Clutch Hydraulic System...

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johncelliot
80-90 Mem No: 0

Clutch Hydraulic System...

Post by johncelliot »

I thought I would let you all in on the fun I have been having with the clutch hydraulic system on my van. It started with a slight leak from the clutch master cylinder (the one by the clutch pedal). I replaced the cylinder without too much trouble. Once replaced I had to bleed the system.

The bleed nipple is supposed to be on the clutch slave cylinder (the one in the engine bay). In my case the slave cylinder was a big rusty lump with the bleed nipple broken off. So, I ordered a new slave cylinder. Unfortunately the nuts holding the slave cylinder on were too rusty to break loose. I had to order a nut splitter to get them off.
I also couldn't get the hose unscrewed from the rusty slave cylinder and in the process of trying to get it off, I managed to break the end off the metal line that takes the clutch fluid from the front to the back of the van. My local mechanic said that he could fix a new thread to end of the metal line, but I would need to find a replacement plastic hose that goes up to the slave cylinder.

Does anyone have an idea of where I might be able to get a replacement plastic pipe that goes from the clutch slave cylinder to the metal pipe under the van? Any help with this is appreiciated. Looking forward to having it all up and running again soon.

thanks,

John

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Now I'm frightened..... :shock:

gotta do this job myself - just the slave cylinder.........Already got a plastic pipe on the slave...so must have been done once already.

Emma
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

johncelliot

Post by johncelliot »

Yeah, mine had the plastic pipe too, but I need a replacement because I stripped the nut trying to get it out of the slave cylinder and at the other end of the plastic pipe, where it connects to the metal pipe, the connection is completely rusted. Hoping to find the replacement soon.

Hopefully, the rust isn't so bad on yours. FYI, the Haynes manual said to jack up the van and take off the wheel to gain access to the slave cylinder, but I didn't have too much trouble accessing mine through the engine bay...

cheers,

JCE

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Speak to Si at Brickworks, I think he has replacements on the shelf...

sendiw
80-90 Mem No: 435

Post by sendiw »

I am hoping to do the same job on mine but I dont have a plastic pipe. Mine is a flexible rubber hose similar to flexi brake pipes and they seem awful dear at JK for what they are?
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

Devondave does the replacement hoses and a fix piece if it shears on the van side where it connects to the copper pipe. I can supply Dave`s details or I can pass on your details if you PM us.

deepdale
80-90 Mem No: 2742

Post by deepdale »

i replaced all of mine. Both the flexi hose and the solid pipe. I couldn't source them anywhere and eventually had to have them both specially made by a hydraulic hose manufacturers. Think i got stung actually cos i paid £40+!
David of Bolton.

Owner of 1981 Aircooled model CU, Leisure Drive conversion. She's on the road at last!

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

here I can help you for sure :D

there are two setups for this in 1985 they changed the setup from the rubber hose and metal pipe going to the slave (as shown in the haynes manual) to a piece of plastic which goes directly from the brakes pipe (clutch pipe ;) on the chassis join to the slave cylinder. I had the single peice of plastic german and swedish and JustKampers do not stock the new bit.

You need to go to a main dealer the one in letchworth helped me out, the bit is only about £15. I do not know what the part number is but you know those micro fische diagrams these people have it with the area of the van as line drawings, it is about three down and is down on the right as a replacement part superseeding the setup up of rubber hose, bracket and curvey brakes pipe (clutch pipe).

to reiterate this is the single plastic pipe that always seizes onto the clutch cylinder end, the ends look abit like gas fittings, but they are soft - so when fitting the new part try not to overtighten ;) it is about 2-3 ft long and has a few bends in it, when you first look at it on the car it looks like someone has made it themselves but it is an offical VW part.

I will check tonight to see if I can dig out the invoice from VW.
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

My ETKA says "part number unknown" :o . Perhaps this is why they don't exist. Part number is available for the metal and rubber set up though.

Perhaps someone has a better Etka than mine?
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

the slave cylinder is on the gearbox which moves, you must have a flexipipe of sorts otherwise the hardpipe will simply break again, both setups have a solid (brakes pipe) pipe from the master cylinder to the chassis where the front of the gearbox is mounted, this hard pipe has a male connector, the plastic flexipipe has a female on this end and a male end where it meets the slave cylinder, the original setup costs from JK/VW from the chassis connector is about £30 for a flexi hose(JK), bracket (discontinued) at about £30 and the hard brakes pipe to the bracket a further £30. If I cant find the invoice for the VAG part number, I will maybe go and ask for another print out of the exploded view, with the part numbers from a shop in stevenage tomorrow.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Thers already two suggestions above for people to contact for parts?

Might also help to make to clear what year and model your vans are... :roll:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

Ive got a small amount (qty 6) of flexible hoses here on the shelf. They are brand new Goodridge Stainless steel braided with a clear PVC outer. Guarateed for the life of the vehicle. 420mm long with 12 x 1MM Females eack end. You will need to adapt the securing clip on the end of your old one, shouldn't be too hard. As I say, only got 6. £35 each inc postage. First come first served as they say :D
Email me on re356@hotmail.com

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

are they not these?

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_inf ... 2f66dd4732

they do not replace the plastic pipe version... if someone has access to ETKA, look at item 35a on a drawing

model Year MG SG illustration Update
T2 86 7 21 73-10 503

this is very similar to the replacement bit I think the part number is around 251721477J, this is not the exact part for sure, I am waiting for the nice lady at VW Wayside to get back to me, as she remembers sorting it out for me 6 months ago... :)

but as you can see on the ETKA image it goes from the pipe 32 to the slave cylinder as does 34 the rubber hose and 35 the "s" shaped steel clutch pipe.

I will update if VW get back to me.