Has anyone been to Churchtown Farm in North Cornwall?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ELSwervo
80-90 Mem No: 8479

Post by ELSwervo »

OK, Churchtown Farm, nr Gwithiam in Cornwall, we are booked in for last week of July-1st week of August. Has anyone been to this campsite? The reviews are good and the situation is great looking. We know Hale and St Ives this is a little further east.
We were wondering how good it is to cycle round the area and what pubs are like etc, any tips or info greatly accepted!
Is anyone else going to be in the area at the time? etc etc :)

ELSwervo

Re: Has anyone been to Churchtown Farm in North Cornwall?

Post by ELSwervo »

That would obviously be no then! I will report after the stay :)

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

I always stay at http://gwithianfarm.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; when I'm down that way. There's a pub called the Red River right opposite, I think there is a bar in the dunes nearer where you're staying but I've never been there.
The coast path towards the lighthouse over looks a beach where there are normally seals. (take some bino's for a closer look).
The surf can be a bit hectic but you can normally find some space.
The car park near the beach is National Trust so free if you're a member, pricey if you're not, there's a cafe there as well.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

ELSwervo

Post by ELSwervo »

Thanks Boxy! we tried to book that campsite months ago, but they only had a week spare when we wanted two. So we booked Churchtown because they did have two, (just).
We have heard good things about the Red River, but I imagine it will be fairly busy, especially if it keeps raining :roll:

ELSwervo

Post by ELSwervo »

Just seen weather forecast for next week, no more rain! at least darn sarf, :D

ghop99
80-90 Mem No: 8299

Post by ghop99 »

You'll have a great time, nice spot that. We stay next door at Gwithian. Fish and chip or curry can visits some night too.
Classic Volkswagen Camper Hire in North Devon check out http://www.vwcamperhiredevon.com

ELSwervo

Post by ELSwervo »

ghop99 wrote:You'll have a great time, nice spot that. We stay next door at Gwithian. Fish and chip or curry can visits some night too.

Thanks ghop99, that will save on gas and that is at least two nights sorted for dinner! :lol:

ELSwervo

Post by ELSwervo »

We are back from Churchtown farm campsite. Had a lovely holiday too. It is a great spot, right on the beach and nature reserve, with sand dunes and small lakes.For wildlife fans, we saw Adders, Bats, Birds of prey, gloworms,(at night) and seals around the headland, plus loads of butterflies bugs and other birds. Perfect if you have interested children with I-spy books! The beach is massive, sandy with some shelter, rock-pools and all the usual cornish delights. designated a surfing beach with RLNI lifegaurds on duty and lots of surfing school pupils!.
Perfect weather for the first week as well with fair days for the second. There were plenty of VW campsters on site, split,(on hire), Several Bays throughout the fourtnight and plenty of Wedges. Made a couple of new friends with campers swapping campsite and location tips.
The campsite itself was good,shop on site the usual facilities you would expect. Our only gripe was that the toilet/shower block was not cleaned anywhere near enough for the volume of use. It didn't help that there was, as always some neglect, abuse and ignorant disregard of decent cleanliness habits by some users. This should have been sorted but wasnt. Shame as this was the only problem. :shock:
The site was level in places, but there were some units using levelling blocks. Hard to avoid with Cornish coastal locations. We were lucky enough not to need them. The site was safe for kids to play outside, with the dunes visible from the site for the older children.
Excellent local pub, 2 minutes walk,with great food and full selection of ales, changed on a near daily basis. :D
Great location to travel around west Cornwall or just stay at the site and use the local beaches.
In all a perfect place for a holiday.
My waving arm was getting worn out as there are so many VW campers in Cornwall in the summer, it was unreal, one every couple of minutes! If you waved at us in our bright red wedge with the hideous body kit and pop up roof, hello again. :D
If anyone wants any info for the site or area, feel free to ask.

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, we go to Churchtown Farm campsite every year and were there the same weeks as you!!!!

Your description of the site is spot on apart from the cleanliness of the toilet block, the Gents side is more than adequately cleaned but Lorraine did tell me of some horrors she found in the ladies side........they are just not as refined as "wot us men is!!"

I am pleased you first visit went well, outside of the peak school holiday summer season the site is quiet and relaxed. Did you find the Jampot Cafe in the dunes?

We were on the end of the third row nearest the shop. Here's a couple of photos to remind you of what we are missing now we are back home

Nev
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District