Highlands & islands

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Re: Highlands & islands

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Cheers SW - On the coasts the midges were fine (except Glen Brittle on Skye) as there was always a breeze. Anywhere sheltered by freshwater lochs are midge's heaven.
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Post by Madwitch »

We're almost back too and will post photos when we get right back home (just in Northumberland now. Visit to son for a couple of nights and back home on Weds). Didn't have any problems with the midges at all. Blathered myself in skin so soft but have been taking garlic capsules for the last three months and they have definitely seemed to work (if there is one mozzie left anywhere it will normally come and find me!).

We've had a fantastic time - some places we'd love to go back to, others we'd probably only pass through or miss out altogether. Ferries were excellent - brilliant service but a bit grubby.

Met up with Little Miss Sunshine (and Mr Sunshine!) and enjoyed a very pleasant evening in the hotel at Rodel on Harris.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice - we've found some fantastic (and some not so fantastic!) sleepy spots.

Cheers
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

john1
80-90 Mem No: 10337

Post by john1 »

Glad you a nice time, looking forward to your thread, :ok

Dave L
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Dave L »

Hi all,
Im taking my bus over to Scotland for a 2 trip (hopefully as its broken down in the Irish mountains at the moment :( ) I had planned on Island hopping up along the West coast but found the ferries to be very expensive on the calmac website. So now the rough plan is:
Troon
Isle of Arran
back to mainland then Glencoe
Isle of Skye
Ullapool
back to Cairnryan through the middle of Scotland & stop some where on the way back

never been to Scotland or abroad in the T25 so any advice on routes/ roads to avoid / places to stay would be great (& in return I can help anyone out on Irish trips)
1991 T25 Caravelle Watercooled Auto 2.1 WBX DJ
Total Camping Ireland- Irelands Independent camping website

john1
80-90 Mem No: 10337

Post by john1 »

Dave L wrote:Hi all,
Im taking my bus over to Scotland for a 2 trip (hopefully as its broken down in the Irish mountains at the moment :( ) I had planned on Island hopping up along the West coast but found the ferries to be very expensive on the calmac website. So now the rough plan is:
Troon
Isle of Arran
back to mainland then Glencoe
Isle of Skye
Ullapool
back to Cairnryan through the middle of Scotland & stop some where on the way back

never been to Scotland or abroad in the T25 so any advice on routes/ roads to avoid / places to stay would be great (& in return I can help anyone out on Irish trips)

Dave

Your plan looks fine nothing to avoid mate. You will love Arran and Glencoe is stunning.

john

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Plan looks amazing - enjoy!!! Use google maps to find picnic spots by beaches - make great wild camping spots. Good luck x
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Post by donnieg »

Hi Dave when you are leaving Glencoe for Skye i would recommend going from Fort William to Mallaig and catch the ferry over to Skye from there rather than going round by road. If you do go this way you will go through Glenfinnan where you will see the viaduct from the harry potter films,then there is Arisaig which has some basic campsites right on the white sandy beaches.

meggles

Post by meggles »

donnieg wrote:Hi Dave when you are leaving Glencoe for Skye i would recommend going from Fort William to Mallaig and catch the ferry over to Skye from there rather than going round by road. If you do go this way you will go through Glenfinnan where you will see the viaduct from the harry potter films,then there is Arisaig which has some basic campsites right on the white sandy beaches.
Took a train ride from Fort William to Mallaig. (We were not in the van). The train was slowed right down as we approached and went over the viaduct. Very thoughtful of the driver. Git lot's of great pics. The road (where you could see it) looked a great run. That part of Scotland is awesome and it's on my list of places to visit WITH THE VAN in future :ok