Recommendations for camping in southern ireland?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

djp7323
80-90 Mem No: 7907

Recommendations for camping in southern ireland?

Post by djp7323 »

Off to lreland and want to explore the southern part. Any recommendations of good sites and things to do for kids. 6 and 2! :ok

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Recommendations for camping in southern ireland?

Post by 1664 »

We stayed here for a couple of nights a few years ago. Very nice site with loads of peacocks wandering around - there's also a vietnamese pot bellied pig (unless they've eaten it). http://www.bearacamping.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can pretty much park up wherever you fancy in Ireland; they're not anal about it like over here. Plenty of deserted beaches (just follow signs that say 'strand'), mountains and lakes. Plenty of campsites dotted around if you don't fancy wild camping - if you do I've put three places on the dingle peninsular on the 80-90 wild camping map which you can access in the Members' Only forum here http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The south and west coasts of Ireland are beautiful and the ring of Kerry is gob smacking. Just outside of Kilarney heading south there is the 'Old Kenmare Road' which is now a rather delapadated small tarmacish track that leads up to a recreational area deep in the woodland which is also rather nice, but I can't find it to put it on the map.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

djp7323
80-90 Mem No: 7907

Post by djp7323 »

Thank you very much, we had thought of that area and as a result i think we will be going
:ok

8673sharp
80-90 Mem No: 4856

Post by 8673sharp »

We stayed at 3 really nice sites last year over there. One was Blarney campsite about 10 minute walk down hill to the obvious :lol: ,. Also stayed at one near Kilkenny which had a nice mile and a half walk from the Campsite to the town. Cant remember the last one, sorry to be so vague. Found them on the tourist board website though. Ireland is prohibitively expensive though. I think it was cheaper to go out for a few beers than to have a few at the van! The Blarney campsite was excellent, definitely my favourite. It was also a short bus ride into Cork, although regardless of what you hear Cork's not that great (my opinion). Kilkenny was lovely though. My top tip would be buy as much food as you can before you go :idea:
1987 autohomes kamper 1.9 pop top, (as requested by the head honcho!)

Blue Moonraker
80-90 Mem No: 7316

Post by Blue Moonraker »

We visited County Wexford a few years back (Sister in law was living there... ferry into Rosslare from Fishguard) although we were not camping it is a lovely area of Southern Ireland to visit. We travelled around the area as far down as Cork. Unless things are vastly improved bear in mind that they are about 15 years behind. You couldn't just pop down to the local tesco's/sainsbug because it was about 35 miles away and the local town had individual shops, greengrocer,bakery, hardware (she ordered a tin of paint that took a week to come!!),chemist's etc with a small supermarket that reminded us of the Co-op from 25 years ago......personally we loved it :D
Its on the road to Nowhere, no one passes by.
No one comes to Norfolk, without a reason why.
1989 Red Westy California

minke
80-90 Mem No: 4200

Post by minke »

To quote 1664
"You can pretty much park up wherever you fancy in Ireland; they're not anal about it like over here. Plenty of deserted beaches (just follow signs that say 'strand'), mountains and lakes. Plenty of campsites dotted around if you don't fancy wild camping - if you do I've put three places on the dingle peninsular on the 80-90 wild camping map which you can access in the Members' Only forum here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63459"

I toured nearly the whole coast of Ireland, Mostly parking where I liked, had a band of cyclists with me & we had a fab time except for the mozzies on the West coast so take yer jungle formula.

One of the guys cycling (It was his Vw air colled van), named Paddy wrote a book about the trip, its quite funny.
Book is called "a trip around my Mother' by Paddy Mounter.

Nearly the whole of the West coast is abso stunning & well worth remembering to take a good camera, as some of the sunsets..just blow u away.

Nearly every pub has live music in the evenings, and quite a few have been on the tele or in movies over the years, so if ye get a feelin of Deja Vu..it maybe cos yuv seen it on the tele.

Fun..fun..fun.. :ok

Top up yer tank in the uK afore ye go, tis dearer over there.

Kev

marandali
80-90 Mem No: 3991

Post by marandali »

Hello all,

I was searching for info about camping in south/south west ireland and came across this thread from last year.
Anyone got any newer suggestions of where's good to go?

Other things to consider for us:
near to a good beach for surfing (for me)
hot shower (for the wife and baby)
dog friendly (erm...for the dog!)

We're going for 2 weeks travelling from Rosslare to the South West. And then back across to Dublin :-)

Any insider info much appreciated...
'88 twin slider 1.9 auto

carlmarx
80-90 Mem No: 6250

Post by carlmarx »

..................................................................................................................................................................
VW Uber Alles.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

marandali wrote: near to a good beach for surfing (for me)
hot shower (for the wife and baby)
dog friendly (erm...for the dog!)

Try a bit further north on the west coast for good surf: Bundoran is good for surfing but the town looks real crappy.

We stopped in Strandhill in Sligo, it had an OK campsite and the surf was the best I've ever experienced. As for dogs I don't know.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

Lackan Bay & Kilcummin Bay in County Mayo is perfect for a bit of wild camping,surfing and waking up to....

The beach can get a bit crowded though...

Hopefully be back over again myself next month....wonderful place and people. :ok
There's no 'r' in bought!

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Yes the beaches can be crowded (sorry, picture a composite of old fashioned 'photographs')

and at the top of Connor's Pass

with this view in the morning (composite again)

it's just bluddy fantastic over there :ok
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

tonytype25
80-90 Mem No: 6641

Post by tonytype25 »

We are just back from camping wild, and on "official" , campsites in far west Cork and Kerry for a week .We also had a week in Salou (SALLOON) Spain, and even though it was warmer, it could'nt touch the week we had camping in our type 25. The weather was mixed, as always we often had 4 seasons in 1 hour, not to mind one day. but the fresh air, and the sea, and the lovely sometimes half mad charachters we met , and the totally laid back freeness, of camping in one of the last unspoiled wild environments anywhere, chilled us out completely, and charged our batteries up to max, to face the rodent race we had to face when going back to earn a crust. I'm back to the grind three weeks now and still feeling the benifits. Im hooked on camper vans for life now and couldnt care for any other type of holiday.
Contrary to widespread and popular opinion Ireland is still is unique in the world and we've got a lot to offer to anyone whose willing to come over with an open mind and enjoy what we've got to offer. Never mind the overpriced hotels and restaurants and bars who are doing their best to kill our visitors enthusiasm.
Come and enjoy.

OXI
80-90 Mem No: 623

Post by OXI »

I was in Co Clare, west of Ireland last week. We stayed in a little place called Doolin and spent our days walking on the Burren. Facinating place. Google the Burren, you won't be disappointed. Nights were spent in Gus O'conners pub. A bit touristy, but decent diddely dee music and great craic.

We visited the Aran Islands too. Now that's a place to lose your worries!

If you want to experience a completely different culture and attitude to life, go to the west of Ireland.

Frank.
Tomorrow never comes. Be happy today.
Member 623