New Forest Camping

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Roxywagen
80-90 Mem No: 9329

New Forest Camping

Post by Roxywagen »

HI Everyone

We are doing a bit of a south coast tour this year, I have already booked a campsite at Lulworth Cove and another on the Isle of Wight, We am looking to camp in the New Forest for a few nights but there seems to be quite a few campsites to choose from, does any one have a recommendation or favorite?

Cheers

Roxywagen
See what we get up to at http://www.roxywagen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See hubbies "prototype" page http://www.volksbuster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: New Forest Camping

Post by jed the spread »

All the Forest Holidays camp sites are quite good, Roundhill, Sethorns (you need your own loo) etc. This ill give you an idea what its like around the area from the couple of times we have visited,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxW4PkGWqPY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7JOSQnv3nM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

I love camping in the New Forest, and have been to both Rounhill and Sethorns,
Roundhill is my personal favourite, It is more open and you can choose where you park up.There isnt any electric hook up but the shower/toilet blocks are great with lots of piping hot water.

I like the open aspect of it as my little boy can play and ride his bike and I can keep an eye on him.

Sethorns is much more enclosed, being in a wooded area, each pitch is kinda built into the tree's so is more private with electric hook up, probably nicer for couples or adults only, I didnt like it as much as I was always worried where my little boy was !

Both book up well in advance so worth booking as soon as you know the dates.

One trip not all of us could get pitches as Roundhill so one van had to go to Sethorns then come and visit us at roundhill and ' cough ' forget to leave before the 10 pm curfew when the gates are locked :wink:
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

george 57
80-90 Mem No: 5442

Post by george 57 »

love new forrest .........Hollands wood is good :ok no electric hook up but great for a couple of days....................... dont forget to watch out for very friendly ponys that will come to your van :shock:

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

Roxywagen wrote:HI Everyone

We are doing a bit of a south coast tour this year, I have already booked a campsite at Lulworth Cove and another on the Isle of Wight, We am looking to camp in the New Forest for a few nights but there seems to be quite a few campsites to choose from, does any one have a recommendation or favorite?

Cheers

Roxywagen
Have stayed at Lulworth Cove site, good but can get very windy on the top of them cliffs. If you got an awning make sure its well nailed down.
Roundhill for me in the New Forest, very chilled site...
IAN
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

Roxywagen
80-90 Mem No: 9329

Post by Roxywagen »

Thanks for the Lulworth Cove Site tip, we are staying in August and I said to the lady when I booked it is it windy up there on the cliffs and she said "Oh it will be fine in August" I did tell her that we stayed on a cliff top in Exmouth a few years back first week of August and it was very windy and pissed down for a week. We shall see, we can always not put the awning up as we are only staying there for a three nights.

Oh I cant wait!!!

Roxwagen
See what we get up to at http://www.roxywagen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See hubbies "prototype" page http://www.volksbuster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

and don't leave your veg and potaotes under your van in the new forest or else you will be off to the chippy , isn't that right Jed :rofl
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

Roxywagen wrote:Thanks for the Lulworth Cove Site tip, we are staying in August and I said to the lady when I booked it is it windy up there on the cliffs and she said "Oh it will be fine in August" I did tell her that we stayed on a cliff top in Exmouth a few years back first week of August and it was very windy and pissed down for a week. We shall see, we can always not put the awning up as we are only staying there for a three nights.

Oh I cant wait!!!

Roxwagen
Oh forgot to mention ...DO NOT use pitch T3 (how strange is that) coz it floods when it rains heavy :shock:
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

Blue Moonraker
80-90 Mem No: 7316

Post by Blue Moonraker »

Love the New Forest.....would definately recommend the forest hols sites ...Roundhill being a favourite for many years (so long as you can live without leccy). Last year we tried Holmsley for a week or so, although a large site don't be put off as you can still have your own space and is off the beaten track a bit, so very peaceful and with all facilities if you want them.
Its on the road to Nowhere, no one passes by.
No one comes to Norfolk, without a reason why.
1989 Red Westy California

Smudger38

Post by Smudger38 »

Went to Hollands Wood twice last year. Great for the kids and fantastic mountain biking & walking routes through the forest. Just do'nt leave any food laying around as the ponies will have it away!!

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

Perfect timing - I was pondering a New Forest trip earlier today.

It would be in July, not a school hols time my friends said.

Any idea of how it works at Roundhill if you've got, say, 3 vans in one group. Booked in advance of course. Is it just pot luck whether you can pitch together?

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

You should easily be able to pitch up together, the pitches arent marked out, the only rule is to be at least 15ft from the next person, so you just find a empty bit and pitch up. What we have done in the past is if we dont all arrive together then we put a little pup type tent up next to us to save the space.

They basically have a maximum amount of pitches that they sell, so even when fully booked up there still is loads of space and you dont feel cramped in.... thats why I love Roundhill more than typical caravan club type regimented plots with basically rows and rows of vans all parked up neatly next together like a row of semi detached houses on an estate...
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

pionte wrote:You should easily be able to pitch up together, the pitches arent marked out, the only rule is to be at least 15ft from the next person, so you just find a empty bit and pitch up. What we have done in the past is if we dont all arrive together then we put a little pup type tent up next to us to save the space.

They basically have a maximum amount of pitches that they sell, so even when fully booked up there still is loads of space and you dont feel cramped in.... thats why I love Roundhill more than typical caravan club type regimented plots with basically rows and rows of vans all parked up neatly next together like a row of semi detached houses on an estate...

That sounds good.

I remember CC sites from childhood. That 'neat rows' thing fills me with dread. (And at the other end of the scale, I don't like recreation rooms, club houses, purpose built playgrounds etc either). Sounds like Roundhill would be great.

kaminokid
80-90 Mem No: 7175

Post by kaminokid »

Ah "The Forest", its just up the road from us. If the weather looks good we head off early Saturday morning park up in one of the numerous parking areas, tea and bacon butty then off for a nice walk. Denny Wood is our favourite, but there are no facilities there at all just drinking water and toilet disposal. The ponies walk right through the site and it backs onto thick woodland areas where we have seen Stags, deer and foxes. Its very relaxing. We love it.......
Just found out today that Forest Holidays has been taken over by the Caravan and Camping Club so lets hope they dont try to modernise all the sites, so they loose their tranquillity and back to basics feel.
Enjoy!
:ok :ok :ok :ok
88 Holdsworth "Reg"

kaminokid
80-90 Mem No: 7175

Post by kaminokid »

Ah "The Forest", its just up the road from us. If the weather looks good we head off early Saturday morning park up in one of the numerous parking areas, tea and bacon butty then off for a nice walk. Denny Wood is our favourite, but there are no facilities there at all just drinking water and toilet disposal. The ponies walk right through the site and it backs onto thick woodland areas where we have seen Stags, deer and foxes. Its very relaxing. We love it.......
Just found out today that Forest Holidays has been taken over by the Caravan and Camping Club so lets hope they dont try to modernise all the sites, so they loose their tranquillity and back to basics feel.
Enjoy!
:ok :ok :ok :ok
88 Holdsworth "Reg"