Camping in Peak District

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Camping in Peak District

Post by meggles »

As some of you know I am somewhat geographically challenged. I can even confuse the satnav :roll: Anyway, I've never stayed in the Peak District. I'm just thinking about giving it a go end of next week for 3,4 or 5 days. May or not be with the wife (girlfriend may be unavailble too) :lol:
Anyway, what is there to do (remember I'm not a young 'un anymore), what are the campsites like (any recommendations) and what's the best route to the area. Anything I should avoid etc. Anybody else doing anything around that area from 20th July for a few days?
Gentle activities/chill time would be great.
Anyway, any advice and comments would be great. pm me if you'd prefer.
I may also offer 80-90 express, if I go, for anything reasonably sized. (Just may be moving a door to Chesterfield area so some room may have already been taken up).
MODS: I think this is too varied a question for camping and travelling but if you think it should be in there please feel free to move it for me.

clem
80-90 Mem No: 8432

Re: Camping in Peak District

Post by clem »

plenty of campsites round carsington water which is nice for a stroll round and got a visitor centre
if u want to sit in camper n not do owt woodland caravan site just out of ashbourne is noce (not that ive been 7 times)
hulme end near buxton is nice with a river near by and decent pub
coulpe of us goin up near bakewell weekend of 28th, i'll let ya know where when we decide if ya like :ok
82 Aircooled tintop (gone, never forgotten)
88 trident hightop for sale
07 bmw 118i
06 urban fox

bhpdub
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11205

Post by bhpdub »

Well...as they say, great minds and all of that! :D

I'm struggling with the fact I have not camped in my van this year, and the fact that TBH, I never really use it all! :oops:

I set about looking for decent camp sites in the peak district only last night.

There are loads, but the one that caught my eye, taking into account I will be taking my 10 (nearly 11) year old daughter with me, was Callow Top Holiday Park...Near Ashbourne, Not in the thiick of things Peak District wise, but very, very well appointed...So, probably not top of the list for the wild campers!

If you google them, I'm sure that you will find them.

The only thing from my point of view is my daughter does not break up from school until the week after (Frdiay 20th)...So it's likely we will be going over the summer hols.

I completly agree with you about the Peak District, other than a school camp about 35 years ago! (although I was only 6 months old at the time :wink: )
Its a crying shame that I have seen so little of the area, given it is no more than 45 mins from where I live! :oops:

I'm definately going to see more of the Peaks this summer! :ok
Last edited by bhpdub on 10 Jul 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

clem
80-90 Mem No: 8432

Post by clem »

callow top ok if ya got old tattoo's got a pitbull and have goerge cross flyin...if ya know wot im tryin to say !!! :run
82 Aircooled tintop (gone, never forgotten)
88 trident hightop for sale
07 bmw 118i
06 urban fox

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

Post by Thorgills »

We went to Laneside i Campsiten Hope and was good for Chatsworth, Buxton and some huge caverns!

Met our first chap from this site there so must be good!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!

KylieKamper87
80-90 Mem No: 9287

Camping in Peak District

Post by KylieKamper87 »

We stayed at rivendale a few times, not many vw's , more of the modern vans but it's a nice site with great facilities
1987 2.1 T25 Panel Van Reimo Conversion (Kylie)
1994 LT 2.4TD Distance Wide AutoVilla No. 19

KylieKamper87
80-90 Mem No: 9287

Camping in Peak District

Post by KylieKamper87 »

This is also good in the Matlock area, http://campingandcaravanningmatlock.com/page/our_rates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 2.1 T25 Panel Van Reimo Conversion (Kylie)
1994 LT 2.4TD Distance Wide AutoVilla No. 19

meggles

Post by meggles »

clem wrote:callow top ok if ya got old tattoo's got a pitbull and have goerge cross flyin...if ya know wot im tryin to say !!! :run
Got a tattoo and a whippet/greyhound cross. Oh, and an old whippet/Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. Got a couple of union jacks too! :wink: Think I know what you mean :lol:
Thanks for all replies so far.
Clem: Yes please.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

have a look at this list mate...http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the duke of york is a favourite with a lot of members on here..im still yet to get there mind

oh..and..alright Clem ? was nice to meet you a while ago :ok
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Thorgills wrote:We went to Laneside i Campsiten Hope and was good for Chatsworth, Buxton and some huge caverns!

Met our first chap from this site there so must be good!

Eh up what more of a recommendation do you need ! We have also stayed at Mandale Farm at Haddon Grove about a mile from Bakewell, pub camping at the Duke of York at Pomeroy and the Royal Oak about half a mile up the road from it and the Grouse in Rowsley. That weekend we're going over to W Yorkshire, hoping to stay at Holme Valley Camping Park Thongsbridge when we go to see the Beat at the Holmfirth Picturedrome[ if it's not too wet for them!]
David
the future is unwritten

meggles

Post by meggles »

weldore wrote:have a look at this list mate...http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the duke of york is a favourite with a lot of members on here..im still yet to get there mind

oh..and..alright Clem ? was nice to meet you a while ago :ok
Oy!!! You saying I'm a p!$$head? :shock:
Thanks Dave, pub camping is great, I'll have a proper look. :ok
Thanks for all recommendations so far. Lot's to look at. Should have mentioned I have C&CC membership so lots of scope to hobnob with the gentry :lol:

Silky
80-90 Mem No: 8535

Post by Silky »

We've been to Callow Top lots of times and have found it great, but more of a family park really with lots of kids. Greenhills in Bakewell is lovely with great views and not too far to walk into Bakewell but on the pricey side. We also found a treasure last year in Barn Farm - small and fairly unassuming but laid back and friendly with a fabulous setting.
http://www.barnfarmcamping.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's loads and loads to do in the Peaks. Ashbourne's a nice little market town, worth a visit, as is Bakewell and indeed many more of the Peak towns. Chatsworth House is fairly central and has fabulous grounds and a very nice restaurant. There are caves a plenty, Matlock has the Heights of Abram that you can reach via cable car. Carsington Water's great for an amble around the reservoir, Dove Dale is picture postcard scenery with a fairly flat walk alongside the stream.

Silky
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will p.iss off enough people to make it worth the effort

Silky
80-90 Mem No: 8535

Post by Silky »

There's a site actually at Chatsworth too but think it's just for vans and caravans so I've never stayed there yet as many of my friends have tents. A Caravanning Club site but it gets great reviews..

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclu ... _Club_Site" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silky
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will p.iss off enough people to make it worth the effort

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

Post by Thorgills »

Silky wrote:There's a site actually at Chatsworth too but think it's just for vans and caravans so I've never stayed there yet as many of my friends have tents. A Caravanning Club site but it gets great reviews..

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclu ... _Club_Site" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silky

You may have trouble getting on this site as the CC allow people to book at the beginning of the year deposit free so those in th know tend to block book without risk of losing anything if they decide not to go, hence usually fully booked!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!