Full time camping

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Full time camping

Post by AdrianC »

uniB wrote:not sure I could cope with living in my van and travelling to work every day.

Park it up nearer work...?

We've been living in this Westy for just over a year now - but the outside view's changed many many times in that year. Winter was the hardest bit - now that the longer, lighter, warmer evenings are with us, we've got our living room back again. We've not got an awning - too much hassle, given that we do a lot of one-night-per-sites - but I don't think it'd make a LOT of difference.

I really don't know how you'd do it in the UK through winter - awning or not.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merlin Cat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Merlin Cat »

Nice one PBY :D Be interesting to keep up with how its all going. Also combining it with work etc - where to store clothes etc - do you have to dress differently for work than normal?

Adrianc - Where abouts are you, not in the UK?

We lived in our T4 westie for 6 months, from Oct to April, when we 1st headed to Spain. We tried to stay at a camp site for 1 week if poss as then would get the awning out which over doubled our living space! We headed down to Southern France pretty quick as the North was too cold! Fortunately we werent in it for summer down here as it is too hot. A few times we booked into a hotel for a couple of nights if we werent very well to have extra space and our own bathroom!

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Merlin Cat wrote:Adrianc - Where abouts are you, not in the UK?

Right now, on the island of Hvar, Croatia. This is country number nine in that time. Full story's on our blog - http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Just loving your blog Adrian - have started at beginning so may take time to catch up!!!

I am sure you get asked loads but how do you fund this dream? Don't worry about answering if you don't want to. :ok
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

LittleMissSunshine wrote:I am sure you get asked loads but how do you fund this dream? Don't worry about answering if you don't want to. :ok

We lost Ellie's parents a couple of years ago. We've got no kids, so we might as well spend the inheritance on ourselves...

LittleMissSunshine

I did think something like that when I saw your blog is in memory to them. I am currently in Leon- looks amazing. Those midges sounded bad at the beginning!!

I am 'blessed' with a mother in law who is determined to spend my OHs inheritance on herself - she has got herself into so much debt she has a mortgage until she is 78 and she is currently defaulting on that! Looks like we might inherit debt. Anyway - that's a can of worms not to open!!!

I shall keep reading :ok

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

LittleMissSunshine wrote:Looks like we might inherit debt.

Don't worry - you can't. If her estate's negative by the time everything's collected in and rounded up, then any remaining creditors are out of luck!

Glad you're enjoying the blog - there's always more room in the van for more virtual passengers...

LittleMissSunshine

That's good to hear - still it makes me fume that when his dad died suddenly she was left VERY secure and there would have been a modest inheritance for his children. He would turn in his grave if he knew.

Anyway.... Back to the thread! Yep, I am definately a virtual passenger. Will get caught up and then subscribe.

:ok

stoneageman
80-90 Mem No: 8899

Post by stoneageman »

Good for PBY, hope it continues to work out for you!

PBY
80-90 Mem No: 5280

Post by PBY »

Coming up to a year now, have seen so much and really enjoyed the changing of the seasons, must admit am not looking forward to the winter again, themo mat around the pop top is a must! Still living the dream :D
I hate the wind!

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

As well as your insulation mats for windows, have you got a 7 layer isotherm camping bellows for the pop top canvas? I noticed tha Gunzl have them in stock. Useful if you want to leave your rock and roll bed in place and sleep upstairs (unless I guess it gets very cold, I guess).
:)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

PRD wrote:As well as your insulation mats for windows, have you got a 7 layer isotherm camping bellows for the pop top canvas? I noticed tha Gunzl have them in stock. Useful if you want to leave your rock and roll bed in place and sleep upstairs (unless I guess it gets very cold, I guess).
:)

Just noticed when looking for something else that Brickwerks have a 'Thermal pop top screen' for slightly less cash too.

MayaTheBee
80-90 Mem No: 11265

Post by MayaTheBee »

Busy reading your blog... from the beginning... and just cannot stop reading. Not easy having to telling colleges to "come back later", and then again "I'll call you" and now it's becoming, "I'll see if I'm available tomorrow"... really enjoying the trip with you guys :wink:
1992 SA Microbus 2.5i (5-cyl)
“The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.”
Luke 18:27

Kelvyn
80-90 Mem No: 11303

Post by Kelvyn »

Interesting thread and I'm proBably going to lose several hours on the other sites.
This is a good thread to show my girlfriend too. ;-)
1982 Aircooled • KTM 640 Adv • Honda VFR800

PBY
80-90 Mem No: 5280

Post by PBY »

First morning of waking up and seeing my breath for a long time, just put the kettle on and open all doors.. arhh fresh air :wink: summers over..... Does anyone have the thermo bellows / poptop themo cover and if so what are the best / most economical ones?
I hate the wind!