opinions on Corsica

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

opinions on Corsica

Post by lloydy »

hi all, we are heading to the mid to west side of the pyrenees this August, and we are looking at visiting the perpignan-montpellier coastline. Corsica is temptingly close.... Has anyone been? Is it somewhere worth visiting for a week? is it too busy in August?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: opinions on Corsica

Post by AdrianC »

A few years ago, we flew, hired a car, then bimbled around finding B&B wherever. Mid-September, IIRC, so can't comment on August beyond the usual "It's France. Everybody's en vacances in August"...

BEAUTIFUL place. Really gorgeous. Not cheap, though. Plenty of campsites around the various "high-traffic" areas, not very much at all outside them. There wouldn't be a lot of scope for wild camping, although we weren't looking.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks Adrian, would love to visit there, Just have a feeling it might be a bit manic, will probably stick to the mainland, Should be enough to keep us busy for 3 weeks

xriss
80-90 Mem No: 1926

Post by xriss »

i had just the same plann lloyed corica sardinia, its pretty cheap ferry wise circa 70 euro return that for a car if i recall and not sure how the islands connect....ones mounttainous the other over 600 beaches so lots of good camping & surf if that rocksyour hitop :D or pop top in your case :D
80-90 Mem#:1926
Syncronaut Mem#:66

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

Been to Corsica three times in the Syncro Lloydy; great place for a camper holiday.

Went with the family when the kids were younger and never booked anything but the ferries in advance. Always got onto a campsite when needed and have pretty much covered most of the islands best bits.

In all honesty you will find it busy in August but I have always found the mainland busier!
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks for that Mark, i'm going to have to look into it a bit. Does really appeal to me though

xriss
80-90 Mem No: 1926

Post by xriss »

sardina looks good ..wonder how the crossing from one island to the other id done as its only a stones throws distance between them, sardina seems to have a whole lot more beaches and far less mountrains and hilly terraine :D ...might be checking out the pair myself this may:)
80-90 Mem#:1926
Syncronaut Mem#:66

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Yes it does look nice, will be looking into that, we have a vague plan leading down to Montpellier, so thats certainly a option..

frenchwesty
80-90 Mem No: 9538

Post by frenchwesty »

Been to corsica many times as used to work in tourism for a camping company, so yes there are plenty of campsites all over, however i find the south of the island prettier. In August will be busy as is french holidays then also but will get quieter towards the end of August as kids go back to school here beginning of september. Will be busy around the 15th as is a big bank holiday in france then. Also why not visit Sardinia also the ferry goes from bonifacio in the south of corsica a pretty little port village. You could go as a foot passengers for the day or take the camper to discover also but bet that small ferry will be very busy in August!!

If your in Montpellier i know ferries leave from Toulon just past marseille usually overnight ferries from there or also from nice you get the faster express ferries but coming from Languedoc is a further drive to Nice. In a car montpellier to Toulon would say around 3 hours.

ferry companies i believe are corsica ferries and also SNCM ferries.

We live just down the road from Nice Round 20 minutes and we have a 82 1.6D high top westy, so can also recommend the cote D'azur the Area where we live, plenty of campsites in the summer we go camping each weekend, lots to see nice beaches, marineland the fairs, Monaco, Nice, Cannes, St Tropez, all the small hill top vilages, gorges du verdon and so on. On the down side like corscia is a more expensive area than the pyrenees languedoc/rousillion area where i also worked.

Have fun planning the planning the hols and even more fun on your hols.

Andy

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

I agree on gorges du verdon, we stumbled across it last year and found it amazing. You should book mark that one Lloydy :wink:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks for the comprehensive info above, very helpful.
Just looked up that Verdon area, it is very nice. Not too sure if we will be heading over that way though. Would like to find similar places in the direction of the Pyrenees, very tempting though... A few of the places we are heading for a kayak would be great. So might have to start looking at them.

andy mc
80-90 Mem No: 9006

Post by andy mc »

Hi
I think latest VW Camper&bus mag has an article on a Corsica trip in a bay.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Gorge de Verdon looks to nice to miss....

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

andy mc wrote:Hi
I think latest VW Camper&bus mag has an article on a Corsica trip in a bay.
thanks, ill see if i can speed read it in whsmiths

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

lloydy wrote:Gorge de Verdon looks to nice to miss....
It's fantastic.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;