Which Way To Go?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bennybobcolleydog
80-90 Mem No: 11633

Which Way To Go?

Post by bennybobcolleydog »

We are emigrating to The Costa del Sol ( when/if the house sells)
I have dedicated 3 full days for the drive but could add days if advised
Route is showing 1550 miles . Are there any suggestions of a scenic route
Thinking approx Chunnel , le mans, Bordeaux, San sebastian, Madrid ( outskirts ) and due south
Any better options ???

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Re: Which Way To Go?

Post by bootie3367 »

Whereabouts are you going to end up? Due south from Madrid is pretty boring if you stick to the main roads, OK for eating up the miles! I would say once you get past Valdepenas the scenery gets better. Again it depends on where you are heading for, you can head for Cordova and from there go south to Malaga or aim for Granada and take in some of the Sierra Nevada, oh and if you have the time, a winter walk around the Alhambra Palace is good! Then take drive east through the Sierra's and enjoy, if your heading for Almeria stop off in Tabernas, that's on the edge of Europe's only desert. If your heading for Murcia you can still enjoy that part as well.

Whatever way you are going, good luck and enjoy!

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

bennybobcolleydog
80-90 Mem No: 11633

Post by bennybobcolleydog »

Thanks Jon

Heading to Benalmadena Costa . Would you go Atlantic coast through France ?? I have driven mid France route to Cote d'Azur as a lad but never done Atlantic route , it looks pretty
Scenic from Bordeaux area through edge of Pyrenees ?? Is my 3 day drive time realistic ??

Thanks again for your comment

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

That's the exact route I went to Granada in the summer. Santander down through to Burgos through the mountains is nice. Agree about the drive from Madrid. There's a really nice area called parque natural de despenaperros which is awesome. The road now barges straight through it though. You can still drive the old road. Well worth a stop, used to be loads of fruit sellers on it too.

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

bennybobcolleydog wrote:Thanks Jon

Heading to Benalmadena Costa . Would you go Atlantic coast through France ?? I have driven mid France route to Cote d'Azur as a lad but never done Atlantic route , it looks pretty
Scenic from Bordeaux area through edge of Pyrenees ?? Is my 3 day drive time realistic ??

Thanks again for your comment

Yes, atlantic coast but I would give it 4 or even 5 days.....depending on your priorities of course, do you have any deadlines? If not, then why not take a more relaxed drive, enjoy that scenery, stop where you want to, not where you have to.

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine