MMM because I have given serious consideration to changing my conversion to include a fridge. I don't warrant any of it as being more than recycled knowledge that sounded plausable to me. I couldn't be arsed as it turns out and use a portable three way fridge box instead.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Hi
So when using a portable 3 way what precautions do you use or do you only use it outside the van?

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Euan said = "Another thing to think about is what happens to unburnt gas that might escape while changing bottles or failing to light the fridge. It's heavier than air and shouldn't be alowed to spread across the floor or collect in a low point."

Big deal in narrow boats, (well all boats I suppose !) this is, as you can't drill a hole at the lowest point to let it out ( well I suppose you could, but :roll: )

It accumilates over a long period and then at some point, BOOOOM !!

I have seen it happen (from the window of our local wine bar that looks out over the canal) - luckily no-one was on the boat at the time.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Fridge vent

Post by Tex Ritter »

Anyone interested in how my fridge vents/exhaust are fitted, send me an email and I'll get back to you with pics/howto etc.

Tex Ritter
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

ghost123uk

Re: Fridge vent

Post by ghost123uk »

Tex Ritter wrote:Anyone interested in how my fridge vents/exhaust are fitted, send me an email and I'll get back to you with pics/howto etc.
Tex Ritter

You have PM

Why not put it in this thread for posterity...

Tex Ritter

Fridge vents

Post by Tex Ritter »

Because I'm not that clever with posting pics on here.

Tex Ritter

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Well with some help from the pics etc kindly supplied by "Tex Ritter" I have fitted my fridge flue pipe etc.

I spent a deal of time trying to decide where to drill the first pilot hole in the side of my van !!!!!

Very nerve racking drilling holes in the side of your pride and joy !!!

Plus it is awkward to measure, as the pipe is at 45 degree angle, the fridge has to be in place of course, and there is a bigish space between the inner panel and the outer metal.

Naturally I drilled it in the wrong place :oops:

But not too bad as when I cut out the hole properly, the original pilot hole was within that area if you see what I mean.

It's still about an inch lower than it should be but it all fits together OK.

I was a bit concerned about the carpet covered hardboard inner panel and the insulation material in the void and the temperature of the pipe. It does get too hot to touch in use. I made the hole in the inner pannel a bit bigger than it needs to be so the pipe isn't touching it and moved the insulation away from the pipe, but would appreciate any coments on this ?

Tex Ritter

Fridge vent

Post by Tex Ritter »

If you have a look at the pics I sent, you will see that there is no carpet covered panel behind my fridge, just the bare van wall. The insulation material behind the fitted side panels is glass wool. There is no chance that this material will ever catch fire. Also note that the fridge gas exhaust pipe is well clear of any other material.

Tex Ritter

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

The insulation material behind the fitted side panels is glass wool. There is no chance that this material will ever catch fire.

Well thats reassuring :)

As I mentioned I cut the hole in the inner panel somewhat larger to leave a clear gap for the pipe so all should be OK.

I have just had a thought, it might be a good idea to fit one of them modern smoke detectors that also detect carbon monoxide in our vans ?