Going to buy an inflatable canoe

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Going to buy an inflatable canoe

Post by ringo »

For this years France trip I'm going to get a blow up two man canoe for us to mess around on the lake next to our site.

I think I'm going for a sevylor Tahiti. It's £120 new which is nice and cheap. The reviews are pretty good considering the price - and if I don't use it then I won't feel too bad.

However, as with all these things, there are better and more expensive options out there. I was looking on "song of the paddle" forum and the sevylor Colorado seems a very popular choice. And there is the Hudson. Hmmm.

Also, do I go for a single paddle or a long double ended paddle?

I know a few of you have gone down this route and ended up with a rigid canoe - generally a sit on one. However, I want to get the kids in with me so if I was going rigid it would be a Canadian canoe style. Ey are expensive and hard to get on the roof - so I was thinking a inflatable would be best.

Appreciate any feedback you guys may have on the subject.

Cheers,

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Cavinghippy
80-90 Mem No: 11068

Re: Going to buy an inflatable canoe

Post by Cavinghippy »

Ey up Ringo.

We were in a similar predicament last summer when we were camping on the Dordogne. Although there is just the two of us we got a Sevylor Hudson from Decathlon ( nr you in Giltbrook). Takes 10 mins from unpacking to sailing and 2 adults with the double ended oars from decathlon make Hudson fly along, well as fast as an inflatable will go. The inflatable seats are great and supportive and offer loads of adjustment but the main plus is the splash guard at the bow and stern, it really stops a lot of water getting on board. You can also stash a couple of waterproof bags in there for food, wine, beer and other essential French supplies!
Let me know if you need any more help.
Andy

ringo

Post by ringo »

Thanks for that Andy.

I'm going to decathlon on Sunday and will take a look.

Ringo

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Disco's got a rigid on his roof that he never uses :wink: If you remove it for him, it will save him having to keep stopping and ensuring the straps are tight enough :lol:
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Post by donnieg »

Hi we bought one a couple of years ago and think it is great for what we need,can't remember which sevylor it is off hand but as already said you can blow them up and be on the water in about ten mins and we use the double peddles.

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

I have had both rigid and inflatable, the inflatable has had much more use because its so easy to transport. We are currently using a Colorado and hope to get a second one for this summer.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Seriously Ringo dont waist your money, they are rubbish. I had a go in one :lol:

Jake bought a Canadian canoe style one from Costco that was respectable enough but if I were you I would just rent one with all the life jackets etc when you get there to save lugging one around. If you get on with them after that then look into buying one.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

donnieg wrote: ........ and we use the double peddles.

Donnie, Ringo's after a canoe not a pedalo. :lol:
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

andypandy1930
80-90 Mem No: 3589

Post by andypandy1930 »

Hi mate I've got a stearns it's American I think off hand and its great although it did cost over £400 but we take it everywhere it fits in the locker on the gipsy a treat

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

Great place for advice :ok http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... le-Canoes-(all-makes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Quit ad modum panis tosti

ringo

Post by ringo »

Thanks guys.

Yes, I've been on the song of the paddle and perhaps I should join and ask there!

I'm basically wondering how much money I need to spend. It's looking around the £300 mark.

That's too much. Bizarrely 2nd hand ones on eBay don't go much cheaper than a new one (even this time of year) so I may as well get a new one with a warranty if I get one.

Jed, you may be right. One half of me wants to invest in something that I can do with the kids for the next 15 years. All my holidays tend to revive around water - I'm just drawn to it. However, the other half of me remembers how good I am at wasting money.

We shall see.....

Thanks for your input guys...

Ringo

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

We have a three person inflatable and it's great! I'm pretty big and it's very stable and easy to get out of the bag and into the water, the decrapolon double ended oars are good, adjustable and pack down small.

I was really surprised how pod the seats are , I expected them to give next to no support but I was wrong .

We wouldnt mess with a rigid , too much hassle carrying it about , but this is easy and just as good .

I can't remember the make bu Zoe will, we got it off eBay after looking at the decrapolon ones and deciding they couldn't carry the weight of the three of us and a little baggage !

Spend a couple of quid more , you won't loose it, as resale value , as you said is very high compared to new
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

ringo wrote:
Jed, you may be right. One half of me wants to invest in something that I can do with the kids for the next 15 years. All my holidays tend to revive around water - I'm just drawn to it. However, the other half of me remembers how good I am at wasting money.

Ringo

Try both like I have and make your mind up. Next time your near ours when its slightly warmer we will go out on Jakes ridged ( :shock: ) as he has it stored on The Thames across the road from his house and is a member of a boat club thats quite good and full of boating types to get info from. I always find it good to get some expert advice especially where kids are involved then you can make a judgement for yourself based on experience. Ask Mark what his floppy blow up was like :lol:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

Pop along to your local canoe dealer most of them have demo boats to try and you can't beat some advice from people who really know what they're talking about.
Also having a little paddle is a nice way of spending a few hours shopping :ok
Quit ad modum panis tosti

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Ringo what do you want canoe or kayak ?

My inflatable sit on top kayak is rubbish on the sea ( dangerous in fact) but on a river its fine . The sit on top kayaks that I have are great both on the sea and rivers , but can only carry 1 adult , the other big one that I owned would carry me and Katy but was BIG and heavyish to get up on the roof.

The inflatable canoe's that my family have are great on rivers/lakes .. but I haven't see/rode one on the sea .
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori