Budget camping in the Ardennes: Any tips?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Budget camping in the Ardennes: Any tips?

Post by Swampy »

Hi guys.

We've got a 2-week return ticket booked on the ferry to France and Charlotte & I were going to head for the Ardennes.

Plan will be:

• Get to the Ardennes.
    Go canoeing 1 day.
    Try & find some nice lakes for the kids to play near.
    Go to Aqualibi 1 day.
    Wander the forests/fields.
    Use Aire-de-Campings a few times to keep costs down.
    Grab a couple of nights in a decent campsite with a pool for the kids.

Does anyone who've been to this region have any tips/advice on any nice spots to pitch up? Or any reasonably-priced campsites? It's us & the two little 'uns, so it's family sightseeing for us.

We're trying to do the trip on a budget of 30 euros a day not including fuel, so any suggestions welcome.

Zebedeus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Budget camping in the Ardennes: Any tips?

Post by Zebedeus »

Hai there,

if you drive from La Roche to Bastogne (not the E25 !, you depart in La Roche from the martket square) you will pass after about 15miles a hotel on your right hand near a bridge over a small river. Then after aboutt 3/4 to 1 mile the road turns in bend to the right. On your left hand is a picknick area.
On that area is dirtroad which lead you to a campsite on the riversite. If you miss it no worries you will see the site on your left hand. Then (!) you know you drove to far. ;-)

The equipment is very basic, toilets showers that is it. The kids can swim in the river and they can catch fish with there bare hands.

Nearby is an artificial lake for canoeing or you can go on one of the many small rivers like the Ourthe.

Price ?? Probably a bargain ;-)

The last time i was there was 11 years ago and at time i paid for caravan 2 pounds a night.

But again; there are only basic facilities.
Succes!

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Re: Budget camping in the Ardennes: Any tips?

Post by Swampy »

That sounds perfect! Definitely putting that on the list to visit. :ok