Thanks Club 80 90!

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

emmagirvan
80-90 Mem No: 9034

Thanks Club 80 90!

Post by emmagirvan »

Hi all, I'd like to throw a big thanks out to everyone at 80 90. I have been online for months making notes and getting advice. It has all paid off as our dummy run at camping this weekend was a success. I am happy to say for a girl I did not over pack. Did forget a couple of things like my sons clean pants......... I now realise i like my coffee in a proper mug. Don't get me started on the awning discussion, for our first trip away I didn't want the added expense of a new awning when we hadn't even tried the freebie one that was thrown in with the van. I now know throwing it open in the house to familierise yourself with it is not the same as struggling in the Scottish winds and near dark conditions ON MY OWN. (I think I need an easy erect Kyham!!!!!!!) Two nights at Ardgarten on Loch long in the miserable Scottish weather........... we survived! Even when I was outside in my PJ's and wellies in a hurricane at 9a.m. fighting with awning to get down. This has not put us off. Roll on the dry weather!! Thanks again. Hopefully some photos will be below to show a lkittle of our first time away.

Emma and Olly
http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m60 ... mping2011/

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Re: Thanks Club 80 90!

Post by T'Onion »

well done , looks like your kiddie enjoyed himself
nice looking van as well
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

well done ... more smiles to come then.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ronsrecord
80-90 Mem No: 7441

Post by ronsrecord »

Jeez - looks cold! Well done. Things can only get better.

And boys don't need clean pants - they can wear the same ones for weeks - even when they've grown up!!

Making hay while the sun shines!

2.1MV Club Joker, 1988, LPG/ petrol

Mash
80-90 Mem No: 2251

Post by Mash »

Glad you had a good time! You'll be planning adventures everywhere now Top tip to remember is that if you can alway follow the sunshine at short notice and have a great time.

Maybe see you at Voksfling if you go.

Ash
Matt & Ash

1983 2.1DJ LPG Westy Club Joker 5M
2010 2.0 T5 Multivan 132kW Comfortline(Aus Spec)

john1
80-90 Mem No: 10337

Post by john1 »

emmagirvan wrote:Hi all, I'd like to throw a big thanks out to everyone at 80 90. I have been online for months making notes and getting advice. It has all paid off as our dummy run at camping this weekend was a success. I am happy to say for a girl I did not over pack. Did forget a couple of things like my sons clean pants......... I now realise i like my coffee in a proper mug. Don't get me started on the awning discussion, for our first trip away I didn't want the added expense of a new awning when we hadn't even tried the freebie one that was thrown in with the van. I now know throwing it open in the house to familierise yourself with it is not the same as struggling in the Scottish winds and near dark conditions ON MY OWN. (I think I need an easy erect Kyham!!!!!!!) Two nights at Ardgarten on Loch long in the miserable Scottish weather........... we survived! Even when I was outside in my PJ's and wellies in a hurricane at 9a.m. fighting with awning to get down. This has not put us off. Roll on the dry weather!! Thanks again. Hopefully some photos will be below to show a lkittle of our first time away.

Emma and Olly
http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m60 ... mping2011/

Well done Emma,

Weather looks fine to me!!
Olly didnt mind by the looks of it, bus looks warm.
If you go back there in the Summer take a fishing rod for Olly, loads of safe spots for him there.
I planning a wee trip away tomorrow not sure where.

john

Silky
80-90 Mem No: 8535

Post by Silky »

I'm really impressed you've been out in the van so early, we haven't had an overnighter in ours yet as I'm such a big wuss but I'm definitely tempted after seeing the pics. I'm thinking of overnighting near Nottingham in a couple of weeks with my 2 girls and dog, as my youngest girl is an un-convinced camper (despite total indoctrination over the last few years) I can tell it's going to be a fun weekend.

Were you on a proper campsite or was this wild camping Emma?

Silky x
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will p.iss off enough people to make it worth the effort

Alice
80-90 Mem No: 5904

Post by Alice »

So glad it went well Emma, now you've done it in cruddy weather everything else will be easy

(My boys would happily wear the same pants for a month if I let them )

emmagirvan

Post by emmagirvan »

Alice,

You've not met my son.... I'm still undecided why he was p@@@ed off? Either he had no clean pants or I had the cheeck to forget his pants but remember my own?!?? Will not make that mistake again. It all went well and we treated ourselves to a kyham easy in the winter sale so no tears from me trying to errect the awning !!
Cheers,

Emma

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

If there is just the two of you ditch the awning and enjoy the freedom of just parking up at any old angle and cracking open a couple of drinks, enjoy your weekend, then just drive off home when your done without any dramas or worrying about wind

I know you had to try it, but we dont bother with one.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Alice

Post by Alice »

jed the spread wrote:If there is just the two of you ditch the awning and enjoy the freedom of just parking up at any old angle and cracking open a couple of drinks, enjoy your weekend, then just drive off home when your done without any dramas or worrying about wind

I know you had to try it, but we dont bother with one.

jed

My kids spend half their lives getting in and out of the van, at sites, getting bug boxes, balls, kites, hats, drinks. If it's raining the van turns into a mud bath. Also little-un can't open the sliding door on his own, or shut it properly. We have a pull out fiamma thing on the new van, which was great at the weekend, but a pain if you want to pop off somewhere for the day. We also have a big awning, and to be honest the few minutes it takes to put up, especially with 2 slaves/ handy assistants, is worth it for the dry van and space.

emmagirvan

Post by emmagirvan »

I think for the weekend trips in the hot summer (????????) it'll be a case of pack up and go. But for the longer trips in the summer and easter we'll both need a bit of living space for that not so hot summer (????????). Yes Alice, boys and manky welly boots don't get in the van!!
P.s Why can't I get the smiley faces to work?

Emma x

Alice

Post by Alice »

If it's raining, even with shoes off rule, the rain comes in the door. It might be worth you getting a fiamma thing, or before we had a big sheet on guy poles, anything to shelter the door. I really like sitting in the van with the door open in the summer, watching the kids having fun in the rain. (it works as a sunshade too, in the unlikely event....)

Smilies only show up as smilies when you have submitted the message, before that they appear as the test command.

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

I'd highly recomend a Fiamma caravanstore or similar. Wouldnt be without one. As for awning I only use ours if away for longer than a weekend or there is more than the two of us. Simply too much effort for a weekend for me

emmagirvan

Post by emmagirvan »

Yes, was thinking the fiamma caravanstore would be better for a one nighter? Had looked at them before? Anyone know the best dimensions if I was to have one on a hightop????

Cheers

Emma