Off to Whitby for the first time...

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Vdub89
80-90 Mem No: 6123

Off to Whitby for the first time...

Post by Vdub89 »

Hi everyone,

Off to Whitby for the long weekend and the weather forecast is looking sunny (but cool). Any advice on must see things/ places to go as we have not been camping in this area before.

Cheers

Vdub89 :D

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Off to Whitby for the first time...

Post by weldore »

When we went we spent a few lovely hours at the end of the pier watching the immigrants arrive in small boats...had an ice cream too :grin:
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

budda666
80-90 Mem No: 12351

Post by budda666 »

- The pie shop is good (http://www.humblepienmash.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), if you can get in - on the abbey side of town, on your right as you follow the road round off the bridge.
- La Rosa Hotel (http://www.larosa.co.uk/hotel/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), near the whale bones, has a tea room which is very 'quirky' + the rooms are brilliant as well if you ever plan on going back and staying indoors.
- The town museum is bonkers (http://www.whitbymuseum.org.uk/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), full of interesting and amusing tat and worth the entrance fee

I'm sure alot of people will say the Magpie for fish and chips, I've never been as there is always a massive queue outside (and it's usually raining).

We're heading a bit further up the coast to Saltburn for a 'test' camp in our new van so hope the weather clears up as promised (I'm currently about 25 miles from the coast and it's a FILTHY day here)
Robin

Eddie - 1987 Club Joker 1 - 1.6 TD

Vdub89

Post by Vdub89 »

Thanks very much,

Yep the weather is supposed to get better with two days of sun (but still cold). Hope the test camp goes ok!

:D

Cheers

Vdub89

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

sandsend is a nice quite beach great for kids ten mins north, grosmont is about 20 mins north. great big carpark and loads of country walks, there you can catch the steam train to pickering or goathland or you could walk to goathland about 5 miles nice steady walk without too many hills, stop off at beck hole halfwayish there's a nice pub with a beer garden and a 5 min walk to a water fall. robin hoods bay is south about 30 mins nice village, don't attempt to drive to village park up top and walk down, last couple of times we've been the beach has been covered in weed, but the rock pools are great

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

budda666

Post by budda666 »

Well fingers crossed anyway - came back from my first proper run out today to find a slightly stinky and hot front left wheel. Think I've got a binding brake - don't think there's much I can do with it over the bank holiday so going to soldier on regardless (but carefully) and get it looked at when we get back next week.

Nobody warned me it was going to be like this. Oh no, wait. They did. Several times!
Robin

richnat1988
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by richnat1988 »

i think there is a fancy cathederall in the hills above whitby,it was in the film bram stokers,it wasn`t raining when we drove through but did stop for chips.

budda666

Post by budda666 »

Vdub - how did you get on? I bet Whitby was busy! Hope the A64 wasn't too bad for you on the drive back, it can be a nightmare at the best of times on a bank holiday but I was reading about a couple of crashes closing it yesterday.

We survived - great weather, nice campsite and no 'major' problems with the van!
Robin

Vdub89

Post by Vdub89 »

Hi there,

Yes we had a great time thank you. We were actually staying at the Middlewood farm campsite in Robin Hood's bay, it was really good with very friendly staff and clean facilities. Got fish and chips from the Magpie on the Friday night (really good fish) and took back to the campsite, then lovely walk to Robin Hood's bay on the Saturday from the campsite (10 mins or so) and enjoyed hunting for fossils whilst eating Ice cream.

Whitby was nice...but very very busy and I found myself wanting to get out of there after a few hours. Went on a boat trip with a broken speaker system so didn't learn that much unfortunately, but did come away with a lucky duck from the lucky duck shop. The main thing was the weather was amazing from the Friday night to Sunday evening when we drove home, really enjoyed it.

On the way home headed South for a bit until we reached Scarborough, what are peoples thoughts of Scarborough? I think I went in a back way via North cove, but when sea front road was blocked headed up over hill and down some winding streets (with amazing little houses and great views)...only to emerge onto a sea front full to the brim of amusements and fun fairs. I was a bit gutted to be honest, driving through the back street I thought I had found a quaint seaside town...I was wrong :shock: I understand everyone likes a flutter on a 2 pence machine every now and then, but this was crazy and almost spoilt it...what are peoples thoughts.

Anyway ended up driving back via Saltburn for lunch and enjoyed my sandwich looking out over the bay from the van. Robin glad your trip went ok, got to admit that getting new calipers on the front of my van made it a much more pleasant experience...worth the investment.

Thanks

Vdub89

budda666

Post by budda666 »

Scarborough's all right - although I'm a bit biased as spent alot of childhood holidays there and nearly bought a house there last year. It doesn't do one thing really well and yes the south bay can be a bit garish, but it's a big town and the more you explore you can find surfy bits, victorian bits, classic seaside bits + shops could be alot worse. Has it's fair share of run down bits as well but I think it's had a fair bit of money chucked at it in the last few years which has made a difference.

Were you parked up in Saltburn on Sunday afternoon down the front? Just tripped across a few photos of the interior of your van on another thread - pretty sure it was yours I must have had a quick nosey at on the way back to our van (we were in that little car park on the left on your way into town).
Robin

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

Post by Thorgills »

Being a Scarborugh boy, I make no qualms about being Scarborough being one of the greatest locations on the planet! If you'd have turned left instead of right you'd have gone back fond the closed off road ?its actually one way at the moment fo work)
The best bit about Scarborough is within 20 minutes any direction you get moors, cliffs, beaches, forestry, town, village and of course one direction you be wet!!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!

Vdub89

Post by Vdub89 »

Hi Robin,

We were indeed parked there on Sunday afternoon, I did spot a T25 in that car park as we drove through, but then had to pay more attention to road and finding a space. You should have said hello as we didn't get out of the van, just took in the view from the higher level around the bay. I was pleased with our new storage unit as it worked out a treat for the trip.

It sounds like I will have to check Scarborough out again...maybe not on a bank holiday weekend though.

Cheers

Marcus