Anybody got a good Uk to Europe ferry price recently?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

onecogwonder
80-90 Mem No: 8008

Anybody got a good Uk to Europe ferry price recently?

Post by onecogwonder »

Hi

Just trawling through the minefield that is ferry booking for my June 2 week break, UK to Europe and back. Anybody got any great quotes recently for the journey (ports not important). I was considering going Portsmouth to Santander and then slowly coming back and doing the short Roscoff to Plymouth journey, £543 for two people in a syncro seemed quite a lot but I'm out of touch with the prices these days. Also not sure if my missus could handle the two night crossing down to Spain (my last experience was "hairy"!)

Maybe the more pertinant question would be "who is the fave T25 ferry company at the moment?"

Also, how strict are these companies on vehicle height? I notice a price difference on Brittany Ferries depending on how you select the height. Mines about 1970mm, could I blag my way on as 1830mm or do i need to call it "under 2600mm". Could always let the tyres down I guess?

anaconda
80-90 Mem No: 8055

Re: Anybody got a good Uk to Europe ferry price recently?

Post by anaconda »

Where are you going? Many of the factors affecting choice of ferry depend on your destination.

By far the cheapest are the Calais/Dunkirk ferries - Sea France/Norfolk Line/P and O, and of course Eurotunnel. This often means extra travelling time from the far north east of France. If however you are going to the south of France or Spain then it doesnt make sense to go from anywhere else.

Brittany ferries are the most expensive crossing. They have much of the western port crossings stitched up , although Condor go to Cherbourg and St Malo and will probably be a saving on Brittany ferries. It is also definitely worth checking out LD lines - we got a peak season crossing for a 'minibus' under 2.2 metres for 220 quid which i thought was a good deal. They also go to Le Havre. Ferry companies will generally check your ticket so do be sure to declare accurately, im not talking about a few centimetres in height but if you declare you have a car and turn up in a T25, then you may get asked to pay extra. Ours is a lowered tin top so its just under Brittany ferries 1.85 threshold, should we ever us them in the future. Im a bit nerous about taking our roof box on LD Lines as it takes us slightly over their 2.20 threshold, but they dont say to add roofbox height on their website. I think we'll be ok.

Happy searching!
John

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Discount available on SeaFrance if booked before 18th March using code FUB11BVP

Using this code got me £33 each way!
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

leroiandjayne
80-90 Mem No: 5642

Post by leroiandjayne »

hi we just booked dover-dunkirk 11july-13 august return with norfolk line,motorhome under 2.4 and paid £63,would have been less but august always bumps it up. heading very south east!. :ok

fodtommo
80-90 Mem No: 8963

Post by fodtommo »

As above - 1st 2 weeks in June, Norfolkline Dover Dunkirk £65.00. If we were able to go and return at silly o clock on the morning it would have been more like £40 - £50.

Tip for booking with Norfolkline - they charge £5 to use your Credit Card (i like to use a credit card for this sort of thing), but they have an option to pay with paypal. Pay using Paypal and then select your credit card in Pay Pal checkout!! - no charge.
1986 Leisurdrive Poptop, 1.6d - Rebuilt and Camping with a Vengeance :)

OXI
80-90 Mem No: 623

Post by OXI »

You lot don't know how lucky you are. :shock:

I thought I was doing well this year sailing from Rosslare (Ireland) to Cherbourg for about £325 on 21st May. It can be as much as £625 in July and August.

It's an ovenight sailing with a cabin. We just look on it as part of the holiday. We have a meal, go to the bar where there is usually a band and just chill.

Frank.
Tomorrow never comes. Be happy today.
Member 623

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Any ferry to ireland is expensive, really annoying!!! :x

As already stated - Dover Calais/Dunkerque are the cheapest routes.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Calais Day Trips from £22 Return!*

Even if you don’t go away for a long time, you can still enjoy a short break. Take your car on a day trip to Calais for a taste of France or to stock up on wine from just £22. Includes a car and up to nine people! You can go on almost any time for this special fare. We can’t promise it will last though!

AFerry

AFerry.co.uk [mail@aferry.com]

http://www.aferry.co.uk/
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1