Camping close to Bristol

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

salgarfi
80-90 Mem No: 9241

Camping close to Bristol

Post by salgarfi »

Dear All,

I should be heading down to Bristol in the Autumn for a conference. I'd like to camp somewhere close by, and most importantly, close to a train station so I could get into central Bristol quite easily. Does anyone know of a good camp site that would fit the bill??

Sal
1990 2.1 Ltr WBX AutoSleeper High Top

papa lazaru
80-90 Mem No: 3437

Re: Camping close to Bristol

Post by papa lazaru »

We stayed at a Caravan Club site many years ago that had good access to the city centre. There is one on their website called Baltic Wharf which is open to non-members. It was so long ago that I can't remember if it is the same site we stayed at though.

More recently we have stayed at Newton Mill in Newton St Loe,on the outskirts of Bath. The Twerton bus stops very close by - it is only about a 15 min bus ride into Bath and then another 20 mins train journey into Bristol Temple Meads. It's a nice site but you will probably be able to find something closer. You could always search on ukcampsite.co.uk if no one else can recommend a site.

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

Baltic Wharf is the campsite in the city right next to the floating harbour - would be perfect if the conference is anywhere within walking distance of the harbour
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

Hi all,

The conference is at the University, which I believe is a half hour walk from Baltic Wharf. Unfortunately, I've just phoned the site up, and they're fully booked for October, which is when I have to go there. So it's back to square one. I'm thinking, that I might have to stay in a B&B for the first night, and then wild camp when the conference is over. I'm going to Bristol from Wales, and I was planning to leave the day after to travel up to Norwich. So if anyone knows of a good wild camping site just outside of Bristol, preferably on its north side, that would be great.

Thanks,
Sal

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Can you park in the Uni car park overnight?
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

Louey wrote:Can you park in the Uni car park overnight?

Ah..., the Uni doesn't have a proper car park. Employees use many different car parks around the city (which the Uni manages or sublets). But I believe that some supermarket chains are amenable to people staying over night in campers, so if anyone knows of the appropriate chain, I'd appreciate it. I only want to stay one night, go to the conference and then head off eastwards on the M4. I think I'll then stay overnight at the Leigh Delamere services (pay the fee, whatever that might be), then travel to Norwich.

Any ideas? I'm all ears...