France in 3 weeks!! TIPS PLEASE :D

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Re: France in 3 weeks!! TIPS PLEASE :D

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

We are thinking about France next summeR for the first time - so looking forward to hearing all about it. I don't think your being military - my OH had a colour coded spreadsheet for our Hebrides trip!!! We didn't fully stick to it but I it is good to have a plan.

If you have your heart set on somewhere then obviously include it. You'll know by the end of day 2 if you're driving too far and then could shift your plans when there. My suggestion - make a loose list of places to see in the region of where you are going and then if it's not working, having a glass of wine in the evening and discuss a new adventure - part of the magic of a camper I think! You could always save the Pyrenees for a longer trip - treat this one as a first venture into foreign lands :D

Good luck and happy camping x
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

If your doing long drives the secret is to get up and off early. Get up and off at 7am and have some fruit or something while driving, drive for two and a half hours, pull over for croissants and coffee for half an hour, then drive until 1pm giving you another three hours of driving and arriving some where nice to explore all the afternoon and evening before considering a BBQ , and if its worth staying longer or pressing on to the next place. We drove from Croatia to the UK in 6 days using this method and didnt even notice the miles we were driving really.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

cal
80-90 Mem No: 9926

Post by cal »

Bowton Lad wrote:Wullie lad, I agree that driving to the Pyrenees & back in only six days is too much as it's all driving & no relaxation.

I can see what you're saying but for me, a holiday is more about exploring the place I'm in as I feel that I can relax at home on the sofa (my personal opinion) plus I enjoy driving and enjoy seeing the views as I drive through them :D

Bowton Lad wrote: Cal, on the return leg of your trip when you are driving north on the A20 can I suggest a small detour? When you are heading to Cajarc, go via Villefranche-de-Rouergue which is a lovely small town on the River Aveyron. The old centre is a bastide (fortified village) and well worth a visit.

Yes, sounds like a plan! ... Added to the route, I was hoping someone would suggest something in that area so thank you! Is there anywhere nice by there to pitch up for the night? :ok

LittleMissSunshine wrote:We are thinking about France next summeR for the first time - so looking forward to hearing all about it. My suggestion - make a loose list of places to see in the region of where you are going and then if it's not working, having a glass of wine in the evening and discuss a new adventure - part of the magic of a camper I think!
Good luck and happy camping x

Yes cheers for the suggestion, much appreciated! That's kind of the lines I'm thinking of ... It's our first time over there aswell so also thinking that if I can see as much as possible, make a note of the place we really liked and then go back there when we have more time. I have a feeling we are going to really like the pyraneese so if I can get down there by day 2, if we like it that much we could spend the following 3 days there followed by a mass of driving to get to the ferry on time - all part of the fun lol. Yes i'll let you know how it goes and give any recommedations we have - I'll take plenty of piccies too! :D

jed the spread wrote:If your doing long drives the secret is to get up and off early. Get up and off at 7am and have some fruit or something while driving, drive for two and a half hours, pull over for croissants and coffee for half an hour, then drive until 1pm giving you another three hours of driving and arriving some where nice to explore all the afternoon and evening before considering a BBQ , and if its worth staying longer or pressing on to the next place.
jed

Yeah I'm starting to come back around to that now aswell ... I did mention it previous but someone said it wouldn't really work. If I was going there to relax and slowly make my way around a small area I would agree - get up later lol but because we are more about seeing as much as we can, adventuring into the unknown and cramming in as much as possible (You can sleep when you get home after all) I'm starting to think along the lines you mentioned! It's still an hour and a half's lye in compared my normal week anyway lol!! :ok
"Nature and wisdom never are at strife." (Plutarch)

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

Cal,

Others will give advice but it is your holiday and you will know whether you are enjoying it or not.

We drove down to Austria last month. Nothing planned other than our ferry tickets. When we wanted to drive we drove and when we wanted to stop we stopped. In fact we were driving past a lake in Austria (Zum Amsee) with a campsite on the shore. Within 50 yards, me and the kids had said, we have to swim that lake and were reversing up to the camp site. We stayed there three days, before our trip we didn't know it was there. It is still the highlight of the holiday.

