Isle of Jura - May 2012

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andy mc
80-90 Mem No: 9006

Isle of Jura - May 2012

Post by andy mc »

Jura and Islay - May 2012

Hi,
I've been planning to post these pictures since last June, but life got in the way.

I bought our Westy Joker in October 2010, and spent the first 18 months happily pottering around the Dales and Lakes, whilst secretly hankering to go on a 'bigger' trip.

I spent a few holidays as a kid in Aviemore, Ullapool, etc. and had been back to the west coast as an adult on a few occasions.

Last May I secured a 'pass out' for a week on Jura and Islay, for a week of running,walking,biking and whisky tasting.

So here are the results of a fantastic week spent mainly on Jura, with a couple of days on Islay, with stop-overs at Loch Lomond and Dumfries on the way there and back.

Set off from West Yorkshire on a warm, sunny early summers Wednesday at the end of May, heading for Glasgow, via Kirkby Lonsdale, and then onto a campsite on the east side of the Loch.
Beautiful weather on arrival, memories of drinking beer and watching water ski-ing on the Loch until darkness fell at 11pm.

The next morning it was an early-ish start for the drive up to Kennacraig, taking in the magnificent Arrochar Alps, via Loch Fyne to the ferry port.
Once we docked at Kennacraig, it was a quick transfer onto the Feolin ferry for the short hop across the Sound of Islay on to Jura. The Paps of Jura looming ever closer on the short trip across.
Once on Jura we wild camped in the main town, Craighouse, mainly due to the proximity of the Jura Hotel bar and distillery right behind the hotel.
The last Saturday in May saw the annual Jura Fell race where the 200 Diurach inhabitants were joined by 250 fell runners and associated family/friends/hangers on.
The race made for a great buzz on the island, and all us invaders were made more than welcome by the Diurachs.
I spent Friday climbing Beinn Shiantaidh, one of the awe-inspiring Paps of Jura, with very steep ascents and huge boulder strewn sides.
On the cycle back to the van, I came across Corran Sands, a fantastic crescent shaped beach with white sand and beautiful clear water to bathe in. I even spotted a T25 Komet, with arguably the best camping spot on the island.
The last day on Jura was spent walking over to Loch Tarbert on the west coast, to Glenabatrick bay, where Glenabatrick house sits right on the beach. The house is /was owned by Lord and Lady Astor and is reputedly where Christine Keeler was whisked to when the Profumo scandal broke, to keep her away from Fleet St hacks eager for salacious headlines!
Not a bad place to be holed up for a fortnight !
After a few days enjoying Jura (the weather was fantastic with clear blue skies and 25 degree daytime temperatures) it was back on the ferry for the short hop onto Islay.
Islay had even better beaches, and is where the majority of the distilleries are based.
The distilleries are well worth visiting, with huge storage casks of malt whisky 'maturing' and a steady stream of German/Japanese/Americans all punishing their credit cards for the sake of the local economy.
The return journey started with a very early ferry from Port Askaig back to Kennacraig and then an overnight stop at Dumfries.
Overall a memorable trip.
'Helga' performed in true reliable fashion for the whole 1,500 miles, coping with all that was placed in front of her.

This year we are going camping in Holland and Belgium, but I'm hoping to 'sneak' away for a few days up on the west coast again if I can manage it.
Thanks for looking, Andy

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Isle of Jura - May 2012

Post by jason k »

Fantastic pictures chap, sweet lookin westy too!
98 Westfalia James Cook

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Wow! Thanks or sharing, wish that Komet had been me! Definately on the list, it looks wonderful. Nothing like those deserted beaches to make you love life.

Nice van too :ok

I really hope we get good weather this summer :D
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Wow! Thanks or sharing, wish that Komet had been me! Definately on the list, it looks wonderful. Nothing like those deserted beaches to make you love life.

Nice van too :ok

I really hope we get good weather this summer :D
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Nice pics and write up. Would love to get back to Scotland again this year but in the van instead of stopping in cottages. I like picture No 9. I'd offer to buy a copy but I reckon it's probably too deer :lol:

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Lovely. Just lovely.

May have to rethink my ten days in Cornwall plan for July...
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Post by Sleedale »

Fabulous pictures. dare not show them to. OH ,he will want to go - NOW :idea
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic

H Julia
80-90 Mem No: 9943

Post by H Julia »

Enjoyed your photos - glad you posted them :D . I plan to go to Islay and Jura this year and your pictures have encouraged me to get on with planning ! Julia
1981 2.0 l air cooled Devon

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Fantastic....I am getting so itchy for some time away in the van now. I do hope we get some good weather this year!!!
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

So VERY on my list of places to visit! Thanks for the inspiration :)
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

sfjbrad
80-90 Mem No: 8704

Post by sfjbrad »

Looks amazing - making me reconsider our 10 days in Cornwall over Easter!
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography - Ambrose Bierce