Highlands & islands

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Highlands & islands

Post by Madwitch »

We're thinking of going from Oban to Barra, Harris, Lewis, Skye and Ullapool in August for approx 3 weeks on a Calmac Hopscotch. Anyone got any tips/hints for camping/wild camping on the islands - where to go, where to avoid etc? Much appreciated.
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Re: Highlands & islands

Post by windysurfer »

We loved this sleepy spot on Skye 57.633163,-6.198653
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Looks fantastic Gaz! One for the bank - thanks!
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

Poseidon
80-90 Mem No: 1025

Highlands & islands

Post by Poseidon »

We travelled though skye, harris and Lewis.
There are some great wild camping spots

This one really is in the middle of nowhere.. Yet there are still toilets close by!!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=58.18 ... cotland%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And close to Stornoway (we had the beach to ourselves!)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=58.19 ... cotland%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy your trip, it's fantastic!
membership Number 1025

Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Wow - that looks fantastic! Thanks!
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

REGGAJ
80-90 Mem No: 5617

Post by REGGAJ »

Did the island hopper few years ago and it was ace. Out of 12 nights away we stayed on a campsite twice, there's loads of spots to wildcamp, Make sure you prebook your ferries though, they get really busy, i'd post some photos but my pc went pop and i lost the lot :(

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Post by donnieg »

Hi if you are going to Harris then you will be in for a treat as the beaches are amazing as is the scenery.When you get off the ferry turn left at the junction as it will take you on a circular wich you will see luskintyre and seilebost beaches to name just two and you can wild camp on them.There is a campsite at horgabost beach with showers and toilets which works from an honesty box there is also camping at the black house campsite at lickisto this site only has two campervan pitches and the rest is for tents.There is a beautaful 15th centery church on the circular called St Clemance.Heading towards Lewis,Uig would be worth a visit. Lewis itself you can go to Calinish and see the standing stones there is also the garnin black house village and you have the Stornoway castle with the grounds you can walk round also a must while you are in lewis you have to have Stornoway black pudding (Charles Macleod) which to me is the best in the country.Ullapool has a lovely campsite right on the shore which you will see from the ferry.The chip shop right oppisate the ferry does really nice fresh fish and chips. Hope this is of some help

schizowife
80-90 Mem No: 10643

Post by schizowife »

Hi Madwitch, we are doing almost the exact journey although we are not doing Ullapool. We set off on 18th june for 4 weeks. will be sure to let you know of any good spots we liked and will certainly be looking for a few of the spots already listed here. Thanks guys :)

bhpdub
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11205

Post by bhpdub »

I'd love to do some touring in Scotland this summer.

Everyone who has been there that I know, have complained about the amount of midges/mosquitos...Any feedback/advice here?

Cheers
Andy

Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Thanks for all the replies peeps. I too am worried about the midgies (if there's only one left in the world it will find me :( ) However, I am a great believer in Avon Skin So Soft - I've never been bitten when I've used it (only if I forgot bits!). From all the info I can gather, unfortunately late June to early September is high season for midges. Two mozzie nets it is then!

I remember many years ago seeing a couple who were on a cycling holiday stuck at the side of the road with a huge cloud of midges round them obviously driving them mad. At the time we were tent camping and both smokers which seemed to keep them away. Hmmm - might have to take up smoking again!

Thanks Donnie - does that fish and chip shop still sell battered haggis? Hope so!
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

roj62
80-90 Mem No: 8026

Post by roj62 »

We've just come back from doing a tour of the islands. We travelled up via Fort William to Arisaig for a night then took the ferry from Mallaig to Skye (with fuel prices what they are at the moment it works out cheaper going this way than via the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh) Drove up through Skye spending a night at Sligachan then up to Uig (There is this amazing little junk shop and cafe in Uig just back the road past the calmac office and up the hill a bit) Uig campsite is a bit of a car park for vans but good facilities and the owners are lovely. Its handy for the pub, the ferry terminal and there is a brewery with a shop that sells fantastic local beers.