The great thing about our vans is the flexibility. Just go and explore and if you really do get stuck at least you can put the kettle on :ok

Have fun and tell everyone what you did. It's your holiday. It will be different from mine but you will come back smiling.
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

cal

Post by cal »

Cheers Bishop!! That's exactly what I want to do is something like you did ... I suppose the main thing I was worried about is driving, maybe not finding anywhere too nice and then finding out when we get back that there was somewhere close by that would have been alot nicer :S

... on another side of things ... I want to get the camper checked fully before I go by a garage as it hasn't been serviced since I bought it - Just an MOT :oops: ... Is the best thing to do to go in and ask for as fuller (is that even a word? :S) service they can give or are there specifics I should ask for?

Cheers again for the help guys, much appreciated and sure it will help more after me! :ok

Cal

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Yes perhaps a service would be a good idea.... :wink:

Assuming the thing is running ok, then why not oil change, gearbox oil change, bleed the brake fluid, fit new front brake pads.

Make sure all your lights work, carry a spare set of bulbs, maybe fit new windscreen wipers...

Be prepared, and don't forget this is supposed to be a fun thing!! :) :)

Just commenting on your map. I think you will find the pyrenees more impressive if you arrive via the Gers, say by Lourdes, and don't forget that Andorra has cheap fuel.

You're welcome to drop by..

Cordialement,

:ok

cal

Post by cal »

Okay cool, thank you. Yeah I think once we set off it'll start turning from stress to fun :P lol ... Okay thanks for the offer - Does our route go close to you? :ok

cal

Post by cal »

P.s. How much is fuel in France atm?

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

cal wrote:P.s. How much is fuel in France atm?

Petrol isnt that much cheaper but Diesel is considerably cheaper.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

Bowton Lad wrote:Wullie lad, I agree that driving to the Pyrenees & back in only six days is too much as it's all driving & no relaxation. Regarding Oradour-sur-Glane, I think that everbody should visit the old village at least once. I went there in 1997 & I may possibly go back one more time if I happen to be on that side of Limoges.

i've seen plenty of similar shell shocked ruined villages in france in the late 70's /early 80's and it is possible that i've actually been to oradure long before it became a national monument. scary stuff.

i prefer happier situations. :pimp

to the OP here, as has been mentioned by others here, it's your trip so do what ya like.

and yes, it MIGHT be a good idea to get yer bus checked over before setting off.............. :idea:
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

Get it serviced. But my comforting thought is if it doesn't break down in the UK why will it breakdown in France.
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

82JEW75
80-90 Mem No: 9673

Post by 82JEW75 »

cal wrote:Okay cool, thank you. Yeah I think once we set off it'll start turning from stress to fun :P lol ... Okay thanks for the offer - Does our route go close to you? :ok

Yes, if you deviate about an hour off the A20. Come off at Uzerche if southbound, Brive if you're heading north, N120 or N/D(10)89 to Tulle, then N/D(10)89 to the Gare de Correze, then follow the signs to Sarran.

brandonabbie
80-90 Mem No: 12054

Post by brandonabbie »

just back from 2 weeks perpignan very hot nice veiws,go every year,keep on toll roads!people who say not are mad!you will get losted!you will get stuck in traffic and you will use alot more fuel!any more info lets us no :D

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

brandonabbie wrote:just back from 2 weeks perpignan very hot nice veiws,go every year,keep on toll roads!people who say not are mad!you will get losted!you will get stuck in traffic and you will use alot more fuel!any more info lets us no :D

We've been plenty of times and never got lost ... that's not exactly true as we like to bimble off the beaten track and then find our way back. Peage have their uses .. eating up the miles when there is a time and place you want or have to be but we consider every minute of the holiday to be just that a holiday, it doesn't just start when we get to a certain point.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Bowton Lad wrote:
Cal, on the return leg of your trip when you are driving north on the A20 can I suggest a small detour? When you are heading to Cajarc, go via Villefranche-de-Rouergue which is a lovely small town on the River Aveyron. The old centre is a bastide (fortified village) and well worth a visit.

Villefranche is the nearest town to where we stay every Summer. If you want to visit somewhere really old and historical visit the medieval town of Najac about 20 minutes down the road. Seriously old. The castle which you can see well before you get there is being partially restored and is a place where Richard the Lionheart visited. The views from the top of the tower of the castle are just exceptional.
:ok
Patrick