Lakes or Peaks??

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

littlecharlie
80-90 Mem No: 9351

Lakes or Peaks??

Post by littlecharlie »

Our trip to France has been put on hold so we're staying in the sunny UK instead. Never been to the Lake District or Peak District so don't know which to choose!

Which is best for chilling out, walking the dog & visiting a few local pubs? We'll be going mid June for around 10 days.

Any campsite recommenations would be good to help us too, so many to choose from!

Thanks. 8)
T25 Transporter - 1900 petrol - DIY Conversion - German LHD import

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Lakes or Peaks??

Post by ghost123uk »

I would go for the Peak District. The lakes will be very busy at that time of year, the "places" are further apart so walking from one to another is a bit of a hike (literally) plus, if the weather is bad it can be very bleak.

Have a look around Manifold Valley in the peaks, type "Wetton" into Google maps for the area and then have a look around with the street view thing. It is very very nice with some lovely walks, lots of village pubs and lots of places to camp. We stayed behind a great pub, but cannot remember it's name now. The whole area is beautiful and we certainly will be going there again this year :) Oh, it's nearer as well ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

littlecharlie wrote:Never been to the Lake District or Peak District so don't know which to choose!

Both are beautiful. In mid-June, the Lakes will be _heaving_, whilst the Peaks will be relatively quiet. In addition, the Peaks are several hours nearer Cambridge... It's a no-brainer.

There's quite a few campsites in good locations - there's one just behind the Monsal Head Hotel, which looks out over one of the most fantastic bits of scenery and a great walking trail. The Packhorse, just down the lane in Little Longstone is a great pub, too - Thornbridge beers. Mmmm.

(But then I'm biased - that's all less than a mile from my mum's house...)
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

littlecharlie

Post by littlecharlie »

Thanks for the info. Distance to travel isn't a worry but we don't want it to be too busy so we're going for the Peaks.

Just a matter of finding that perfect campsite!

:D

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Mid June in the Lakes isn't the peak time, the weekends are busy but through the week it's not so bad.........or maybe because I live here it only seems less busy, I have probably just got used to it all.....you could do both of course....weekend in the Peak district, drive by Brickwerks on Monday and be in the Lakes for teatime for the rest of your time. As long as you avoid the honey traps of Windermere, Bowness, Ambleside and Grasmere you should have a quiet-ish time.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from another earlier post :ok
David
the future is unwritten

mark.sleep
80-90 Mem No: 11908

Post by mark.sleep »

Peaks, without a shadow of a doubt, the lakes are amazing, but the walks are much longer and less pub like!!

Campsites near Froggatt or Stanage are both good places to start and the walks along the top of each rock outcrop are amazing and fairly easy going, just remember to take Avon Silky Smooth skin moisturiser to avoid midge bites, they are the size of crows up there.

Buxton is quite nice as well, but don't count out a couple of days in the North York Moors, my wife and I used the cool camping book, it sent us to some really nice sites, also just look out for signs on the road, some are hand painted for farmers fields, but these are the best, we used one somewhere in the moors and the farmer gave us breakfast included in the price and came to the pub with us in the evening, it was a great way of meeting people, it did mean i woke up with a slight headache though :roll:

Hope that helps
1982 2.0 Aircooled, ex twin slider, autosleeper solid pop top conversion

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

mark.sleep wrote:also just look out for signs on the road, some are hand painted for farmers fields, but these are the best,

There is one of these campsites if you drive up winnats pass and turn left towards Buxton the sign is there. You'll be surrounded by mam tor and hundreds of breathtaking walks. Would love to camp there myself but I live round here and wouldn't be the same :/
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

littlecharlie

Post by littlecharlie »

Thanks for all your replies, we've settled on the Peaks & like the look of this site http://www.rivendalecaravanpark.co.uk/ ticks the boxes for walking & seems to have nice facilities. My wife is a camping newbie so we have to have nice showers, ehu etc.... Anybody stayed here? Judging by the reviews it's nice on the main site but basic on the 'meadows' camping area so we should be ok!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Flip, that is one posh looking campsite :shock:

Her indoors should be happy then :D

Personally I prefer your farmers field type sites :D
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

littlecharlie

Post by littlecharlie »

I have to keep her happy.....her budget for a liitle sporty car was hijacked by me to go towards the van! 8)

knightman2749
80-90 Mem No: 8928

Post by knightman2749 »

Look at Royal Oak

This is on TissingtonTrail near Buxton

Brilliant site behind pub

Great food and and a good site with all amenities.

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

littlecharlie wrote:Thanks for all your replies, we've settled on the Peaks & like the look of this site http://www.rivendalecaravanpark.co.uk/ ticks the boxes for walking & seems to have nice facilities. My wife is a camping newbie so we have to have nice showers, ehu etc.... Anybody stayed here? Judging by the reviews it's nice on the main site but basic on the 'meadows' camping area so we should be ok!

Ive viited that site....there are lots that are nicer.
The toilets and showers are really good....the location is good but the site is a little scruffy.....or was last year when we popped in to visit someone who was staying there....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

littlecharlie

Post by littlecharlie »

Ive viited that site....there are lots that are nicer.
The toilets and showers are really good....the location is good but the site is a little scruffy.....or was last year when we popped in to visit someone who was staying there...

Thanks Keith, it's hard to judge just by reading reviews from various websites.

Any chance of divulging the name of a couple of the ones that are a lot nicer :D

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

If you like the plush sites......

Caravan club at carsington....used to be blackwall plantation.....perfect.

Greenhills near to bakewell

I like glencote nr to cheddleton.....perfectly kept...canalside pub....fishing lake....steam railway....close to alton towers ?
And close to this gem of a pub....http://www.blacklionpub.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Callow top....can get busy!...but i like it. Onsite micro brewery...nice pub....nice village green feel outside the pub..

Loosehill....castleton...another caravan club. Or grin low nr to buxton......

Are you planning to move around a bit.....i would....to get the most from the peaks..
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes