A few days away in deepest, darkest Wales

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

richnat1988
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: A few days away in deepest, darkest Wales

Post by richnat1988 »

richnat1988 wrote:hi, its my favourite place, i think where you went up in the clouds may have been the highest mountain pass if its the balla road if memory serves me, if you go over the dam keeping the lake on your right and turn right at the end and then follow the road for a mile or so and take a left on to some tracks( wood cutters tracks, you can get a birds eye view of vrnwy and plenty of wood for a fire for the night,we did it in a couple of cars and got stuck in some mud but it was well worth it.
oh and it can get busy

richnat1988
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by richnat1988 »

richnat1988 wrote:
richnat1988 wrote:hi, its my favourite place, i think where you went up in the clouds may have been the highest mountain pass if its the balla road if memory serves me, if you go over the dam keeping the lake on your right and turn right at the end and then follow the road for a mile or so and take a left on to some tracks( wood cutters tracks, you can get a birds eye view of vrnwy and plenty of wood for a fire for the night,we did it in a couple of cars and got stuck in some mud but it was well worth it.
oh and it can get busy
if you go during a drought some ppl say you can see the tip of the church spire,i have seen debre broken trees etc in the lake not moving maybe caught up on the spire.

bigblue
80-90 Mem No: 8565

Post by bigblue »

Thanks for your replies folks, got some good ideas now....

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

fairwynds wrote:Just had a great few days away in the camper. Was heading up from the south coast to visit my daughter in Stoke, and detoured for a few days into North Wales. Due to awful M6 traffic, I arrived at Lake Vyrnwy in the dark, but due to some recent posts here (thanks Ian iirc) knew there would be places to wild camp. My plan was to test out some new kit in the van. Winter tyres/propex/on board water tank/water boiling stove. Have been getting the van ready for some long distance European and beyond (?) travels...
I awoke the following morning to this great spot :ok

...a spot of breakfast before a cycle ride around the lake (it's about 10 miles, and yes, there are many spots to wild camp on the way around). It was lovely and quiet, being off season.

Leaving just after lunch, I decided to venture along some very minor roads! Without owning a Syncro, I didn't venture too far off the beaten track!

As we climbed higher, on the road up towards Bala, we went up into the clouds/fog. There were some steep drops off to the side, I guess something I will have to get used to if my forthcoming trips to the mountain areas of Europe come to fruition!

Spent the next day in Snowdonia, at a favourite spot near Tryfan :D Met some great people who were braving the elements under canvas. I did feel a little guilty as the night drew in and I flicked the switch on the Propex!

Next day, drove back on the A5, followed a burgundy A reg T25 Westy hitop for a while (with one of Steve's Gasure stickers in the rear window), but whoever it was either had a great engine and/or knew the roads....they were fair bombing along!
All in all, a great few days, and apart from a niggly, small coolant leak from a recent new water pump fitting, all was well with the old girl :ok
We drove over the same pass...from Bala to lake Vyrnwy this morning looked just like your trip, lots of low cloud and sideways rain :lol:
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

The Welsh do 'sideways rain' the best eh?! :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

vandad
80-90 Mem No: 8081

Post by vandad »

We took the topper on the van to Bala (Lake Tegyd) yesterday. Marvellous day. Sunshine all day and loads of wind. And everything stayed the right way up. It's really easy to get boats into the lake at the foreshore car park at the north end. We'll be sailing there again. Great. Off to Hay on Wye tomorrow for a few nights. Van dad.
1989 Magnum(?) Multivan LHD German Import was JX, now AAZ

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

vandad wrote:We took the topper on the van to Bala (Lake Tegyd) yesterday. Marvellous day. Sunshine all day and loads of wind. And everything stayed the right way up. It's really easy to get boats into the lake at the foreshore car park at the north end. We'll be sailing there again. Great. Off to Hay on Wye tomorrow for a few nights. Van dad.

Excellent! I might join u guys one day, tow my Topaz up there :-)
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288