road trip to Spain next april/may- advice reqd pls

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: road trip to Spain next april/may- advice reqd pls

Post by AdrianC »

PRD wrote:Get hold of a Michelin camping book and check out child friendly sites in advance.

Get hold of the ACSI book - Spanish sites can be pricey. They can also be a bit few and far between at that time of year, so even the non-low-season-discount "ACSI camping card" ones would be useful to have a list of. There's also a book listing all Spanish campsites - we found that very useful. (It claims to do all of Portugal, too - but it doesn't even come close - there's a separate Portuguese one which does)

Apart from those specific local ones, none of the list books we've seen have come close to the ACSI ones.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Also whether you have sat nav or not, take a large scale Michelin road atlas with you for both France and Spain. They provide all the roads even the very tiny ones (and the scenic ones) and they will be up to date. If you look at the atlas there are two main ways to go where you want to, from the North to Southern France via motorway. Via the A20/A61 or via the A75. Both motorways provide some fantanstic scenery on the way. However, the A20 is toll free most of the way down whereas the A75 is a toll road all the way. The down side is that trucks tend to use the A20 so you generally avoid the hastle of trucks chasing you along if you go via the A75. The choice is yours. I'm a cheapskate and use the A20 every year.

As far as camping goes you will soon realise that there are a very small number of campsites between the Channel coast and until you get below Paris. After that there are thousands but they may not all be open. So check your camping books for opening dates (be they Michelin or ACSI). As far as travelling goes you have over 800 miles to go to Barcelona once you hit Calais. With kids that is at least three days driving by motorway.

Lastly a tip. Do not park your vehicle in Barcelona. If you leave it alone it will have been broken into by the time you return. It is the tourist crime capital of Europe, which is a shame because Barca is a great place to visit. So get the train or bus into town and leave your van somewhere safe. Have a great time.
:)
Patrick

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

PRD wrote: If you look at the atlas there are two main ways to go where you want to, from the North to Southern France via motorway. Via the A20/A61 or via the A75. Both motorways provide some fantanstic scenery on the way. However, the A20 is toll free most of the way down whereas the A75 is a toll road all the way. The down side is that trucks tend to use the A20 so you generally avoid the hastle of trucks chasing you along if you go via the A75. The choice is yours. I'm a cheapskate and use the A20 every year.

According to the wikipedia the A75 is toll free from Clermont-Ferrand to Beziers (340 km/210 miles) apart from the Millau Viaduct. I have used the Clermont-Ferrand to Millau section many times (as it was being extended) between 1991 - 2008 & I have never paid a toll.
Last edited by Bowton Lad on 08 Nov 2011, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Bowton Lad wrote: the A75 is toll free from Clermont-Ferrand to Beziers (340 km/210 miles) apart from the Millau Viaduct. I have used the Clermont-Ferrand to Millau section many times (as it was being extended) between 1991 - 2005 & I have never paid a toll.

As Steve say's 15 months ago it was free with the exception of the (beautiful) Millau Viaduct. It's a fantastic drive from C-F down to Beziers with high Cols and long sweeping downhill sections ... get's VERY hot there in August :oops:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

PRD wrote: Lastly a tip. Do not park your vehicle in Barcelona. If you leave it alone it will have been broken into by the time you return. It is the tourist crime capital of Europe, which is a shame because Barca is a great place to visit. So get the train or bus into town and leave your van somewhere safe.

Ours wasn't - but then the aire in the city I mentioned earlier has 24 hour security on site.

I've been to Barcelona numerous times, and to be honest it doesn't deserve the bad reputation it gets. Keep your wits about you, as you would in any big city, but don't be put off, it's a great, friendly place to visit.
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

Taw Cottage
80-90 Mem No: 9513

Post by Taw Cottage »

Hi Kathy

If you want a route that is scenic, interesting, with reasonable fuel costs, if you top up at supermarkets, and avoids most of the toll roads.

May I suggest:-

For this journey, Michelin France and Spain/Portugal maps or similar, will be helpful.
CALAIS - MOLLERUSA

CALAIS exit the port turning left onto the dual carriageway that skirts Calais. After about 5 km, exit to the right, signposted to the Channel Tunnel and Boulogne. Follow this toll motorway to just before Abbeville, (7.50 euros), then take A28-E402 all the way to Rouen, through the tunnel, across the Seine then turn right, follow motorway dir. for Paris & then very soon after Rouen the motorway splits follow dir. Evereux onto the national road N154, continue to Nonencourt and Dreux, then N10 Chartres and Chateaudun, from here take the D924 to Blois, then onto the D956 to Contres and Valencay
On the outskirts of Chateauroux turn towards and past the airport and get onto free motorway A20/E9 all the way to Limoges

At Limoges turn off this motorway onto the dual carriageway that takes you through the city alongside the river. Keep going until you find the N21 to Perigueux, then continue on to Bergerac.
From here, take the D933 to Marmande, then continue in the direction of Mont-de-Marson, but before Mont-de-Marson take the D934 and then N134 to Pau.

