More places like the west wittering?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mantaj

More places like the west wittering?

Post by mantaj »

Hi

I'm from Brighton but often find my self driving the family to the beach at West Wittering as you can park on a big open field, set up for the day, use the facilities and beach and have a BBQ. It's a great day for kids. I just wish I knew more places you could go like this , even if it's there is no beach. It's about being able to be around your parked van that's not in a tarmaced car park!

James

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: More places like the west wittering?

Post by Cableguy »

A bit further afield, but kimmeridge in Dorset is a fab place. The carpark is on the top of a cliff and it's grass, ideal for a BBQ etc. beach is brilliant, it's rocky, but v interesting. :ok
Or closer to home, Burling gap is quite nice nr Beachy Head,I've done a Barbie in the car park there too. 8)

Palomino
80-90 Mem No: 10108

Post by Palomino »

Or Brean near Weston-Super-Mud. You can park on the beach there.
The worrying thing about middle age is knowing that you'll grow out of it.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

There are quite a few places like West Wittering only slightly less crowded along the South Coast. I enjoy getting out and finding them and if you dont mind wild camping you can stay on most of them between December and March without anyone around after 4pm until 10am as the parking restrictions dont apply in the cooler months.

This place is good for a day trip and has areas you can park up in and use the BBQ facilities and has nice walks :wink:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/qecp/map-qecp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi Mantaj

I know exactly what you mean... yrs ago we used to be able to park just off the road at stanmer park until bunding was there to prevent travellers encampents.

Thanksfor the tip about w wittering and for yours jed too - might try that one out this summer if we get one - i sometimes park up on the prom at hove nr Marzzocchis for a brew (tea.....not special) - not quite away from it all but at least able to enjoy view and use van facilities,

Matt - brighton

mantaj

Post by mantaj »

Thanks for your suggestions , might try some lesser know roads upto the downs to find some more places

AarenAce
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by AarenAce »

*West Witterings is a great beach to go to but get there early

*Thorpe Park is just down the road

*Spend a day with friends/family planning retro games like rounds in The New Forest

*Go to Moors Valley Country Park near Bournemouth and attempt Go Ape

*Take some bikes to Queen Elizabeth Country Park in Horndean, have a go at the trails there then treat yourself to a BBQ afterwards

*Marwell Zoo

*If you like history Fishbourne Roman Palace and Butser Historical Village are brilliant

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

Palomino wrote:Or Brean near Weston-Super-Mud. You can park on the beach there.

Yes, that's not too far from me. I also found one in Cornwall a couple of years ago which was really nice as it had a pub too! Can't remember which one it was now though but this looks useful:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/l ... /cornwall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)