been carpeting the interior

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

Re: been carpeting the interior

Post by cubensis »

Hiya mate, the job on your van looks great, really impressive. You have given me inspiration to go on that learning curve and do ours. Especially considering megavanmats can'y do ours as he doesnt have the storage to be able to do a high top. Just two questions;

1) How hard is it? I know this is a subjective question but is it possible to get the precise results you have achieved? I'm pretty good at practical stuff so am hoping i'd be able to achieve it.

2) what did you order for yours? Ours is a similar spec to yours just wondering how many metres you ordered and how much contact adhesive spray?

Thanks!
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

uniB
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3694

Post by uniB »

Thanks mate, glad you think it's looking OK :)

I'd say if you're the practical type you shouldn't have a problem at all – I'd say the key is to do a little bit at a time – glue a manageable area, wait for it to go tacky and then press it on and then more on and do a bit more. technique I use is to press it in place but not wiht full pressure, then you can remove it if you've gone wrong, if it's OK I press on with plenty of pressure. I haven't got onto the hi top yet, it might be a bit of hassle getting it lined up as it's such a big peice but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'd say go for it – it's not bad at all to apply, the worst bit is getting the windows back in.

Quantity wise, I ordered 15 meters, I think this is probably more than I need but I figured I'd over estimate a bit in case I messed up and had to chuck any bodged bits away. Adhesive – I got 5 cans, that was a guess but I think it might be enough.

Dav

Dav, Caryl & Mr O Leary

http://www.dubteriors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I make quality VW interiors

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

Post by cubensis »

Hi and thanks for the reply, i just rang CMC and they recommended 15 metres also, its only 40 mins away so i can pick up from them, he said its £6.50 a metre, and I think megavanmats is £8.25 a metre? Not sure of the quality comparison but will let you know as i have samples from megavanmats.

Its a £750 quote by the way from CMC and materials as far as I can see are about £150 tops. I know its alot of work takin out windows and fully relining including high top but I can't afford £600 labour. So its looking more and more likely I'll be doing it myself.
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

uniB
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3694

Post by uniB »

750 quid sounds like a fair lump of cash, I'm sure there's plenty of other things that are more worthy of that amount on your van! If you really don't want to do the windows I'm sure you could do the lining and get someone in to fit the windows back in for you – they're easy to get out in the first place. They are do-able though, particularly if you can get someone to help and you take regular anger breaks! I reckon, windows aside, you can get the carpeting done in a weekend.

Dav, Caryl & Mr O Leary

http://www.dubteriors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I make quality VW interiors