Back Seat Install Legal requirements?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Poseidon
80-90 Mem No: 1025

Back Seat Install Legal requirements?

Post by Poseidon »

I have a panel van and am looking at re-fitting with a more regular interior. I would like to have a seat in the back that can be folded out as a bed (RnR or similar)
It would also be usefull to be able to fit a couple more people in on trips to the coast etc..

What are the legal requirements needed to install a back seat for passengers in a panel van?

I guess seatbelts are needed, but what about windows etc?

Any help would be great!

Tim
membership Number 1025

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

At the moment there are none.

I was reading about this only yesterday on one of the general camper van sites. There are no regulations in force regarding seats in the back or provision of seatbelts for passengers in the rear.

This is good and bad as anything you do that comes under the MOT, like setbelt mounts is then at the dicretion of the test centre.

There is some pending regulation on the provision of seatbelts which will mean that every seat that is not clearly intended for use only when stationary must have it's own seatbelt. This is going to effect a lot of older cars and because of this may never make it.

Use your head though. In the event of an accident loose passengers could hurt you. Also any obvious failure on your part to think of the safety of any passengers may make you personally liable. Goodness knows if your insurance would be happy. Build robust seats and provide seatbelts, there is little reason not to.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.