Panel protection?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Clagmeister
80-90 Mem No: 3698

Panel protection?

Post by Clagmeister »

Hi,

My 1983 Westy Joker is in quite good condition and I would like it to stay that way. Any ideas on how to protect panel seams, window seals etc from the British weather. One problem is that I use it alot so can't cover it up.

Thanks in advance

Claggy
The bug-out sweeps on!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I wax mine once a week and always wipe off the water after washing I keep the interior as dry as possible....during the winter months washing under the van too
it's kept under a car port at night.

it will rust thats inevitable you will not stop that happening but you can slow this process down by looking after the paint and regularly checking underneath and correcting anything that looks like its getting crusty.

if it's not waxoyled then I would consider this investment
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Gone-Westy
80-90 Mem No: 2939

Post by Gone-Westy »

Claggy,

the bloke I bought mine off told me to rub a little vaseline into the seams to prevent rust developing. Seems to sound logical but can't vouch for it's success as only just got my van 2 weeks ago!

GW

Clagmeister

Post by Clagmeister »

thanks,

When I rub the vaseline into the seams and my neighbour asks what I'm doing i shall say 'just rubbing some vaseline into the crack'. :lol:

I will give it a go.

claggy :D
The bug-out sweeps on!

timthetrader
80-90 Mem No: 2781

Post by timthetrader »

A while ago i had a 66ft narrow boat which i lived on! Anyway when i brought it it was 45ft lond so i had a boat yard chop of the end and weld in a section to lengthen in so when they gave in back i had a section of steel of 20ft! As its going to spend its life on a canal it needs insulation so I found a company that sprays the inside of the steal with somesort of foam. Would this proceedure be an idea for my van? After it had been sprayed on no air cound get to the metal It was meant for insullation and curb condensation.
VW 1990 autohomes

Clagmeister

Post by Clagmeister »

Can you spread this waxoyl stuff everywhere then? outside,inside and underneath? Isn't it a messy job?

thanks for all the tips

claggy
The bug-out sweeps on!