Camp sites Swanage - Portland Area?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blue Moonraker
80-90 Mem No: 7316

Camp sites Swanage - Portland Area?

Post by Blue Moonraker »

We are heading off to the Swanage/Portland/Weymouth area in a couple of weeks and have a couple of sites in mind near to Corfe Castle but as its almost ten years since we were in the area I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any recently visited sites ...main criteria would be quiet dog friendly, hook up and showers 8)
Its on the road to Nowhere, no one passes by.
No one comes to Norfolk, without a reason why.
1989 Red Westy California

MaddogsT25
80-90 Mem No: 10102

Re: Camp sites Swanage - Portland Area?

Post by MaddogsT25 »

We have just returned from stop over at http://www.woodyhyde.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This site is reasonably price @ £18per night for a family and £4 extra a night with hook up. It is quiet and near corfe castle.
The shower block is clean and it is central between corfe castle and swanage.

elsid
80-90 Mem No: 4623

Post by elsid »

The Swanage 80/90 meet in April was held at the Woodyhyde Camp site near Corfe Castle. It is on the A351 about a mile past the village of Corfe Castle on the right hand side. It is a quiet site with showers and toilet block, hook ups and a small shop. We walked over the fields to the railway station and caught the steam train into Swanage. The weather was a bit grim when we were there but I enjoyed it. If you look at the posts for the Swanage meet there are some pics on there and also contact details.
Sid
Sid from Bridgwater, Somerset, member No. 4623
1985 Autosleeper VHT 1.9 auto. (later called Trident) converted to run on LPG

Blue Moonraker

Post by Blue Moonraker »

MaddogsT25 & elsid....Many thanks for that recommendation and the link. That site coincidently is one on my list that we had a very enjoyable 10 days in 2003 at the time there was no hook up and the toilet block was to say the least a one off ( we shut our eyes to the basic non decorated breeze block building, the shower/toilets were ok and usable) and the guy running the site was very haphazard about his opening times in the converted shed he used as a shop, we struggled to pay any money to him for the first two days :roll: One look at the website tells me it has had an upgrade ....so I think that's where we will head to as it's a great base to stay at.

Is there much head room for a T25 High Top under the railway bridge ?? We have a pop top but our friends will be in a High top...... :ok

MaddogsT25

Post by MaddogsT25 »

My camper has a high top and was ok under the bridge :ok
The new shower block is modern and clean but you have to pay, we roughed it in the old showers because they are free :rofl

Blue Moonraker

Post by Blue Moonraker »

:rofl Love your economy drive...we need all the pennies we can to keep these vans going :wink: : By the way is it still cash only payment on site or has the real world caught up?

MaddogsT25

Post by MaddogsT25 »

We paid cash for our stop over but I'm sure they had a card machine on the counter. The shop was well stocked and open when needed. Have a good time :ok .

Vaniller
80-90 Mem No: 12106

Post by Vaniller »

Just back from Tom's Field near Swanage. Bit closer to Swanage than Woodyhyde. Definitely recommend.
1991 Transporter, 1.9D engine swap, Viking poptop.