France - any suggestions for a month road trip?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cshots
80-90 Mem No: 11107

Re: France - any suggestions for a month road trip?

Post by cshots »

i would recommend foret d'orient near troyes if you're going that way.
i was passing on the way to the alps on my trip last summer and stopped off for a day - lovely lakes for swimming and relaxing on sunny beaches, might be a bit busy in high season, i went mid august and it was almost deserted!
have a great trip :D
Charlie

1985 Caravelle GL 1.9 DG Petrol (Billy-Bob)

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

dandaz wrote:
oorwullie wrote:in my experience of talking to people on campsites in france, the ones who've bought a guide book have thrown it away after they realise it only lists the right feckin expensive ones. :mrgreen:

I might put my rates up... :idea

you will put yer mate's up. :rofl
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

Ralf85 wrote:
dandaz wrote:
oorwullie wrote:in my experience of talking to people on campsites in france, the ones who've bought a guide book have thrown it away after they realise it only lists the right feckin expensive ones. :mrgreen:

I might put my rates up... :idea

Well I've been using these for nearly 30 years and the people you've spoken to clearly don't use them sensibly. The Michelin one doesn't only list expensive ones. The sites have to achieve a good standard and are checked by Michelin on a regular basis. I have seen sites dropped from the guide when they don't meet the standard. It gives you choices - some are expensive especially in Normandy/Brittany and along the Med - and lots of others are not. If the bozos you've met use their eyes and look at the prices alongside the sites they can choose. I suspect the same people can't use a map properly either. Often you can find a number of sites close to each other with very different prices.

Here's an example at random, of a lovely campsite listed in the Michelin that we stayed at last year at Masseret in the Limousin region. Prices: 2.50 euros per person and 1.80 euros for a vehicle. Our comments: 'Nice lake, toilet paper provided, nice hot showers and hot food in restaurant on site - lovely' What does cost over there is electric hookup which is usually 3-4 euros a night. That is fine for us as everything we use other than the stove is electric eg kettle, toothbrushes, phones, hair straightners etc.

The AA one is good too and is compiled from campers experiences. I use both. My advice - never travel without at least one of these.
:ok

what's your problem that ye need to be so righteously indignant? :?

the people i was referring to have used their eyes,ears and natural common sense and discovered that in a region where the book they have only lists 27 5 star sites there's actually a choice of about 137 even down to no star rating excellent wee places 2 minutes walk to the beach.

in way over 35 years of travelling france i've never used any guidebooks apart from my collectors item edition of stevenson's travels with a donkey. :ok

each to his own, you go your way and i'll go mine. i don't care if i get there on time............ :rollin
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

[/quote]

what's your problem that ye need to be so righteously indignant? :?

[/quote]

Neither righteous nor indignant mate, just observational. I too stay at sites not listed. Just pointing out that not all sites listed in guides are expensive and if it is your first time doing a trip in Europe a camp site guide is an excellent idea and always useful as a back up, particularly if you have kids in tow. Happy holidays.
:ok

dandaz
80-90 Mem No: 659

Post by dandaz »

I had to google indignant...I already know righteously ,something to do with brothers...

Forums are ace to learn new words... :ok
Member 659..

stoneageman
80-90 Mem No: 8899

Post by stoneageman »

One tip i'd say is make sure you get a brand spanking new road map. I think it was last year or year before, some of the departments in France changed their road numbering (just to confuse us i think :D ) I came a cropper a few times as my map didn't correspond to thet actual roads and was only a year or so old.

Go with a rough plan of where to head and see where it takes you. Most French towns villages have municple campsites so there's never a danger of not finding somewhere. Plus not sure how you're getting there, but LD lines is the cheapest and they got a few new ferries operating from POmpey to Le Harve so is quite pleasant

Have fun

Bibitybob
80-90 Mem No: 12021

Post by Bibitybob »

Hi, I'd recommend municipal sites wherever you go. They are cheap, clean and usually well situated. Even in July/August you can usually find places to stay in France with ease as long as you don't leave it too late in the day to arrive somewhere. We have always been more happy with the sites we've found rather than the ones we've booked in advance!
Places to go:
Phew, so many!
While you're doing the battlefields try and see the Bayeux tapestry too and wander round Bayeux. V pretty and cathedral is impressive. Loads to do but weather may be very much like home...
Definitely try and get south of Poitiers, especially if the weather is indifferent in Normandie/Brittany.
The Auvergne is super - very unspoilt, lots of canoeing, walking, quaint villages and churches. Also the Puys (extinct volcanoes) and Resistance history esp in the south.
The Loire valley has fantastic chateaux but don't expect lots of furniture inside. They may be expensive to go in. Favourites? Azay le Rideau and Chenonceau. There was a nice town on the main road we stopped in where there was a Roman amphitheatre with a lovely audio guide, narrated by a 'gladiator' Very atmospheric and we had it to ourselves. Can't remember the name!! Will try and find it....
My favourite place is Arles but that's a long way south. Camping near Orange made that really cheap and quiet when we went 2 years ago (with a tent). Avignon Aix-en-Provence and lots of bastide towns all around that area. Also the Camargue.
Carcassonne is lovely but busy. We found a cooler quieter place to stay but within an easy drive in the Montagne Noire. Several campsites there - look around before you decided. Some were noisier than others and had more facilities. We preferred one that was small, next to a stream with a kingfisher flying past each morning doing his commute! That one just had a visiting baker's van and shower block. We were tenting so not even sure if they had electricity there but it was lovely and like all French sites had plenty of shade. French people expect trees and to be able to keep cool.
Barbara
1992 Holdsworth Villa 3 1.6 Turbo Diesel bought Feb 2013 Leeds W Yorks
Cream Demon

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Oh and while you're there and you fancy a meal out in the evening, check out restaurants that advertise fixed price 2/3 course meals. They work out as good value for money. Often they also have reduced price/smaller meals for kids. And if you're ordering wine get the house wine. It usually comes in a jug and is normally listed at the top of the wine list and it is normally fine. That's all for now.
:)