Heaters - Propex/eberspacher/ Webasto = lots of question

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colouredFunk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Heaters - Propex/eberspacher/ Webasto = lots of question

Post by colouredFunk »

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Propex or eberspacher heater thing.

got quite a few of questions though -

here we go -

What's the hell is the difference between them?
Do they smell when they running?
Are they safe?
anndd.... where have you put it? - I quite like the idea of putting it under the glove box so I don't lose any space, but how connect it all up? - does it give a enough heat to the back

...and breath.... :shock:

cheers

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

Some have their ebers uunder the glovebox, I have a gas propex, it dont smell , fan a bit noisy, but not as noisy as a fan heater, I'm led to believe not as hot as ebers. KJeep it under theRnr bed, its compact.
Member 732,

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

cheers.

got me lpg tank under the rr bed

futurecut
80-90 Mem No: 2407

Post by futurecut »

Under the glovebox?? How? Where?

propex all the way - why have gas to cook and something else for heat?

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

cos its cheaper(diesel) and I'm led to believe ebers are hotter, i have a propex btw and am well pleased with it
Member 732,

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

Ivor Brownun wrote:cos its cheaper(diesel) and I'm led to believe ebers are hotter, i have a propex btw and am well pleased with it

i have to dissagree with ebbers being hotter! propex gets hot much faster than a derv heater, and is warmer in my experiance, mine us under the rnr bed, it does smell a little but only outside! they do make some noise but then an ebber mounted under the bed would make more noise or at least you would hearit more if you put it under the bed!

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Re: Heaters - Propex/eberspacher/ Webasto = lots of questio

Post by T'Onion »

colouredFunk wrote: got quite a few of questions though -

here we go -

What's the hell is the difference between them? Ebbers(around £250) run on either deisel or petrol, propex (around £250)are gas , webasto (around £200)are less common so if it goes wrong harder to fix and mostly diesel
Do they smell when they running? Ebbers smell FOR FUMES
Are they safe? Ebbers are over safe they will shut down if they smell fumes,run out of fuel/eleccy, if something falls over the inlet/outlet on the heater etc etc , Propex i thing do the same
anndd.... where have you put it? - I quite like the idea of putting it under the glove box so I don't lose any space, but how connect it all up? - does it give a enough heat to the back.. mine ,like are quite a few now ,is under the glove box , and yes it get toast like in the back ,if it wasnt for my lpg tank under the bed i may have put it there :?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

ebbers are loads cheaper to run, ( where can you get untaxed gas?) and you can mount them other than horizontally - propex only horizontal.
Ebbers are slightly noisier than propex , but deffo hotter, ( dave had a duff webasto BTW ) all in all saftey wise they are equal, but ebers can be user whilst moving, prppex cant.

all are expensive to buy, but i know of no one who would go back to not having one!!!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

true my webasto was duff, but you can mount propex any way up you like! i asked them!

cumbriankeith
80-90 Mem No: 38

Propex go or no go

Post by cumbriankeith »

Both Mr Propex and his instructions say you can use on the move but not when at a petrol filling station.
Keith
Membership number 38

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

all the heaters, propex, truma, webasto, eber, can be used legally when the vehicle is moving.
When searching for used ones remember that you want 12v and that they were also used in trucks, boats, coaches, vans, motorhomes, caravans, etc so they ain't just a vw camper thing.

Webasto are the preferred heater for the coach/minibus and hot food delivery van market coz I used to deliver pallets of them every week to a local place that makes food vans so no shortage of spares or backup.

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

heaters whats best

Post by mike the van »

I got myself a Webasto diesel fuelled , had it overhauled and it is cracking, warms you up nicely good fuel consumption, pretty noisy but what the hell at least you are warm

Mike

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

The new 2000 propex is almost as hot as a eber and quieter than most ebers I've come accross. They are economical and gas is a lot easier to work with imho than diesel. You can buy a brand new guaranteed propex for less tha £400.
I have a lpg liesure tank that fills on autogas so whilst Gordon takes a share it's a lot less than the thieves at Calor take. Not everyone can get hold of red diesel and then you have to find somewhere to put the tank and a good way of filing it without spilage of the nasty oil. JMO BTW.

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

Thanks, Thanks and Thankyou! :D

Got me questions answered!

I'm liking the idea of it under the glovebox. How did you plumb it all up?