Window fitting problems

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Vision87
80-90 Mem No: 0

Window fitting problems

Post by Vision87 »

Does anyone have any tips for re fitting non-factory windows?? Took them out for re-spray a few weeks back and now trying to re-fit with new rubbers from justkampers, but they just don't wanna go in :( .

My method has been as follows:

1) fit rubber to window
2) insert string into rubber
3) lubricate a bit
4) get mate to offer up on outside with bit of pressure
5) start to pull string
6) rubber starts to come off on corners :?
7) Window then pops out of rubber somewhere else :(
8 ) Loads of swearing and blasphamy :evil: :evil: :evil:
9) start again

Any advise would be very much appreciated

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

window fitter?

autoglass or such like ..I had similar problems and then called a professional ...

half an hour later all done ...£70 covered it, and they have never leaked either
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Vision87

Post by Vision87 »

cheers Kev, think that sounds like a plan actually. I've already wasted more than 2 hours on this hideous evil task :evil: Just a bit skint at the mo after pricey re-spray.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

agreed

the respray is one of the reasons I gave up after a manly attempt...my frustration was going to turn into deep scratches on fresh paint :shock:

madmyk
80-90 Mem No: 3214

Post by madmyk »

Hi chap, just done same job for same reason.
Hints and tips (but no promises :D )
Place window into frame, and make sure it is seated as best as poss, evenly all round, before doing anything with the string. Push the rubber in as far as it will go all round the frame, though still not clipped over.
I used wire instead of string.
Pull wire towards centre of window at all times, adjusting as you move.
Don't put too much pressure on window from outside, it hardly took any if seated right.
When the rubber starts to fold over the metal, only do about 6 inches, before seating it firmly from the inside. You have to follow it round, pulling in and seating down on the metal, especially round the corners.
I didnt use lubricant, but can't see major problem except making it easier to unseat????

Hope this helps, but if difficult to understand, pm me your number and i'll try to explain better.

Best of luck :lol:

Myk.
MadMyk
(With 2 dogs)

"and the bug-eyed monster?"......"it's green, yes"

guz
80-90 Mem No: 1762

Post by guz »

lots of lube, leave seals out in the sun for
an hour to warm/soften them, someone on
the outside applying some pressure, don't be
afraid of breaking them, toughened glass really
does live up to its name.

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

did one without any help the other day, use that rubber washing line not string.vaseline or waxoyl as lube, start at a corner with a mate pushing hard (if your on your own you will have to keep going out and pushing yourself). as your pulling the string in help the rubber over with a blunt knife or the blunt end of a fork or similar.

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

Use a rope, cord based one, thicker than you anticipate too else it rips thru the rubber! Use lots of lube, there is a specific one but i used washing up liquid! For a better finish fit them inside out i.e put the strip on the inside for a cleaner line on the outside and better theft protection if (the thief has half a brain..)
Buy the tool from JK to insert the strip too, dont faff about with screwdrivers etc it ends in scratched paintwork and tears!
If you pay the postage got some cord rope here... :wink:
Good Luck!
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

do non factory windows have that strip in the rubbers?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

mine do

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i got a full set from schofield for £60 at a show but they had no strip in, but then again suppose its less messing around.

Vision87

Post by Vision87 »

thanks for the tips chaps

grrrr, can't find anyone in Jersey to fit windows without charging silly money :evil:, so back to plan A

Have now managed to get sliding door window in :D . Definately need something stronger than standard string, found that it kept snapping. I fitted it from the inside, slowly pulling the cord from outside with loads of washing up liquid and a bit more patience than previously.

The window seals that I got have got a chrome insert, but that goes in fairly easily with the special tool and loads of fairy liquid.

So just 2 windows left to do :? . Not looking forward to the louvered one :? :? :?

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

"WEAZLECHIN" wrote:did one without any help the other day, use that rubber washing line not string.vaseline or waxoyl as lube, start at a corner with a mate pushing hard (if your on your own you will have to keep going out and pushing yourself). as your pulling the string in help the rubber over with a blunt knife or the blunt end of a fork or similar.

Well done that man if he fitted the windows on his own. I work on my own all the time fitting clutches etc, but I always have to have help fitting window glass. :?

Tex Ritter
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

im spraying me westy soon, so i`ll be doing all of the side windows on me todd, but i aint doing the windscreen and rear on my own. i wont be doing them from inside either !!!