At Pau, follow directions for commercial vehicles (the signpost is the outline of a truck) via the airport dir. Zarragoza (Saragoza)/ Pyrennees España.
After Pau, still on the N134, there are now two possible routes, A & B. According to the time of year, look to make sure the mountain passes are open. (There are signs at the side of the road) – consult your map. During winter months it is probably safer to take option B, though at the time your traveling, the most scenic and best route is route A. Which is not the national road and trucks are banned.
A) About 10 miles out from Pau on the N134, look for the turning D934 Arudy, if this route is closed, take route B and stay on the N134, which is the National road and truck route. Continue on to Laruns, Sallent de Gellego, Biescas and Sabinanigo .
B) After Pau, stay on the A134 to Ste Marie, then over the Col du Somport to Jaca, then onto the N330 to Sabinanigo

From both routes, continue on towards Huesca and as you approach, look out for the N240 to Velillas, Angues, Monzon and Binefar. About 22mls after Binefar, in the direction of Lerida, turn left onto N11, after approximately 17 mls, look for right turn for MOLLERUSA.

Only Toll is the 7.50 euros Boulogne to Abbeville.

Steve :ok
Life is not a rehearsal

Westy 2.1 WBX Denk an die Umwelt Fahr mit dem Bus

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

Post by kathyshack »

Wow! Thanks Steve! X ;-)
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

Merlin Cat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Merlin Cat »

Thats a top info thread Taw Cottage, and nice photos Ian Hulley

Kathy Shack - I am afraid I still havent found my routes :oops: however, going on from Millau Bridge, it is beautiful and has an interesting visitors bit that tells you how the bridge was made etc, and a look out spot for photos etc Also, if you actually have time you can come off and go down into the valley and visit Millau itself. It is a lovely town with nice square/bars etc.

We stopped in Barcelona for a couple of nights when we were living in the van. We stayed in a hotel as we were going a bit stir crazy! and parked in a multi storey, which was very tight and need million point turns We also had to take the bikes off the back or they would nt let us park there :?: We were a bit concerned as all our worldy goods were in the van (tho some in the safe) but all was fine :D

Sorry i have been so slack at info --- next week I promise :D

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

No worries merlin, there's no immediate rush ;-)
thanks,
kathy

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

luvlyjubbly

Post by luvlyjubbly »

southernsparky wrote:Sounds fantastic.
Have driven to Spain before, all the way down to malaga. Fuel and tolls can add up to costing more than flying though. But if you turn it into a roadtrip, it's a stunnngly beautiful place to be.

hiya...yup i live not far from Malaga,and i drive down every Sept.from Calais.....and return to UK...June July Aug....and i dont pay any tolls...or for camp sites...all i have to buy is my diesel....check out books: "ALL THE AIRES IN FRANCE"...& "FRENCH PASSION"...from...VICARIOUS BOOKS,FOLKESTONE,KENT....excellent piece of kit....oh,and i wouldnt do it without my Satnav!!!!!...spose it cost me about £250 each way?? :D
...VW Westafalia JOKER 1,T3 Pop,1984,19td.

luvlyjubbly

Post by luvlyjubbly »

kathyshack wrote:Thanks guys. We booked the ferry last night. Got rtn Dover - Calais £75. Pretty good really (thanks boltonlad for the discount code). Decided to do the longer drive. Just got to work out a route now.
If any of you have gone accross the channel, and down into northern Spain, I'd love to hear aboutyour trip. Any tips on routes places to stop at would be great too. Were going end April early may.
Thanks again x

...PLEASE....FOR SAFETY REASONS....under no circumstasnces park up for a sleep in the petrol stations/or car parks/or lay-bys.....if you dont get the books..ALL THE AIRES IN FRANCE....or/and.... FRENCH PASSION....then book into Campsites.
...VW Westafalia JOKER 1,T3 Pop,1984,19td.

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

I've never had a problem parking up in any aires in France, have you actually experienced something yourself?

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

kathy has got the aires and france passion :ok

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Thanks guys, got all the aires book and awaiting my France passion, due out mid march I think. Got the Michelin camping guide too. Will try and post our proposed route on next few days and see what you guys think if I may...
Thanks again x

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

ronsrecord
80-90 Mem No: 7441

Post by ronsrecord »

Just found this - might be useful

http://about-france.com/tourism/med-avoiding-tolls.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:ok
Making hay while the sun shines!

2.1MV Club Joker, 1988, LPG/ petrol