From Uig you have the option of going to Tarbert (Harris) of Lochmaddy (N.Uist) if you go to Harris then Horgabost campsite is fantastic (on the road to leverburgh) There is another site called Minch View (we had another less pleasant nickname for it) give it a miss. From Leverburgh (An t' Ob) you can get a ferry to Berneray and on to the Uists. There is a really good wee shop in Leverburgh thats good for stocking up. Also check out the traditional 'black houses' on the way to the ferry.

The next lot of islands are all linked by causeways so you can do Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay. We used the campsite on Benbecula which is handy for doing you chem toilet and water, nice owners too but the beach is a bit of a hike. We wild camped on South Uist, there are lots of wee roads that run off west from the main road. We found a great site near a place called Smiercleit this is the map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=57.1214 ... 1&t=w&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Eriskay there is a great spot just next to the main town past the cemetery, its a short walk from here round to the ferry stop (not really a terminal) it has a waiting room with a shower! From here you can get a ferry to Barra (40 mins) wild camping on Barra is a bit of an issue now as they have closed a popular spot by the airport. There is one campsite on the road to Castlebay but it looked a bit naff, a new one is being worked on over on the west of the island but not open yet. We went up to Eoligary on the north past the airport where a couple of crofters have opened up fields for camping, we stayed at Croft no2, really nice bloke and handy for the beach. (he's got a 5yr old son who loves it if you have other kids to play with). We drove over the causeway to Vatersay, a stunning island but camper vans are really discouraged and there are very few spaces we could find.

You can get the ferry back to Oban either from here (but it leaves at 7am some days) or at Loch Boisdale where is docks an hour later. Ferry to Oban takes nearly 6 hours but its great value (£107 for camper 2 adults and 2 kids). If you need an overnight before the ferry there is a small car park next to the tourist info office that has 24hr toilets and a water tap. The hotel up the road does decent food.

I hope this helps but DM me if you need more info as we've done the islands a few times (even been to St Kilda but not with the van obviously) What is great about the Outer Hebrides is that its really not that touristy. very unspoilt and the most amazing beaches you will see anywhere. incredible wildlife too. Be respectful of the environment (I'm sure you will) Machair (the grassy dunes) are protected and many rare bird species nest here, erosion of these dunes are a big problem as they protect the inland crofts so take care around them. The locals are lovely and you will end up wanting to take them home! very friendly and accommodating, if you do wild camp its best to ask someone on the nearby crofts if its ok (they will almost certainly say yes unless they are worried about dogs around sheep etc), watch your dog if you have one as sheep will wander onto the beach.

Have fun!

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

Madwitch wrote:Thanks a great believer in Avon Skin So Soft -

You may or may not know this, but A.S.S.S. has been used by HM Royal Marines when they go mountain training on the west coast. Never officially endorsed but used by many, I know I was one of them, many moons ago.
Prior to that, it was a PITA going over there, great place but not very nice yomping miles and miles with lumps and bumps everywhere (and I mean everywhere) from the midgies.
The Scottish West Coast Midge is world renowned for being the most viscious bloodthristy creature on this earth!!!
Only kidding, though it did feel like it.
Once the A.S.S.S. was introduced.....brilliant, who'd a thought it eh? Rough tough Hairy Ar*#d Commandos using skin care products!!! LOL
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

roj62
80-90 Mem No: 8026

Post by roj62 »

My worst midge experience was climbing Ben Klibreck in Sutherland (far north west) stopped the car in a lay-by at 8 am and started to get into hiking gear. I was wearing black long sleeved top and when i looked down it had turned grey! every square inch was covered in midges going mental! I was even being button on my eyes! (id parked up first thing in the morning next to a big swampy area so they and just hatched and i was breakfast!) Proceeded to walk up the mountain very fast. as soon as i stopped the cloud would catch me up! I was at about 1800ft before i got too high for them and they gave up!

The two most notorious midge campsites in Scotland are Red Squirrel in Glencoe (next to the washing up area is like midge ibeza) and Sligachan on Skye.

As with everyone else id agree Avon SSS is the best! we've got half a dozen bottles in the van! and never been let down.

:-)

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Post by donnieg »

Yes you will get battered haggis

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Now St Kilda is on my list!!!!
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.