T25 lowered, tyres bottoming out

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

t25bluebird

T25 lowered, tyres bottoming out

Post by t25bluebird »

I have lowered my T25 by 50mm, but living in ireland we have many potholes. the front tyres bottom out and scuff thre top of the inner wing when potholes are met. are there any bump stops that can be fitted?. or do I have to uprate the springs again?.
I have bought some 7x16 audi A4 wheels with 205/60/16 tyres. I dont wanna damage the new tyres .

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Re: T25 lowered, tyres bottoming out

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Did you cut 2 ribbs off your existing bumpstops? http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/St ... n_Lowering" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try that and if the problem persists then you'll probably be in need of some stiffer dampers.

t25bluebird

Post by t25bluebird »

I did cut the 2 ribs off the bump stop. perhaps I should put a spacer in on top of the shock to stop the tyre hitting the top of the arch,.
will check it out thanks.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Dont do anything that causes the shocker to act as a restriction to movement as I can guarantee you will end up with either a bent/broken shock or the shocker mounting will end up damaged
mike

t25bluebird

Post by t25bluebird »

can anyone tell me where to get some HD shocks?. I bought the lowering kit from fleabay. about £250. thought it would be ok, but obviously not .the shocks are not good enough. kev

t25bluebird

Post by t25bluebird »

was talking to John from Co kerry,A very sound vw guy. he sugested fitting 205/55/16 tyres to the front, sounds a good idea. will try this route an post update.
kev
Last edited by t25bluebird on 13 Jul 2010, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

t25bluebird wrote:can anyone tell me where to get some HD shocks?.

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

t25bluebird wrote:I bought the lowering kit from fleabay. about £250. thought it would be ok, but obviously not .

And there lies the problem...the cheap eBay suspension kits are famous for being sh!te!
Most tend to lower the front by more than the advertised 50mm and the rears are the opposite!

Buy quality and buy once. :)
There's no 'r' in bought!

faggie

Post by faggie »

only buy h/r they are the best as been said before you get what you pay for on my new van someone had fitted avo and the front was really low compared with the back best thing i did was to throw them away

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

faggie wrote:on my new van someone had fitted avo and the front was really low compared with the back best thing i did was to throw them away

They will have been the old batch of AVO springs.
They've been modified since and no longer suffer the problem you mention.
There's no 'r' in bought!

t25bluebird

Post by t25bluebird »

thanks lads. will chuck them . brickwerks look good to me. should have looked on 80 - 90 before splashing the cash on "pooh" suspension mods.
i wouldnt even ad them again to rip some one else off.
kev