Northern Spain - Galicia

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jpennington
80-90 Mem No: 8028

Northern Spain - Galicia

Post by jpennington »

I'm planning to explore the northern coast of Spain - never been there before. Aiming for Finisterre; just because it's there.
Ferry to Cherbourg next Monday, a quick(ish) trot through France then turn right.

Anyone been thereabouts? All advice gratefully received.
1986, Westfalia Joker, DJ 2.1 engine, 5 speed.
Mine from new, now sold.
Replaced by a T6 California

shorehambeach
80-90 Mem No: 13454

Re: Northern Spain - Galicia

Post by shorehambeach »

Yes many times :ok Beautiful rugged coastline and great local food. Very hilly !! :lol:

however....

On the way stop at St Vincente De La Barqeura ( http://www.campingelrosal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) very good but very busy in season ..... beautiful fishing village about 40 miles West of Santander. Pass by the Picos De Europa national park ..... stunning.
84 T25 West Country Kestrel 1.9 Manual

jpennington
80-90 Mem No: 8028

Post by jpennington »

Thanks, just the sort of info I was hoping for. I will certainly take a look at St Vincente De La Barqeura.

BTW my Westy loves hills. Did the Hard Knott pass (1 in 3) in Cumbria for the second time last month.

jp
1986, Westfalia Joker, DJ 2.1 engine, 5 speed.
Mine from new, now sold.
Replaced by a T6 California

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

We are heading that way in August. Can't wait to see your pics and any recomendations. :ok
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

stonedcold
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by stonedcold »

While in Galicia check La playa de las catedrales, best to be there around midday. Consume as much of the local cuisine as humanly possible.
Los Picos are in Asturias, you will see them on your way to Galicia. You could stop off to "Escanciar sidra " pour Cider the real way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhG7tHWoAw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have a fantastic trip and be ready to be blown away with the views and the locals are very friendly, fantastic part of Spain.

terryvanman
80-90 Mem No: 737

Post by terryvanman »

If you want a nice place to stay...with a friendly family and a syncro owner,, try here

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Spain/ ... p73009.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
suck squeeze bang blow, the cycle of a 4 stroke

aerovolito
80-90 Mem No: 10794

Post by aerovolito »

I was there February/March. I travelled the whole coastline coming up through Portugal on my way back from Morocco. Camped wild the whole time. I visited Fisterra and planned to camp beside the lighthouse but it turned out to be a stormy night so I camped on the harbour wall in the town instead. I'm glad I did as there was a festival being held. In the morning, at low tide, I collected mussels off the harbour walls...nom nom. If that was Portugal, they would have been picked clean. For some reason the Spanish weren't bothered.

Have you looked at the 'furgovw' website? Well worth checking out if you want recommendations as to where to camp/park. I used it the whole time. The whole coastline is stunning so you are truly spoilt for places to stay.

Enjoy.
Up is the new Down
Jacked Up 88 Westy Joker Hi-Top
87 Unimog Ambulance slowly turning into a camper