Italy

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mickeyflyn
80-90 Mem No: 10871

Italy

Post by mickeyflyn »

anyone here get down to Italy in their t25 ? we are thinking of going next year . any input is welcome :ok
1.9df petrol water cooled 1982 built registered 84 ,
If it aint broke don`t fix it !

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Italy

Post by Ian Hulley »

We went here 3 years ago ... http://www.oasipark.it/index.php?option ... 14&lang=en Not far into Italy but a lovely place and sensibly priced at €17/night in August inc electric hook-up.

When you consider the lunacy over the border in France in August Italy is a great option.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

....interesting....may well think about this for next year.....sorry to have to ask as I can't work it out.....but where is it...which park is it..
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

keith wrote:sorry to have to ask as I can't work it out.....but where is it...which park is it..

It's Oasis Park in Diano Marina, Liguria. :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Cheers Ian....its quite a trek.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

lake maggiore is great, its just on the swiss border.We also went as far south as lake bracciano which has a train service into Rome.
few pics here http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... o#p7800290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

keith wrote:Cheers Ian....its quite a trek.

I hit the 'Home' button on the Tomtom and she said it was 1600 miles back to Wirksworth :shock: (I reckon it was nearer 1,300 via the coast road and the Ardeche) The trip back along the coast road to Monaco was beautiful BUT beware the scooterkids from hell, half Italian-half Japanese Kamikaze :|

The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

slowbus
80-90 Mem No: 3678

Post by slowbus »

Hi MIckeyflyn,
Go for it, Italy is a fantastic place to tour. We spent 5 weeks doing so about 4 years ago. From Switzerland we entered Italy via the St Bernard Pass (which I believe featured in the opening sequence of the "Italian Job" . A trip through The Lakes, down the East Coast to Puglia (which makes up the heel of Italy on the maps). Our return trip took us onto the Amalfi coast and up the West of the country back to the Alps and over the Col De Petite St Bernard Pass (more settings from the Italian Job). Here are some tips, # we bought a book from Camping & Caravan club in the UK which we used to find sites. We never booked in advance and were never turned away from a site because it was full up. # avoid driving in the main cities (we managed to get to Venice Rome Florence by rail after camping in outlying areas). # the East Coast (in our experience was extremely busy during school holidays and in particular seemed popular with the Germans. # in comparison the South Coast/Puglia was refreshingly quiet (although by the time we were there was the end of the holiday season). # The Amalfi Coast is a must if you get this far south, but you should drive it early in the morning or late at night as it is usually grid locked during the day.
From what I remember Campsites in Italy tended to be a bit expensive compared to other places in Europe IE; France, The Netherlands but eating out could be both reasonable and recommended if you stayed away from main tourist traps. We are planning in returning to Italy as part of a longer Euro trip next year. So who knows, we may wave to you from the road.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

slowbus wrote: # The Amalfi Coast is a must if you get this far south, but you should drive it early in the morning or late at night as it is usually grid locked during the day.

Me and The Present Mrs Hulley (God Bless Her !) went there in '87 B.C. and it's a fantastic area ... use the SITA buses and trains (they work their timetables together) they are fantastic and you can look at the scenery ... IF you dare :shock: Pompeii is amazing (get there early before the Japs :evil: ) and the 'road' from Amalfi along to Sorrento is in the top 5 most beautiful places I've been.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

mickeyflyn
80-90 Mem No: 10871

Post by mickeyflyn »

Thanks for all the replies people ,will do some more research on routes etc .i`ve been to Italy a few times but by air so to drive there would be an adventure . :pimp
1.9df petrol water cooled 1982 built registered 84 ,
If it aint broke don`t fix it !

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

If you fancy a less commercial/touristic route then around The Dolomite Mountains is hard to beat. Really nice driving and not to taxing on the van with loads of wild camping opportunities if you enjoy that sort of thing and some sensible priced campsites in amazing natural surroundings. You can see some of it 2.30 onward here http://campervanculture.com/2011/10/tra ... an-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could just keep going to Slovenia, I don't know anyone who has been and not loved it :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Siegfried
80-90 Mem No: 10126

Post by Siegfried »

Hi
We did a similar trip to "Slowbus" in Summer 2011. Would agree with all the comments. Do go! We came into italy from Insbruck, and drove right down to Pulgia. Note - the East coast is very rugged, I believe West coast more sandy and beaches. All driving in Itlay - best described as "very intersting" - I think I was called "Basto" once!!!

Cheers
T25. 1.9 DG WBX Petrol/LPG

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

It's a lovely country with the best ice cream and some spectacular scenery and architecture, but take plenty of cash (check out the prices). Italian campsites are expensive for what they are. Fuel prices are high and eating out is expensive for what you get. If you haven't the cash France offers the same but cheaper all round. Your choice. Have fun with whatever you choose.
:ok