Highlands & islands

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

schizowife
80-90 Mem No: 10643

Re: Highlands & islands

Post by schizowife »

LittleMissSunshine wrote:The most amazing pictures. I really hope the weather holds!!!

Snorkelling is meant to be amazing - am thinking of taking my wetsuit and snorkel.

I went swimming in my wetsuit on Eriskay, tad bit nippy but lovely once you get used to it:)

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Cool - will take mine!
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

schizowife
80-90 Mem No: 10643

Post by schizowife »

LittleMissSunshine wrote:Cool - will take mine!

I would :D I am so envious that you have everything to look forward to :ok Lush spot at Loch Sgioport on South Uist to wildcamp overnight, we got right down on the old jetty, fished and caught mackeral, gutted, filleted and cooked on the barbeque, LUSH :) If you dont want to risk the drive onto the jetty (although it was absolutely fine in our Bessie) you can stay at the top in a tarmaced area. Keep an eye out directly opposite the old wooden jetty at about 10-11pm. The otter sat on the rock just there and ate his fish that he'd caught 8)

LittleMissSunshine

Nice. I just cannot wait!

john1
80-90 Mem No: 10337

Post by john1 »

Now is the time to be there, Celtic music festival, check BBC ALBA. I love this place, great fishing. :ok

Kelvyn
80-90 Mem No: 11303

Post by Kelvyn »

Just got back from Highlands & Islands yesterday evening, over 1200 miles of good times and for the most part, dry weather.
Hushnish is definitely worth a visit, but can't say we were impressed with Applecross (though some of the views were great on the longer way there).
We left Stornoway on Thursday, just as the festival was starting.
1982 Aircooled • KTM 640 Adv • Honda VFR800

ding-dang-dhu
80-90 Mem No: 3927

Post by ding-dang-dhu »

That's me just finished getting the van packed, for a week's
camping. Hoping to head over to Skye and see where we get to after that. I'll post up some pics, wish we could head over to Harris but we only have a week and I'd prefer to take my time.

Thanks for the sleepy spot gps's on Skye, I'll give them a try, they look fantastic! :ok
Pete (Half man, half horse)

As cunning as a fox, that's just graduated from Oxford with a degree in cunning

LittleMissSunshine

Have a good time ! Just watched country file forecast and it looks like the jet stream is shifting back in time for our visit - typical :roll:

Kelvyn

Post by Kelvyn »

ding-dang-dhu, your van looks just like our 'Doris'.

Anyway, thought I would share some of my highlands and islands photos - started uploading some just now.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/44309024@ ... 1006/show/

LittleMissSunshine

Your pics are amazing.....arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh............

Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go......Five days until we go....five days until we go.....five days until we go...... :D

jamiehamy
80-90 Mem No: 10701

Post by jamiehamy »

We're not long back from our first real trip, a week on the west coast. Did Crinan, Mull and Skye and was brilliant. We stayed near the sea most of the time and midges were kept at bay. ONe time we camped inland they were bad.

Weather was great, saw 2 minke whales, seals and some dolphins. Watch out from Puffins too - pretty small and fast wing beat, skimming the water. Gorgeous wee things, and lots about.

We did a hopscotch, had we been longer would have taken the 8days thingwebobby. You'll have a great time! J

john1
80-90 Mem No: 10337

Post by john1 »

Kelvyn wrote:ding-dang-dhu, your van looks just like our 'Doris'.

Anyway, thought I would share some of my highlands and islands photos - started uploading some just now.

Great pics there dude. :ok

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Post by Madwitch »

Kelvyn wrote:ding-dang-dhu, your van looks just like our 'Doris'.

Fantastic photos! Any tips/co-ordinates for sleepy spots?

Cheers

Carolyn
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

Kelvyn

Highlands & islands

Post by Kelvyn »

Highly recommend hushnish, we couldn't find anywhere on the north east of Lewis, near stornoway. So would recommend staying slightly further out and drive in the next morning when you need to get t the ferry as we ended up at golden sands site, which was not the greatest. (or go into Stornaway and use the carpal near the terminal)

We much preferred Harris to Lewis as it felt flat and wide open, more difficult to find a sleepy spot.

LittleMissSunshine

Well first leg of the journey to Loch Lomond done and the van didn't miss a beat! Poor hubby had to listen to me singing away to my iPod all the way up (guess who forgot to charge his!).

We have 24 hours here then onto Oban for the ferry. It is however tanking down and mozzies/midges like you've never seen. Still very excited to be here. :D