Vendee region of France...

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Vendee region of France...

Post by pocolow »

Well we've booked a great campsite on the Vendee coast for August, just the Euro Tunnel to book now. Anyone one been to this area before and got any recomendations of places to visit....This is where we are staying 5* for only £23 a night.. :D
http://www.camping-brunelles.com/campin ... ord-de-mer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark :ok
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Vendee region of France...

Post by Ralf85 »

The Atlantic coast from there and La Rochelle downwards is great. I've only spent a couple of days on each visit to that area, so I'm not best placed to advise on places to visit. I am sure others will. Tip - it will be heaving on the roads around that part of France (just like the Med coast) in August, so allow plenty of time to get to places. You will come across sand yachting and other beach activities in that area and the warm breezes are also ideal for kite flying and surfing.

What I would point out is that there is a 400 mile+ drive to where you want to go. Ignore the suggstions on route planners that it only takes 6 hours to get there. That is based upon driving mainly on motorways at the speed limit which your bus (if it's like mine) will never achieve. So I suggest that you allow for an overnight stopover on the way there (I reckon on a maximum of 300 miles in a day, including stops). Bonne voyage!

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

Ralf85 wrote:The Atlantic coast from there and La Rochelle downwards is great. I've only spent a couple of days on each visit to that area, so I'm not best placed to advise on places to visit. I am sure others will. Tip - it will be heaving on the roads around that part of France (just like the Med coast) in August, so allow plenty of time to get to places. You will come across sand yachting and other beach activities in that area and the warm breezes are also ideal for kite flying and surfing.

What I would point out is that there is a 400 mile+ drive to where you want to go. Ignore the suggstions on route planners that it only takes 6 hours to get there. That is based upon driving mainly on motorways at the speed limit which your bus (if it's like mine) will never achieve. So I suggest that you allow for an overnight stopover on the way there (I reckon on a maximum of 300 miles in a day, including stops). Bonne voyage!
We went south of La Rochelle a couple of years ago , and we took two days getting there doing just a couple of hundred miles a day at a steady 55mph... :lol: ...Cheers

thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REG HOLDSWORTH T3
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by REG HOLDSWORTH T3 »

We just booked for August too but going overnight to st Malo then Caen on way back.
Fleeced me 800 quid for it.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

I love the Vendee

St Gilles Croix de Vie - lovely town with harbour and surfable beach. Lots of places to eat
Normoutier - see if you can get the tide times and drive on the causeway
Chateau D'Apremont
Parc des Dunes - unusual amusement park as a lot of the rides are human powered, has a quiet atmosphere and good value.
Les Sables-d'Ollonne - fantastic postcard beach, if the weather is good it is busy but you can see the fish swimming around your feet in the sea.
[img=http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/chateau-de-barbe-blue.htm]Château de Barbe Blue.[/img] The French don't get too tied down with H &S so places likes this are quite cool, You can get to have a go with crossbows trebuchets, they have a show (entirely in French ) with actors, horse riding, and knights fighting. There are pedal jousting horses and other side shows.

As you will read, most of these attractions were quite cheap so should suit you :D

The forests on the coast just north of Les Sables have miles and miles of cycle paths - if you're not taking bikes then there are lots of hire places http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/bike-hire-vendee.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, we found a fun day out on the Velo Rail
:ok
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

andylekker

Post by andylekker »

we've just booked three nights in la Rochelle in the spring so i'll be interested in any recommendations too

haydn71

Post by haydn71 »

If you're going to or near la Rochelle , cross the bridge to the ille de re. You have to pay a toll to drive over but it's a lovely island. I''ve stayed at Camping Sunelia Interlude on the beach at le Bois Plage . St Martin de Re is a lovely port with cafes around the harbour. Well worth a visit. :D

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

REG HOLDSWORTH T3 wrote:We just booked for August too but going overnight to st Malo then Caen on way back.
Fleeced me 800 quid for it.

feck me, my entire french holidays ( well one of them) don't cost that much.

bon route. :P
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Its not worth the savings IMO using any other sailing than Dover/Calais/Dunkerque even with the price of fuel nowadays.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Try LD Lines Portsmouth laharve return from £80 and a saving of quite a few miles.
2.1 Twin slider

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

nicq wrote:Try LD Lines Portsmouth laharve return from £80 and a saving of quite a few miles.

From £80 return? :shock:

When???

I realise that my lwb T4 is slightly longer than a T25 & may cost more for a return journey but even in November 2012 it cost me £158 return. I am going to France in 4 weeks time & the fare is still £158 return. In May/June the cheapest return crossing I can find is £198.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

Louey wrote:Its not worth the savings IMO using any other sailing than Dover/Calais/Dunkerque even with the price of fuel nowadays.

It all depends on whereabouts in France you are going. I hate the M25 with a vengeance! It suits me to drive 255 miles to Portsmouth, then sail overnight with LD Lines to Le Havre. From Le Havre I take the following route to the Limousin :- Evreux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans - Vierzon, where I join the toll free A20 to Chateaurox - Limoges. I actually leave the Autoroute at La Souterraine & cut across country to my destination. The journey is 340 miles & even in a T4 it's a bit of a strain in one day. The return journey is the reverse, most likely camping for on night at Les Andelys (sur la Seine) before catching the following evening's ferry from Le Havre.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Bowton Lad wrote:
nicq wrote:Try LD Lines Portsmouth laharve return from £80 and a saving of quite a few miles.

From £80 return? :shock:

When???

I realise that my lwb T4 is slightly longer than a T25 & may cost more for a return journey but even in November 2012 it cost me £158 return. I am going to France in 4 weeks time & the fare is still £158 return. In May/June the cheapest return crossing I can find is £198.
Sorry I was looking this month. But still not £800
2.1 Twin slider

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Bowton Lad wrote:
Louey wrote:.

It all depends on whereabouts in France you are going. I hate the M25 with a vengeance! It suits me to drive 255 miles to Portsmouth, then sail overnight with LD Lines to Le Havre. From Le Havre I take the following route to the Limousin :- Evreux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans - Vierzon, where I join the toll free A20 to Chateaurox - Limoges. I actually leave the Autoroute at La Souterraine & cut across country to my destination. The journey is 340 miles & even in a T4 it's a bit of a strain in one day. .

I do the same Evreux - Limoges route - the N154 for as much as possible. Just the right pace for day one of the trip. Then A20 autoroute at a steady 60mph on day two. I love that journey. I've tried alternatives but I prefer it.

I live inside the M25. Every Summer (except last year) we have left home at about 6.00am on a Sunday morning and driven through central London. There's no traffic, no rush and a doddle of a journey to Dover in about 2 and a half hours. Last year we travelled down to a pub/campsite on the Saturday evening, just outside Dover. Very civilised. Decent pub food a couple of pints of local ale and an early night. Then a 20 minute drive to Dover port. That is a seriously chilled way to begin a holiday - highly recommended.

LesBleus

Post by LesBleus »

pocolow wrote:Well we've booked a great campsite on the Vendee coast for August, just the Euro Tunnel to book now. Anyone one been to this area before and got any recomendations of places to visit....This is where we are staying 5* for only £23 a night.. :D
http://www.camping-brunelles.com/campin ... ord-de-mer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we live here, give us a shout! we live in the Vendee, about an hour directly inland from La Tranche sur Mer (our nearest bit of beach) ...so if you are here give us a shout! or if you need to know anything please do contact us! :ok